THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How to update your apps on an Android phone.
https://support.google.com/googlepla...r/113412?hl=en

How to update apps on a Iphone;
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202180

Old 02-07-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
Most of them don't even realize they need to update the Operating System and the apps on both Operating System's.
Also as a "Windows Insider" your "Anti-Virus" aka; Windows Defender is updated daily, most don't do that either.
I find it comical how anal we are with car maintenance, yet something they use daily like the computer or phone [which is a pocket computer]
They don't seem to have any interest in how to maintain it.
Different machines for different people. Most people here grew up with the former, myself and the younger generation grew up with the latter. Anything else is gibberish to people who don't care to learn the other. Which is fine.

Back on topic, I feel that a lot of it is still site based, as I have an "up to date" (whatever that means) computer, but it takes 45 seconds to reload the page, I just click off to another tab while I wait for it to finish loading.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
There is no delay in posting. If you open another tab or window you will see the post has happened unimpeded. The delay is acknowledgement by the server that your message was received and posted, causing the delay the sender sees. So it's on the server side, everyone is having the same issue regardless of device or browser.

Knowing this there's no reason to hit send again so I've had no issues with double posting, only the delay, in which I just open another window and go about my way.

Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
That's exactly what I have learned. The double post is because people don't realize that it has already completed so they hit send again.
Double ditto...

This has been hammered before yet persists.

I post, it takes forever to refresh. Like Frank, I just hit the "New Posts" button and move on. I have never seen a double post I didn't initiate by submitting twice.

As to planned obsolescence, I don't view it as sinister, but agree it is frustrating when support stops. Maintaining old software is a huge mess and a big expense for any company. Whether we want all the new features is a different discussion but I like my newer laptop, phone, and access to the internet better than the IBM PC I had in the early 1980s.

I just wish it wasn't so expensive to upgrade phones, tablets, and computers.

For me, batteries wear out on portable devices before they become unsupported, so I do agree it is predatory to design a device that doesn't make it easy to replace the battery.

Mike

Old 02-07-2024, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheThinkers View Post
Different machines for different people. Most people here grew up with the former, myself and the younger generation grew up with the latter. Anything else is gibberish to people who don't care to learn the other. Which is fine.

Back on topic, I feel that a lot of it is still site based, as I have an "up to date" (whatever that means) computer, but it takes 45 seconds to reload the page, I just click off to another tab while I wait for it to finish loading.
Kinda weird you joined today and these are your posts.
Nothing else.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
Kinda weird you joined today and these are your posts.
Nothing else.
I did just join today. I work in the industry, and have been reading for months. Decided I may as well just join. But thank you for noticing!

Old 02-07-2024, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Double ditto...

This has been hammered before yet persists.

I post, it takes forever to refresh. Like Frank, I just hit the "New Posts" button and move on. I have never seen a double post I didn't initiate by submitting twice.

As to planned obsolescence, I don't view it as sinister, but agree it is frustrating when support stops. Maintaining old software is a huge mess and a big expense for any company. Whether we want all the new features is a different discussion but I like my newer laptop, phone, and access to the internet better than the IBM PC I had in the early 1980s.

I just wish it wasn't so expensive to upgrade phones, tablets, and computers.

For me, batteries wear out on portable devices before they become unsupported, so I do agree it is predatory to design a device that doesn't make it easy to replace the battery.

Mike
There are proper and improper ways to maintain a device battery as well.
Most don't know this.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe the botnet is why yer device is so slow...it's doing business for someone else....lol

Don't forget your security updates and use a modern bowser like Edge or Frirefrox.

Equally important ensure your router is update to date as it is a sitting duck on the internets.

That being said, I have up-to-date systems that still cack on here and double-post....

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 02-07-2024, 06:25 PM

I know it’s not my device (iPhone X) because I don’t have issues with any other forums I post on.

I just roll with it.

They’re aware of the issues by now so……

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I did just join today. I work in the industry, and have been reading for months. Decided I may as well just join. But thank you for noticing!
Welcome. So are you a Pontiac person or an IT person. I only like the former. Lol

Old 02-07-2024, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Maybe the botnet is why yer device is so slow...it's doing business for someone else....lol

Don't forget your security updates and use a modern bowser like Edge or Frirefrox.

Equally important ensure your router is update to date as it is a sitting duck on the internets.

That being said, I have up-to-date systems that still cack on here and double-post....
The best browser with a built in pop up blocker that really works.

https://brave.com/

Old 02-07-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Welcome. So are you a Pontiac person or an IT person. I only like the former. Lol
Technically both and neither. I love Pontiacs, but know next to nothing about them compared to people on the board. Used to own a 91 Firebird. Helped older gentlemen with IT as well. But not a professional by any measure.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post

Frank

Old 02-07-2024, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have the Delco 12 volt vibrator for my PC?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-07-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Technically both and neither. I love Pontiacs, but know next to nothing about them compared to people on the board. Used to own a 91 Firebird. Helped older gentlemen with IT as well. But not a professional by any measure.
Cool, there's much to be learned and you're at the right place to learn about Pontiacs and human nature. Glad you joined.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Double post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
There is no delay in posting. If you open another tab or window you will see the post has happened unimpeded. The delay is acknowledgement by the server that your message was received and posted, causing the delay the sender sees. So it's on the server side, everyone is having the same issue regardless of device or browser.

Knowing this there's no reason to hit send again so I've had no issues with double posting, only the delay, in which I just open another window and go about my way.

Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
That's exactly what I have learned. The double post is because people don't realize that it has already completed so they hit send again.

This ^.

Today after hitting 'submit' I got an error message about an error and that I should try again after a 20 sec delay. First time I've seen this. Instead of trying to repost I just backtracked to the home page then went to the thread. My reply had been posted.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 02-08-2024, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From 1 of my old posts on the problem.
Tip;
Once you click "post" in a thread go directly to "General Forums" tab at top of page.
You Do not have to wait, even if the post is still not finished.
Select forum from list you just posted in, you will see your response.
Do not click anymore than one time to post response.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...=869946&page=5

Old 02-08-2024, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The double posts or messages to try again in 20 seconds are NOT because you clicked the post button more than once. 8 or 9 out of 10 posts i make get the wait 20 seconds message & i only hit the post button 1 time... it will take almost 30 seconds to actually post the comment, but previously & on ALL other forums when you hit post it is posted & shows the post/thread within a split second. So its not hitting the button more than once nor should you have to go directly to general forums or any other workaround of more steps than just hitting the post reply button 1 time.

Its also not related to updating a browser or security updates or router updates, i use an updated chrome browser with no router & all security updates are done automatically for my browser or OS... been using the same PC for the last 5+ years that has never had any problems on this forum or any others... just the recent issues here with delayed posts & a short time of not getting email updates for new posts in threads im subscribed to. I also have never used a cell phone or other device besides my PC.

The fact no other forums act this way and this forum never did this in the past proves its a forum/server/host related issue. I started getting email notices a week or 2 ago which is nice, but the long delayed posting on only this forum makes it feel like im on dial up internet! never had a log in issue but i usually use a emailed update link to get on here.

Hope someone somewhere that controls how the forum works can get it fixed some time sooner than later. have seen other forums have these types of issues before they just died... 301g had some minor issues too, then one day it just wasnt there anymore with no warning or anything for members to try & save or archive some of the valuable info there. Hope that dont happen here!

Edit- took 23 seconds for this to post normally & still got the "this forum requires 20 seconds between posts, please try again" ... i hit the post button 1 time.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, you use Chrome as your browser?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-08-2024, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree that it is the BBS software with the problem, but I think it has to do with the browser and the software?

I had some problems awhile back but nothing since except the long wait for it to post (at least when I stay on the same tab)

I use FireFox and don't have a double post except when I DO click the post button twice. (impatient usually)
My browser shows the tab as 'working' with a dot that moves back and forth. When it quits moving the screen updates and everything is peachy-keen.

BTW, when I use the edit button for the post it updates almost instantly.

This was edited twice at different times.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-08-2024, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
So, you use Chrome as your browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i use an updated chrome browser with no router & all security updates are done automatically for my browser or OS...
Yes, recent updated chrome browser. no router to update as mentioned earlier.

Ive never had a double post issues unless I hit the post button twice by accident, but I do see double posts by members that know how to click 1 time including some today from a moderator.

Only issue for me is the long post times that get that error message about waiting 20 seconds. as well as when editing a post it usually takes a long time... yet sometimes both these functions work as they should, but thats very random. Ive learned to just deal with it but wanted to comment about what happens on my end that isnt what some others have said is the reason.