Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-29-2021, 11:00 AM

Default 1973 455 in a '67 GTO - Mount issues

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before, but my search failed to find an answer...

Long story short, I swapped a '73 455 into a '67 GTO. The mounts on the 455 appear to be the same as 400 mounts, as do the frame mounts. The motor sits crooked. With long tube headers, the pass. side exhaust pipe sits a good inch below the trans crossmember, the driver's side has zero gap.

I'm sure there's a solution, and I'll be doing an internet search, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I understand it, you want your motor and frame mounts to match the year of the car, not the engine. And since you are using a '73 455, which should have bosses for all possible mounting configurations, you should be able to fit it in the correct location using motor mounts and frame mounts that are intended to be used in a 1967 GTO.

Are you using the original 2-bolt style motor mounts that would have been used on a '67? And are your frame mounts '67 configuration, too?

Some extra info here: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/earl...ount-adapters/

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 06-29-2021, 01:00 PM

I have a 1973 455 in my 1967 GTO. The motor never was crooked but I didn't have much clearance between the headers and frame, so I had to add spacers between the frame and mounts on the frame like the ones Ames sells part # N245K. You might want to also look the the Torq lock mounts that Ames sells part number N242A.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:03 PM

The engine mounts bolt to the engine and to the frame mounts without interference, but that is not the issue. The driver's side mount that bolts to the frame is taller than the passenger side, and the engine tilts counter-clockwise when viewed from the front. You can't swap the frame mounts side to side because the mounting holes are spaced differently. I mean, they can be swapped but not without some machining. The '69 400 that is in my other '67 with the same mounts is level side to side. Are the mounts that bolt to the engine different heights and maybe I have them reversed? I'm pretty sure I checked that.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:04 PM

Thanks 462gto, I'll check those out.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:27 PM

Maybe there is a issue with your engine mount brackets causing the motor to sit crooked. Compare your engine mount brackets to the brackets that Ames sells N245B.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:22 PM
Senior Chief

are the frame mounts physically different? As it is possible to have them installed in the wrong holes on the crossmember? Not sure if your front crossmember has 20 holes in it like some later f-bodys did... need a map to recall WHICH holes are proper for which motors

Old 06-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have sent new headers back because they were wonky at the collector's wanting to rub on stuff that is where it should be.

Don't know if you have old or new headers

Your old and new engine should be the same within a few thousands

Old 06-29-2021, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 with the above!!
The first thing I do with new Headers is to bolt them up flange to flange to check for the sitting cocked to one side on the floor.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMeister View Post
The engine mounts bolt to the engine and to the frame mounts without interference, but that is not the issue. The driver's side mount that bolts to the frame is taller than the passenger side, and the engine tilts counter-clockwise when viewed from the front. You can't swap the frame mounts side to side because the mounting holes are spaced differently. I mean, they can be swapped but not without some machining. The '69 400 that is in my other '67 with the same mounts is level side to side. Are the mounts that bolt to the engine different heights and maybe I have them reversed? I'm pretty sure I checked that.
The A-Body mounts are designed by GM with the drivers side mount intentionally higher vs the passenger side. And they also have different bolt patterns in the frame areas. NO YOU CANNOT SWAP THEM.

If you use the correct two bolt engine mounts the engine will bolt up to the frame just fine.

You need to install the parts and drop the engine in place and it will be just like your other 1967 installation. The mounts are designed to even out the engine when all the parts are installed. You just are over-thinking the frame mount aspect.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should be able to place a straightedge across the top of the carb and it should be level. Are you sure the mount has dropped completely on to the frame bracket? There will be just enough room for the long bolt to slide through the bottom bracket and if the engine mount did hang up, then the bolt is going to be sitting on top.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Are the engine mounts new?
I’ve read about new mounts that can be problematic.. ...

The previous engine sat level with THESE mounts?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-30-2021, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
The previous engine sat level with THESE mounts?
Ah! The million dollar question!

Someone removed the mounts on a car I was recently working on. I put the original frame mounts on in the only set of holes and then put new block mounts on. Engine sat 1" too high on the driver's side and I couldn't fully engage the bolt to secure it down. I had to loosen the frame mount on the passenger side and do some minor rocking with the engine suspended from a cherry picker with the other mount bolt left in to get everything to line up better. Once it did everything fit nicely and I tightened the bolts back up. There was roughly 1/4" to 1/2" of movement in the wrong direction on 2 of the mounts that caused it to not line up.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:15 AM
Boost Engineer

Unless you were doing some detailing/replacement work on the frame mounts for the engine there should be no reason to ever remove them. Only the engine mounts .
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Unless you were doing some detailing/replacement work on the frame mounts for the engine there should be no reason to ever remove them.
Tell that to all the cars I've bought where previous owners removed it all and tossed them in the trunk ;-)

Old 06-30-2021, 11:54 AM
Boost Engineer

Unfortunately, You are much more correct on that actual situation vs my comment to "just leave them alone on the frame".

Tom V.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No small feat getting those stands off either! Just did on my '64. Those nuts are buried up in there pretty good. I measured the driver side at 1-3/4", and passenger side at 1-3/16", tall. You may not need this. But thought it might help someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounts 1.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	569030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounts 2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	569031  

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2021, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just noticed the stickers on my spare toolbox under the bench. Who can ID the stickers? One should be easy for an old Pontiac guy. Other one is pretty blurry.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Ah! The million dollar question!

Someone removed the mounts on a car I was recently working on. I put the original frame mounts on in the only set of holes and then put new block mounts on. Engine sat 1" too high on the driver's side and I couldn't fully engage the bolt to secure it down. I had to loosen the frame mount on the passenger side and do some minor rocking with the engine suspended from a cherry picker with the other mount bolt left in to get everything to line up better. Once it did everything fit nicely and I tightened the bolts back up. There was roughly 1/4" to 1/2" of movement in the wrong direction on 2 of the mounts that caused it to not line up.
I’m one of the goofballs that takes every nut and bolt off of everything!
That picture of the frame brackets surpassed used every!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-01-2021, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's more than likely that the header is angled upword.
I have run across that many times before and had to
Modify the header at the collecter.

GT