Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-29-2000, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, not the plastic ones we used to ride as kids, but some nice aluminum alloys that could be used on my Formula or Nova for track & autocross days. Looking for 17x9.5 size that are tastefully styled, not the super-busy goofy looking designs that are so popular right now. Anyone know where I can get a cheap deal on a good set of used ZR1 wheels? For new wheels, Centerline seems to have the best deals and makes two styles I like. Anyone know of any other manufacturers that make nice wheels for decent prices? Thanks for any leads.

Old 03-29-2000, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, not the plastic ones we used to ride as kids, but some nice aluminum alloys that could be used on my Formula or Nova for track & autocross days. Looking for 17x9.5 size that are tastefully styled, not the super-busy goofy looking designs that are so popular right now. Anyone know where I can get a cheap deal on a good set of used ZR1 wheels? For new wheels, Centerline seems to have the best deals and makes two styles I like. Anyone know of any other manufacturers that make nice wheels for decent prices? Thanks for any leads.

Old 03-29-2000, 09:55 PM

Will,

You don't want to use Centerlines for autocrossing. Centerline has stated in their literature that their wheels are not recommended for road racing or autocrossing (they have recommended that their wheels not be used for anything with high lateral loading).

One of my buddies used centerlines on his autocross car at nationals in 1989 and had no problems. About a year after he purchased his wheels, Centerline released their advisory about uses for their wheels. He has since purchased another set of wheels for autocrossing, and uses the centerlines for drag racing.

You might want to investigate Duralite or litespeed wheels, or one of the wheels by Taylor wheel corporation.

If you get Grassroots Motorsports magazine, or are an SCCA member, there are a number of wheel suppliers listed in the advertising directory. These suppliers have wheels which are very light, and yet very strong in addition to being recommended for road racing/autocrossing.

Good luck,

K.

[This message has been edited by GP-K (edited 03-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GP-K (edited 03-29-2000).]

Old 03-31-2000, 03:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GP-K, Thanks much for the insight. Funny that Centerline doesn't mention that on their website. If indeed that's the case, then that rules out any of their wheels. I have some new choices, one of which is the factory ZR1 wheels. SLP has them on sale, so even with the adapters I'd have to buy to get them mounted, they're about the cheapest option. The problem with a lot of the race-specific wheels is that they cost so danged much. I'm not poor, but my last name isn't Gates either, so spending $600 or more per wheel is just out of the question. Check the website below for how the options I'm considering look on my car and let me know what you think.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...eelchoice.html

Old 03-31-2000, 03:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GP-K, that's good info to hear. I thought that only applied to their Convo-Pro wheels. Funny that it doesn't say anything about that on their website, but if that's true, it pretty much rules out any choices from Centerline. I'll certainly check with them before buying, IF I decide to go that route. I've created a web page with three possible choices and how they'd look installed on my car. One of those choices is the painted ZR1 wheels. SLP has them on sale right now and even with the adapters I'd have to buy to get them to fit, they're a cheaper option than most other wheels. If folks could check it out and let me know what you think, I'd sure appreciate it.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...eelchoice.html

Old 03-31-2000, 04:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry about the multiple replies... neither of the two above replies showed up until I went completely back out to the main directory and then came back in. Wierd...

Old 03-31-2000, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GP-K, I called Centerline today to ask them about their wheels. They said that while the don't warranty their wheels for racing use, that any of the two piece welded wheels like their billet wheels or the Telstars I've been looking at are pretty strong and should hold up to occasional autocross use. The Telstars are probably their heaviest duty lightweight wheel and are the ones I'm considering, but as mentioned I just found a good deal on ZR1 wheels and may go that route.

Old 03-31-2000, 10:14 PM

Sounds like a plan, I was thinking about using the '90 Corvette wheels I have on my GP with the Vette brakes adaptors, but I have concerns about the adaptors on a 4,000 lb. car. I most likely won't autocross the GP (I have a car that is competative in its class, and the GP would not be competative in any class), but I still push cars pretty hard in any corner, and vette brakes says the adaptors are ok for occasional autocross use.

If you don't mind me asking what is the price range for the ZR-1 wheels you are thinking about?

The lightspeed wheels are not supposed to very expensive, but I have yet to price them. I am seriously considering them for my autocross car (to replace my revolutions), but will wait until next season. I need to see what tire/wheel combo I will end up running when I go to nationals next.

Good luck,

K

Old 04-04-2000, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, instead of the ZR1 wheels I went with the '96-'2000 WS6 wheels. Found a good deal on them at www.aaarims.com so bought a set in the fully polished finish. They also have them in the silver painted and chrome finishes. I like the polished look the best and they were only a little more expensive than the ZR1 and painted WS6 wheels. There's a mockup of how they'll look on my car at
www.geocities.com/willhbaker/garage/Wheels/Wheelchoice.html

Wish I'd known about Vette Brake's "Occasional Autocross Use" disclaimer, it doesn't say anything about that on their website or in their catalog. Guess I'll just have to take my chances until I'm rich and can afford to buy a better set of wheels.