Old 10-30-2015, 12:28 AM

Default Some 69/70 Grand Prix trim questions

Maybe some of you can help clarify for me.

1) On what I can find looks like the louvers used on the 69 GP on upper quarter area are not the same as used on the 70 GP front fender? Also seems there was two different 69 with distance between mount studs ?

2) is the front fender GRAND PRIX chrome letter same for 69 to 70 ?

3) I think that the trunks letters are same for both years ?

4) Has anyone purchased the after market letters for fenders and trunk and how is the fit and finish rate to the originals ?

Any help appreciated. Thanx Dave

Old 11-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Dave,

1) That's correct on the louvers... they are completely different between '69 & '70... while the '69 has the separate cast bars, the '70 has a one-piece cast plate that's painted body-color around the chrome bars. That's also true on the '69 louvers... there were two different types with different lengths between the studs.

2) There were no "Grand Prix" letters used on the '70 front fenders, but the SJ did have a "Model SJ" badge at the front of the fender just below the center body line. The '70 did have a small "Grand Prix" nameplate on the sail panel where the '69 had the louvers.

3) Yes, trunk "Grand Prix" letters were the same between the two years. The '70 had an additional "Model J" or "Model SJ" emblem at the right lower corner of the deck lid like the one used on the center console bezel.

4) I have not tried the reproduction letters myself, hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Hope that helps!
Grant

Old 11-02-2015, 09:33 PM

Dave,
The reproduction letters for the front fenders and deck lid are pretty good pieces. Trunk lid letter studs are a bit shorter so make sure you keep the acorn style speed nuts from the original letters. The sail panel louvers are good finish but the post are larger and you will need to modify a little to get them in the holes. There were 2 lengths, 3-3/8" center to center and 2-7/8" center to center both 4" long louvers. I would get the original louvers rechromed for the better fit.
Bob

Old 11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There were only very minor changes between '69 and '70. A couple of reasons:

a) GM had a strike that year that delayed the new models and the suppliers.
b) the '69 was very popular so "don't mess with success" was a valid strategy
c) more economical to not make major changes very often

GP was so successful that Chevrolet introduced their own personal luxury model that year, the Monte Carlo.

Differences:

Grille orientation was changed 90 degree
428 engine options (370 hp or 390 hp HO) discontinued; replaced by 455 cid
Vacuum power door locks replaced by electric
seat pattern design..
sail panel louvers mentioned above

2 more to go :-)
Old 11-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget that they changed the inside door handles from squeeze to standard small pull handle.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 11-14-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Don't forget that they changed the inside door handles from squeeze to standard small pull handle.
That is right = the 70 door handle was moved forward and up. Also for 70 the rear tail lights had silver paint along the "edges" meaning top and bottom and sides of the lens - the 69 was all red in these places. And the dash on the passenger side wood trim had different lettering - the 69 was a silver silk screen ( had thinner letters I think) and the 70 was more like a silver stamping. Would have to see them side by side, but I think they are a little different.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Well, since this is turning into a thread about differences ... The front turn signal lens didn`t have side reflectors on the `69 and they did on `70-`72`s. Also the rear quarter panel side reflectors light up on the `70. I know my `69 GP didn`t have the lights in them, maybe the `69 SJ did though, but don`t think so ? Also the center console lid is different, and on a `69 if it had the vinyl roof, the rear window trim was color matched. In `70, they just went to stainless steel window trim. The windshield wiper switch is different ,too.