THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Site faults

Why can’t this near all the time double posting mishap be rectified with this site?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they're trying to get rid of us??

Old 02-06-2024, 08:36 PM

Smile

Just you Bob.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Just you Bob.
My cheekbones hurt now.

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Why can’t this near all the time double posting mishap be rectified with this site?
What happens when quality control is left unmanaged ...

Frank

Old 02-07-2024, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suspect the "Personal Devices" are causing "required updates" that leave certain websites in the Technology dust.

It's NOT the fault of the PY site. It is the fault of the "Personal devices" + the "Internet Provider" = your "Personally-owned assets" need replaced with new. And that includes your "WiFi Router".

Planned obsolescense = planned obscene SW/FW crimes.

Prove me wrong.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Prove me wrong.
Is there anything in your life that's not a conspiracy theory?

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 01:35 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
... It's NOT the fault of the PY site...
I don't believe this. No proof, but it surely seems obvious.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Is there anything in your life that's not a conspiracy theory?
i had to replace my Ipad 2 with Ipad 4, then again (forget what this Pad is) but every time it was because certain Site would not react with speed, forget my User ID,or even load the Site at all. The physically-upgraded I-Pad would fly on the very same day of use where the old I-Pad would get hung out, and only work a few Sites.

Oh and recently our Internet would glitch, need rebooted. As if the cable was intermittent. Provider did all the signal tests from CO-Street-house and determined that the group of WiFi routers they use all had a firmware that became incompatible with:the forward and return digital traffic.

My I-Phone 6 is reduced to only being a Phone. Wife's Iphone 8+ flys on web use.

Yea, where's Stuart? i want my Stuart back, you AI bot.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 02-07-2024 at 09:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure somewhere, buried in the forum software settings is a "time out" setting that is improperly configured. This is exacerbated by the slow posting speed.

1. Person hits the "post" button
2. Software records the initiation of a post
3. Delay in posting
4. Software assumes post was successful and does not take into account the delay
5. Delay ends .. post is made.
6. Software sees this as an additional post made under the minimum repost setting.
7. Software shows the poster the minimum time between posts warning screen.
8. In the meantime the original post goes through as normal (although delayed).

Two problems here ... one is the delayed posting, two is the time-out configuration not adjusted to deal with it ... sometimes you get the time limit warning, other times both posts go through and a double post is made.

I think the crazy delay of posts is probably outside the limit of the variables that can be set for various time-out functions.

In a typical forum, these settings would most likely be available to the administrator of the forum and done "in-house". However the posting delay could very well the responsibility of whomever controls the servers on which the forum is housed. So it would basically require two people, both very familiar with their side of the system to coordinate to solve the problem.

Post delay = technical communication problem on the server side
Double post/warning = forum software configuration problem.

I suspect I am 100% Wrong. But it all seems plausible when I type it out

Old 02-07-2024, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone tried to optimize the tables on the database?
It should prob be done daily here.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 10:43 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
i had to replace my Ipad 2 with Ipad 4, then again (forget what this Pad is) but every time it was because certain Site would not react with speed, forget my User ID,or even load the Site at all. The physically-upgraded I-Pad would fly on the very same day of use where the old I-Pad would get hung out, and only work a few Sites…
Not to derail, but even mentioning the names of the iPad generations infuriates me. There was the initial “iPad”, then the “iPad 2”, then in a stroke of marketing genius the 3rd generation iPad was released as “iPad”. All subsequent models of that initial generation are just called “iPad” with no designation unless you run the 8 letter/digit model number on the back to decode which version you have in your hands. It was apparently too hard to laser etch an “8” or “Rev. 8” next to the code. There were 6 models based off the 9.7” screen alone so you better get to google with that faintly etched code off the back of the unit to see what you have. There was one model (Gen. 3/4?) that was even released as “The new iPad”. That was the actual model name at one point. 😂
To make matters worse, there are 6 generations of IPad Air models and 5 generations of iPad Pro models with the exact same ID mystery.

The obsolescence of each model is definitely calculated. If you were fortunate enough to turn off the “automatic updates” after your iPad/iPhone was maybe 2yrs old, you could extend the life of the of it for quite some time. After the first year or so each iOS update would drag the thing down to a slow death. Take an older iPad that hasn’t been updated in 2yrs and you have a slow device that still functions. Update that same device and you now have a paperweight.

Want to roll back that update to an old version that still worked well? Oh, I’m sorry, that’s not an option! My apologies again for the tangent. Please don’t mention the “ending a call/immediately calling someone else” issue or the update where they took away the touch ability for cursor placement in searches/address bars and I promise not to post again! 👍 👍

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
i had to replace my Ipad 2 with Ipad 4, then again (forget what this Pad is) but every time it was because certain Site would not react with speed, forget my User ID,or even load the Site at all. The physically-upgraded I-Pad would fly on the very same day of use where the old I-Pad would get hung out, and only work a few Sites.

Oh and recently our Internet would glitch, need rebooted. As if the cable was intermittent. Provider did all the signal tests from CO-Street-house and determined that the group of WiFi routers they use all had a firmware that became incompatible with:the forward and return digital traffic.

My I-Phone 6 is reduced to only being a Phone. Wife's Iphone 8+ flys on web use.

Yea, where's Stuart? i want my Stuart back, you AI bot.
You are 100% correct. There are dozens of court cases right now regarded planned obsolescence, bloatware, and right to repair. Phones are particularly bad, because all 3 are in play. They fill it with stuff you don't need, make updates that slow your speeds even though your device would be fine otherwise, and Apple won't let anyone but them fix it. The only nonlegal recourse we have is to not use products from companies that do this, which is rarer by the day

The Following User Says Thank You to LastoftheThinkers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wasn't their first class action...won't be their last...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apple-i...-what-to-know/

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This my have something to do with it.
Click on image to enlarge;see red arrow

Old 02-07-2024, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do not turn of security - updates off on any device.
I know some of u clowns are still running Windows 7 as well...
Outdated Operating System with no Security Updates is really stupid,and it only takes a few seconds for malware to infect a device or computer that has not been updated.
But what do I know.
I had no problem replacing my Iphones 6S battery myself.
2 years ago and the phone has worked flawlessly for 7yrs.
I only use it for my music collection storage mostly now but always keep my software on it and all my computers up to date on software .
https://www.ifixit.com/

A short video on botnets; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6MKiFVMSk

Last edited by KS circutguy; 02-07-2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is no delay in posting. If you open another tab or window you will see the post has happened unimpeded. The delay is acknowledgement by the server that your message was received and posted, causing the delay the sender sees. So it's on the server side, everyone is having the same issue regardless of device or browser.

Knowing this there's no reason to hit send again so I've had no issues with double posting, only the delay, in which I just open another window and go about my way.

Frank

Old 02-07-2024, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
There is no delay in posting. If you open another tab or window you will see the post has happened unimpeded. The delay is acknowledgement by the server that your message was received and posted, causing the delay the sender sees. So it's on the server side, everyone is having the same issue regardless of device or browser.

Knowing this there's no reason to hit send again so I've had no issues with double posting, only the delay, in which I just open another window and go about my way.

Frank
That's exactly what I have learned. The double post is because people don't realize that it has already completed so they hit send again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
Do not turn of security - updates off on any device.
I know some of u clowns are still running Windows 7 as well...
Out date Operating System with no Security Updates is really stupid,and it only takes a few seconds for malware to infect a device or computer that has not been updated.
But what do I know.
I had no problem replacing my Iphones 6S battery myself.
2 years ago and the phone has worked flawlessly for 7yrs.
I only use it for my music collection storage mostly now but always keep my software on it and all my computers up to date on software .
https://www.ifixit.com/

A short video on botnets; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6MKiFVMSk
I agree with you to the extent that most of the people on these forums are not technologically savvy and they should let the security updates occur. But most come with a series of bloatware that has nothing to do with security nowadays, and there are safer ways to protect your phone. That being said, I am more familiar with Android than Apple, because Apple won't really allow you to customize your phones the way they should be able to.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of them don't even realize they need to update the Operating System and the apps on both Operating System's.
Also as a "Windows Insider" your "Anti-Virus" aka; Windows Defender is updated daily, most don't do that either.
I find it comical how anal we are with car maintenance, yet something they use daily like the computer or phone [which is a pocket computer]
They don't seem to have any interest in how to maintain it.