Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:20 AM

Default Ames buys Performance Years

Just saw where Py was bought out by Ames. I like them both but liked the fact i had two of them to go to. What do yall think?

Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just notcied the Ames banner and I was like no way! Well I sure hope pricing doesnt suffer.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think in a hobby that's not really growing that it is a good marriage, and it allows Chris to focus on what he likes best. At least I hope my assessment is correct.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Senior Chief

Now if they could just get the GTOAA and POCI under one banner I think that would also help the hobby (But I am sure that won't happen to many EGOS)

Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish AMES and PY the best in their decision, but I am certainly bummed as I can no longer drive to PY (about 30 minutes from me) to get parts when I need them for my car. Now I have to plan ahead on any work I will be doing so there is time accounted for shipping.

Good Luck to both

Thanks for the service,

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It means less competition, so I expect higher prices. I hope not, but that's the way it generally goes.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It may mean somewhat higher prices down the road, but at least the parts will remain available for our cars, at least for a while. So many of the older Pontiacs have already been either restored or crushed that I was worried that the day would come when our parts suppliers' business was insufficient to keep them IN business. Add to that that those of us who grew up with these cars are getting older and there aren't many younger people interested in this hobby and you've got a recipe for a contraction in the number of suppliers down the road. A dwindling and finite number of old Pontiacs available and a dwindling number of people willing to undertake a restoration is not a good formula upon which to base a business.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they can get the '64 hood scoop insert tool running again. Damn shame to let a part like that become unavailable again.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 02-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here I thought the web page was down all weekend until I checked my email and see the web page had changed. Have the tech people never heard of forwarding on an address.

I'm happy there is going to be a merge and very happy it Ames buying PY and not the other way around. I have only once in all the years of buying parts from Ames have I ever got something that wasn't the best part available.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
Maybe they can get the '64 hood scoop insert tool running again. Damn shame to let a part like that become unavailable again.
Already in the works

Old 02-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65gto69 View Post
I am certainly bummed as I can no longer drive to PY (about 30 minutes from me) to get parts when I need them for my car. Now I have to plan ahead on any work I will be doing so there is time accounted for shipping.

I agree with ya on that Mark. I'm gonna miss the guys from PY's store. We probably won't see them around anymore either.

I bet there's no PY show from now on. Parts prices will probably go up too. Shipping from Ames will be longer and more expensive too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Already in the works
Good to hear. Who's doing it? Are they reusing Kirban's tool or making new? Can't come quick enough for a friend of mine.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 02-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gartner View Post
It means less competition, so I expect higher prices. I hope not, but that's the way it generally goes.
I made a post about this in the main topic. There is too much competition by both the traditional mail order sources. Not to mention Amazon, ebay, Summit and Jegs.

I think the only possibility of a change might be at shows as Ames won't have PY to compete with. In even there, you are looking at maybe a lesser show discount and maybe a small delivery fee at some point but even if that would happen, it's still a big savings over giving the money to UPS or FedEx.

I'm going to close this thread down in favor of everyone participating in the main topic.

Don't forget, we're trying to 'bring the Pontiac World together'

thanks!