Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-30-2021, 09:45 PM

Just north of Naples in SW Florida

Old 06-30-2021, 11:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Naples usually has several car "get together events throughout the year.
Maybe you will even see my guy with the W30 Tri-Power cars at a show.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
I've seen a lot less rust on the gulf coast than the gold coast, may have something to do with the surf.

In generalis at least 5 miles from the coast it is much less and being in a garage and regularly washed including the underside helps A Lot.

Am about 80 miles to the left coast and 60 to the right and my cars are all garaged.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen a lot less rust on the gulf coast than the gold coast, may have something to do with the surf.

Spent much time in Queensland have you?

Am about 80 miles to the left coast and 60 to the right and my cars are all garaged.

Doesn't that depend on if you are facing north or south?

Old 07-01-2021, 12:23 AM
Senior Chief

Well I moved north to get here.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Tenn GTO had zero rust until I was stationed in FL for a year or so, underside was covered in surface rust when I left ... because .... I thought it was cool to drive in the surf. Hey, I was 18 years old.

I can tell you, if you desire to remove every speck of factory undercoat ... drive it in the surf a few times.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the car is going to be stored for longer periods you can spray fluid film on the undercarriage. This will keep corrosion down and it will was off if you desire. I use it on my Jeep Rubicon before I go off road and it works well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-...Automotive_LIA

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 07-01-2021, 08:41 AM

That’s a great idea. I hadn’t thought of that.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have lived in Jacksonville, Florida my whole life. (yes, I'm actually one of the few native Floridians). While I don't see much rust issues on classic cars, I do see oxidation problems on such things as aluminum heads, wheels, intakes, etc.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 07-01-2021, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 69 Buick LeSabre that spent many Winters in Florida. It had a little more rust than I'm accustomed to in a car that age but nothing to compare to a car that came from Ohio or Michigan.
It had a dime size hole in the hood right near the windshield and the trunk pan seam where it met the tail panel was rusted out but other than that, not much more than surface rust.... And the guy I bought it from here in Atlanta told me that they used to drive it on the beach.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 07-01-2021, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I have lived in Jacksonville, Florida my whole life. (yes, I'm actually one of the few native Floridians). While I don't see much rust issues on classic cars, I do see oxidation problems on such things as aluminum heads, wheels, intakes, etc.
As a Tampa native I feel compelled to tell you that you dont live in Florida my friend. You live in southern Georgia .

Florida is a funny place. You have to go north to get to the south. Fun Fact, the capital of Florida is actually in East Alabama !

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 07-01-2021, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

Just so you understand, we put Tallahassee (Florida statecapital) as far from anything useful as possible and strictly speaking is in Baja Georgia not Alabammy.

The Following User Says Thank You to padgett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A good friend of mine had a condo right on the ocean in Indian Rocks. The beach was 100 yds from the parking deck which was open to the air. He kept a Lincoln Continental there where it was used in the winter when he would vacation there and had a caretaker who would get the car washed weekly and keep it up. . He would let me use the condo and car during the summer when his family stayed up in Chicago. Over a period of 5 years, I watched the rust progress every year, starting as flowers, then surface rust and then progress to perforation.

Bear in mind this was right on the beach with the sea breeze passing through the parking garage.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 07-01-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
A good friend of mine had a condo right on the ocean in Indian Rocks. The beach was 100 yds from the parking deck which was open to the air. He kept a Lincoln Continental there where it was used in the winter when he would vacation there and had a caretaker who would get the car washed weekly and keep it up. . He would let me use the condo and car during the summer when his family stayed up in Chicago. Over a period of 5 years, I watched the rust progress every year, starting as flowers, then surface rust and then progress to perforation.

Bear in mind this was right on the beach with the sea breeze passing through the parking garage.
Yes, for sure if a vehicle is left outside near the beach, it will rust over time, and covered parking decks seem to make things worse. I think, it's because the moisture doesn't evaporate as quickly...car just sort of marinates. It's a pretty punishing environment...every time the family made the trip from Gainesville out to our place near Crescent Beach, I spent the first day making repairs. Door/window locks and hardware, awnings, fascia, flashing, gutters, AC condensers...every week it was something different.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rust will be accelerated anywhere the relative humidity frequently exceeds about 40% (or obviously if the steel is wet). The corrosion process requires electrical charge to move using ions on the surface. RH over 50% is a big "enabler" for this - like a "cliff" for atmospheric corrosion. Salt is obviously another accelerant (more ions). Crevices (anywhere 2 steel parts are joined or another material rests against steel) will be at highest risk because humid air acts more like liquid water in very small gaps. Net: follow the RH and salt exposure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like if the OP is careful about his car care he should be ok on the rust issue. Another friend in FL told me if he's in Bonita Springs he stands a chance of coming outside and finding a python wrapped around his car trying to crush it

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 07-01-2021, 02:39 PM

Haha! Haven’t seen any pythons in my garage yet but I will be sure to watch for them!

The Following User Says Thank You to cwassink88 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 03:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
It sounds like if the OP is careful about his car care he should be ok on the rust issue. Another friend in FL told me if he's in Bonita Springs he stands a chance of coming outside and finding a python wrapped around his car trying to crush it
Snakes, Ha ha. In the Naples Florida area east of the city, (15 miles) you are into real Everglades Swamp. We had canals and a lake on the Proving Ground Property and had 2 "Pet Alligators" that lived on the property (both about 12 foot long). Pythons aren't chit. They claimed a spot in the glades were vehicles were dumped that had small gators living inside the vehicles. Wonder if they got RUSTY? LOL.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 03:46 PM
Senior Chief

Snakes are good. They eat things you don't want around a car or in a structure.. Was one snaking in my front garage this morning. Probably 1/4" diameter.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you should be good. On the other hand my 77 trans am was sold new in Corpus Christi. How long it was there I do not know. I bought it from a guy in Umatilla, FLA. That guy bought the car from someone in Tampa. Essentially from what I gather it spent its first 35 years on the gulf. More rust than you could shake a stick at! Trunk was gone, floors gone, tail panel, quarters were rusted at the window line, lower front cowell, top of cowell, you name it the list goes on and on. If I had known how much rust there really was I probably would have passed on it. And people say FLA cars dont rust!

Old 07-01-2021, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
As a Tampa native I feel compelled to tell you that you dont live in Florida my friend. You live in southern Georgia .

Florida is a funny place. You have to go north to get to the south. Fun Fact, the capital of Florida is actually in East Alabama !
You're actually right about the south Georgia part. South Florida is a different state from the rest of Florida, and some say actually another country.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs