Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Starter motor now, won't engage the flywheel...

What a pita - swapping motors, have put a 474 in my 76 TA. Starter is a RobbMc unit, 1 year old. (Never a problem w/ it). Flywheel is a resurfaced Hays unit. RobbMc unit was w/ a different motor (HAD a stock flywheel), but same bellhousing/tranny. No shims before.

Started fine this am - ran okay - but way off of timing, I found that I was one cylinder off w/ the distributor (I think). Fixed that. Kinda bucked a little on attempted restart, then a constant whirrr. Took starter out, seemed fine. Whirrrr. Took to local auto store, checks out fine on their machine.

My 69 gto was the donor for the engine swap. I guess I'll put the IMI from it in the TA. wiring is different, kinda a pita having to cut, splice, given the different connections..

Ideas??

I'll say this, I like the adjustability of the RobbMc w/ this set up. The IMI +lead is close to the oil pan in the only real position that I can't get it to work. It is a Canton that is wider than stock.

Should I just stay w/ the RobbMc starter and just start throwing shims at it?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Should I just stay w/ the RobbMc starter and just start throwing shims at it?"

Yes, it sounds like there isn't room for the starter gear to slide into the teeth on the flywheel. You should be able to push the starter gear out into the flywheel and slip a paper-clip end between the starter teeth and the valley in the teeth of the flywheel. Block mounting surfaces do vary and thats why they give you an assortment with the starter.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Lust - I put the IMI in it. It starts fine. The IMI is adjustable, but only fits this combo in one of the adjustable positions - and that leaves the large (+) post about 1/2 inch from the pan. I painted some liquid rubber on it (from the boat supplies) and it makes me feel better. I'd like to go back to the RobbMc. I checked the pinion/gear depth in relation to the flywheel. It seems okay.

I'll try some shims after I get this 474 more "dialed" in and tuned. It is an unruly beast at this point until I get it carbed/tuned/timed right.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=GTOLou;3525245Started fine this am - ran okay - but way off of timing, I found that I was one cylinder off w/ the distributor (I think). Fixed that. Kinda bucked a little on attempted restart, then a constant whirrr. Took starter out, seemed fine. Whirrrr. Took to local auto store, checks out fine on their machine.[/QUOTE]

Kick back may have damaged the starter drive without hurting the starter motor.
I haven't seen a RobbMc took apart but guessing it's gear reduction. If so that may need looked at.

Starter motors running but the drive gear may be slipping.

I'ld check it out good, before a bunch of swapping or off and on.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Chief

Agreed. If the motor kicked back hard it probably broke the drive. You may be able to get just the drive from RobbMc. Im very familiar with this problem as it is very common on hopped up Harleys which use the same type starter.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks all....I called the folks at RobbMc - they have an upgrade to strengthen the drive (he agrees that it is prolly broken). They'll repair for free with the upgrade.

Great to work with (as usual)./