Old 11-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default 70 GTO Starting issue. Kickstart my heart 😎

Been driving the GTO daily with some of this good weather here in Ohio. Car has been running great. Starts up fast etc. Last week drove her about 100 miles. Parked--- 10 min later car wouldn't start.

The starter was laboring to even turn. Would kind of turn over. Then literally maybe 1 engine turn. Then nothing. Thought a jump start would do it. And that did zippo. Also the battery cables seemed warm plus a bit of a smell coming from around the starter. But after many attempts no real smell of fuel.

Car has a bored out 455. Automatic. New Optima Battery - Edelbrock Carb electric choke. Didn't think it would be timing as it was running great. Would a guess be fuel pump? Starter or maybe a combo. ?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since it ran well before i would Guess loose connections to starter or the starter itself.Just a guess though.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Assume this a hot start problem? When the starter gets too hot, resistance goes way up. Problem can be mitigated by ensuring good battery connections, and high torque starter. Also, there is a heat shield for the solenoid that may help some.

Also if you timing is too advanced this can also contribute to the issue, car may run better with timing advanced but still can cause hot start issues.

Not fuel related. Ignition and/or starter/electrical.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Assume this a hot start problem? When the starter gets too hot, resistance goes way up. Problem can be mitigated by ensuring good battery connections, and high torque starter. Also, there is a heat shield for the solenoid that may help some.

Also if you timing is too advanced this can also contribute to the issue, car may run better with timing advanced but still can cause hot start issues.

Not fuel related. Ignition and/or starter/electrical.
After letting the car sit--- also acted the same when Cold.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:53 AM

Go buy a mini starter. Best investment ever.

W.C.A.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455conv View Post
That is my next purchase..... while I am at it, I will have to check the wiring. And the fuel pump as well.....

The smell under the car near the starter,,,,,after trying to start was concerning. For all I know, it could be a 20 year old starter.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455conv View Post
Also... starter solenoid locattion is where....... ? Will check that as well

Old 11-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While your at it it wouldn't hurt to get larger gauge battery cables and insulate it along the motor.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you check your ground connection? Are the starter bolts tight? Not that its binding when its trying to turn the motor over. I also agree on the mini starter.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
Did you check your ground connection? Are the starter bolts tight? Not that its binding when its trying to turn the motor over. I also agree on the mini starter.

Good question on the ground connections. I replaced the block to firewall ground - I know there is another, which I have yet to locate. On a 1970, would it be from an inner fender to frame ?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a 70 the ground from the battery should go to one of the head bolts, make sure that one is tight and clean. The other ground straps are not big enough to support the starter current. There should be a ground strap from the back of the passenger side head to the fire wall, and another one to the chassis. Where is your battery ground terminated?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
On a 70 the ground from the battery should go to one of the head bolts, make sure that one is tight and clean. The other ground straps are not big enough to support the starter current. There should be a ground strap from the back of the passenger side head to the fire wall, and another one to the chassis. Where is your battery ground terminated?
Got it...the battery grounds to the head bolt as you stated. Going to re-check everything...thanks !

Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

Update ..checked and cleaned everything. Tightened all grounds. Same results ..Nothing.

Just for reference,I tried something . I removed the block to firewall ground- and it cranked exactly the same...weak and no startup.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you put a meter on the battery to see how any volts it has? Maybe a bad cell and you only have 10 volts. Or the starter just took a dump. How old are the battery cables? are they the bolt on ends with corrosion under the cable clamps?

Old 11-20-2015, 01:26 AM
Suspended

It sounds like your problem is the starter itself. When they get old they draw a lot of amps & will sound like it's trying to turn a mac truck instead of your engine. Replace the cables with a better & bigger gauge as the old cables will corrode inside the covering. Then buy a mini starter it the best investment you can buy for your car. It will start like it has never started before. The old style starters even when new didn't work good once they got hot. Pontiac's have always started hard when hot. No matter how far you go back in the files you'll hear about starting problems when hot & old or older.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

To ck your starter, Make sure your er brake is on and safe to get under the car , Take a hammer and hit your starter with it 2-3 times hard, Then see if it will start. If it starts it is your starter, Works every time.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A quality rebuild shop can rebuild your starter with high torque components - as good as a mini starter (all most) - and you keep the original look and starting sound - mini starters sound like a mopar starting up as they have gear reduction.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Did you put a meter on the battery to see how any volts it has? Maybe a bad cell and you only have 10 volts. Or the starter just took a dump. How old are the battery cables? are they the bolt on ends with corrosion under the cable clamps?

So Far.... we have the Battery at just a tick under 12.9 Volts. Cables/Starter look to be the culprit....so far. Will post pics when I can.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

Testing a battery with a volt meter does not accurately reflect the condition of the battery. If you do not have a load tester take it to an auto parts store and have them run a test. A few years ago the battery in my GTO was showing 12.6 v at rest. I tested it with my load tester and it showed that the battery was toast. Brought it to an Auto Parts store and their equipment gave the same results. Put a new battery in an all has been good the past few years. I'm not saying it's the battery but only a load test will give you an accurate reading.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a similar issue at the track 2 weeks ago. Had a starting issue, replaced positive cable, car started, thought all was good. Drove 20+ miles with proper volts on the gauge, and shut down for tech. Wouldn't start, and had to get a jump. It acted completely the same (low crank, goes to click) while on the other guy's battery. Got it to start after cable wiggling.

Checked cables in pits, and found corrosion on the inside of the negative clamp and on the post. Cleaned it up with my keys, and it worked great since.

I never had a hot start issue on this motor. It was always found to be an electrical issue. I am running headers and Autozone starter, and 16-18 degrees initial.

I will vote for corroded posts or a bad connection at the starter.