Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-30-2021, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well for 14 years you have had a small item of crap holding the bypass ball off its seat, that's my take on what you've had going on!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-30-2021, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove gauge
Place in trash can
Drive and enjoy car

Old 07-03-2021, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm late to the party. Were these electric gauges? Wondering whether alternator is over charging and supplying more voltage which would make all gauges read high.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
I'm late to the party. Were these electric gauges? Wondering whether alternator is over charging and supplying more voltage which would make all gauges read high.
nope. both mechanical with the line connected in place of where the factory tapped it off the oil filter housing.

well, general consensus here is that 40 psi at idle is standard and somehow I've had bad gauges or stuck valves for the past 14 years on it.

On the oil pump pressure....no idea. I can't find the receipts from when I built the motor back in 07. Pretty sure all the stuff came from Summit on that engine build, and knowing me, I'd have bought a higher pressure pump if it was available. considering it always runs at 60psi warmed up under higher rpms, that would indicate to me that I had a 60 psi pump in there, so I guess I'll roll with it and quit stressing.

I haven't dealt with the over heat issue yet. I don't trust the clutch fan now. I've got another one to try swapping it out with but it hasn't been 100 around here the past few days to do any apples to apples comparison whether the clutch change would make a difference since it always ran 195 before when weather wasn't 100 out.

Old 07-04-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
And this is why gauges are bad. If the engine is not "clattering" or "knocking," the oil pressure is fine. If the coolant isn't boiling over/out the radiator, engine temps are good.

Idiot lights do have a use and you don't constantly look over at them and get into a tizzy the minute there appears to be a fluctuation in the needle on the gauge, and then you stay awake at night worrying about your car. This is the cause of 90% of the ED amongst car & motorcycle enthusiasts - as our cars have become more important than a piece of...............
By the time the light comes on, your engine is already in the danger zone. I would rather pull over and shut down, so to a faulty gauge, than pull over and shut down due to a working idiot light.
A working idiot light warns you when it’s to late.
A working gauge warns you before it gets to that point.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree, most of those idiot lights like the oil pressure, won't trigger until 6-8 psi, some may trigger at 10 or maybe 15 tops. If the sender has been replaced there is no telling where the aftermarket stuff will trigger, and usually by the time they do the engine already has some serious issues and all the light is telling you at this point is that it's time to pull the engine out.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Agree, most of those idiot lights like the oil pressure, won't trigger until 6-8 psi, some may trigger at 10 or maybe 15 tops. If the sender has been replaced there is no telling where the aftermarket stuff will trigger, and usually by the time they do the engine already has some serious issues and all the light is telling you at this point is that it's time to pull the engine out.
Thanks FJ for for this informative post, which happens to agree with my thoughts on the matter. I suspect the pro-idiot light folks are just trying to prevent ED with erroneous info, I fear for their future

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 07-04-2021, 02:45 PM
Senior Chief

i WISH i had a high oil pressure issue......mine would peg 100 cold and idle at 10.....never did figure it out.....last it was running EXACTLY 5 yrs ago today!!!!!! approx 1730 pm....it had a hiccup.....this is what i found (took me 4 1/2 yrs to get to tear it down) THIS was NOT oil reltaed.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fbird View Post
i WISH i had a high oil pressure issue......mine would peg 100 cold and idle at 10.....never did figure it out.....last it was running EXACTLY 5 yrs ago today!!!!!! approx 1730 pm....it had a hiccup.....this is what i found (took me 4 1/2 yrs to get to tear it down) THIS was NOT oil reltaed.
Interesting. What did you find?

Old 07-04-2021, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The idiot light circuit simply supplies a different ground to the idiot light to check that the light is not burned out. The sender could be defective or the wire not connected to the sender and the light would still light. Ignorance is sometimes not bliss.

From the 1967 service manual:
"...When the ignition switch is turned to "start" position a test circuit is closed to indicate whether the red light is functioning properly...."

Most of the idiot light senders we've dropped in a pan of water on the stove close the circuit at about 245°. This gives you time to find the phone number for the tow truck while coasting to the side of the road.

My original temp gauge on the rally cluster reads very low and catches up about 185°, reads pretty accurate from there up to 200° and then starts reading higher from there on up. It still provides information to me that I can interpret. Back before I got the cooling totally sorted out it allowed me to use the AC in stop and go freeway traffic up to an indicated 210° which was really about 206° or so. I'd turn off the AC and watch the gauge fall. When temps came down I'd flip the AC back on and enjoy it for awhile. Pretty sure the inaccuracy is with the replacement sender but afraid another one might not be any better. With only an idiot light I wouldn't have chanced running the AC creeping along.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

trying to figure out posting a pic...

Old 07-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

https://nastyz28.com/media/ta-head-with-holes.8484/full

Old 07-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Senior Chief

hmmm...issues on my part..
short story...intake valve head popped off...busted piston, block, head.....total destruction at 1600 rpm...

NO that is NOT a high tech Pontiac 3 valve head.....that clump of ss in chamber #4 use to belong in chamber #2

Last edited by 67Fbird; 07-04-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Still wish I could find a simple set of blue tooth gauges to keep the interior stock. Just check the phone app now and then to ensure things are running right.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you not have factory gauges in the car? Thought you had a sniper?? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Factory gauges are pretty much what I rely on with all the cars. They've served me well for years. They don't even have to be totally accurate once you learn what the normal ranges are, then anything out of place gets your attention.

One vehicle with the Sniper I monitor vitals with the small touch screen that works well, and that can be put away in the console when you don't want to look at it.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fbird View Post
Yikes