Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-27-2021, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trunk lock

When I got my car I changed all the locks because the previous owner was in a word sketchy. All the locks worked fine but the trunk lock would only go in upside down (key facing up). Now that the body work on the trunk is done the body man said it will only go in sideways. He by his own admission is no mechanic but I obviously don’t want it sideways or upside down if there is any way it can be rectified. Before anyone says he messed it up he didn’t repair that area and I already had a problem. Can a locksmith reclock the face/lock. If I dig out an original not Chinese original can it be rekeyed? Anyone run into this?

Old 06-27-2021, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the metal in the deck lid has keyed slots that should allow the lock cylinder to only go in the one way. if it was damaged at any point in the past from someone trying to force the cylinder, the entire housing could rotate, however I can't see that it would still actuate the trunk release mechanism correctly.

if it actually is your lock cylinder itself and not just rotated in the deck lid, any good locksmith shop can duplicate a key from just a lock. I've had it done before. only problem is they have to cut the face off to pull it apart and the replacement one he put on looked a wee bit cheaper than the original.

keep in mind the trunk lock key is also the glove box or console key (at least it is in 67-72 cars, I never had a 64.

also, if you still have your original lock that you changed, you could also just have that cylinder changed out to a different key code at the locksmith as another option to get rid of whatever chinese cylinder you replaced it with.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The lock kit I bought is all one key for the whole car. When I installed it it would only properly actuate the latch “upside down” so now that he’s taken it out I guess whatever was wrong has no slipped to the side. I guess unless anyone else has some input I will just have to take it to a locksmith

Old 06-28-2021, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My decklid lock is also upside down, the only way it would work.

Doesn't bother me but thought it was strange.

No one has ever noticed or if they did, didn't mention it.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
The lock kit I bought is all one key for the whole car.
Sounds like you have the wrong lock for the trunk.
The trunk & glove box lock take the round headed (B series) key while the ignition & door keys are the hex headed key (A series) .

Old 06-28-2021, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALFWAY View Post
My decklid lock is also upside down, the only way it would work.

Doesn't bother me but thought it was strange.

No one has ever noticed or if they did, didn't mention it.
This I can live with but not sideways haha. I will tinker with it when I get it back and if I can’t get it then off to the locksmith

Old 06-28-2021, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v View Post
Sounds like you have the wrong lock for the trunk.
The trunk & glove box lock take the round headed (B series) key while the ignition & door keys are the hex headed key (A series) .
You are correct, but when replacing all of the lock cylinders, there is an option to purchase a new set that are all keyed alike. I was considering this, but decided to stay with the factory set up with the two different keys for the doors/ignition and glovebox/trunk.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't you swap lock cylinders with the lock you took out.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A factory assembly manual would be your friend here 64. A lot of these threads don't pertain to the street section either and more in the vehicle specific sections.

You might not get the views and fast resposes you like but really you should not expect special treatment that other forum members do not get. Search and PM are other tools as guys here are always a great help if asked and all else fails.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@blo View Post
A factory assembly manual would be your friend here 64. A lot of these threads don't pertain to the street section either and more in the vehicle specific sections.

You might not get the views and fast resposes you like but really you should not expect special treatment that other forum members do not get. Search and PM are other tools as guys here are always a great help if asked and all else fails.
Who’s asking for special treatment? This is a street car and trunk lock home figment i didn’t think was car specific. The quick responses I like????? How do you know what I like? If you don’t like a topic dont read it. No sense in being a keyboard warrior.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Who’s asking for special treatment? This is a street car and trunk lock home figment i didn’t think was car specific. The quick responses I like????? How do you know what I like? If you don’t like a topic dont read it. No sense in being a keyboard warrior.
Fair enough, thank you for setting me straight lol

Old 07-01-2021, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the lock fit upside down from fay one, you probably had the wrong lock and even more likely if they were reproduction locks. It would seem obvious if the lock fit (upside down) before the metal work and now will only fit sideways, something changed.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
If the lock fit upside down from fay one, you probably had the wrong lock and even more likely if they were reproduction locks. It would seem obvious if the lock fit (upside down) before the metal work and now will only fit sideways, something changed.
I’m gonna investigate it when it gets home but after talking to him and looking back at receipts they were cheap ebay locks bought when I had no plan for the car. Based on my recollection of quality and his lack of mechanical skill I’d say the POS broke in some way.