Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-12-2021, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Auto transmission

Hey all.
So need a auto transmission (I think, not sure if want to do manual swap).

But anyway. Thinking of the 2004R. What should I know in buy big box brand or having one built.

Car is 69 GTO. Car is near stock at this time, but will like to upgrade things in future. Will never be super radical motor.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stay away from Monster! Have a local shop build you one. That way if you need service, they will be right there.
What rear so you have??

Old 03-12-2021, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

im thinking same thing but extreme automatics

Old 03-12-2021, 07:43 PM
Suspended

What should you know????

A lot before you waste a lot of money on a 200.

DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THAT TRANNY FIRST

And don't just fall for the "I've got a 200" fans on forums.

Look into all the issues a 200 has and all the money its going to cost to combat those issues.

Then, put a 700R4, 4L60, 4L60e or a 4L80e in it and save a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct me if I’m wrong, all those tranny listed are costly to build, tunnel mods, change drive shaft length, and a monitor system to run them ...

I can’t go $4k into a trans

Old 03-12-2021, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rowing your own is hard to beat. Go manual.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh68gto View Post
That info is incorrect. Unless you're referring to the 200, then you're pretty close.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Suspended

Yes, do research.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, all those tranny listed are costly to build, tunnel mods, change drive shaft length, and a monitor system to run them ...

You'll have over $2500 in a professionally built 200 without a convertor, none of these OD transmissions is going to be cheap, like going to a wrecking yard and putting it in your car. A 4L80E, in good shape would be about 450 HP in stock form, probably the only choice that could come from a wrecking yard, and last for any length of time behind a stout Pontiac.

You're going to have to have a driveshaft made no matter what choice you make, 50 year old driveshafts don't have any business in a performance car, IMO, not good for much other than daily drivers with stock parts.

Actually a 4L80E is cheaper to build than a billet 200, no tunnel mods contrary to what has been regurgitated here many times, and yes they use a electronic control module:

https://www.becontrols.com/

The 4l60E does use an ECM, I have one in my 2005 GTO with 140,000 miles on it and still fine behind a 400 HP LS2. A 700 is a non ECM controlled transmission, has the same basic internals as a 4L60E.

The 4L80E, is essentially a T400 with a factory OD added, 70% the internal parts from a T400 interchange into a 4L80E. The T400 has a huge history since 1964 as the toughest automotive and light truck transmission GM has ever made. The 4L80E was introduced by GM in 1991 in chevy light duty trucks, used until 2013, lots of used cores available. In stock form is good for 440 ft lbs of torque and the same horsepower. Mildly modified (Trans Go shift kit) good until 750 HP/ft lbs.

Hot Rod magazine brief synopsis of the 4l80E: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/perf...-transmission/

Step by step install of a 4L80E full manually shifted transmission (no electronic control option) by member here Half inch stud into his 68 GTO:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=823023

There is a system that will convert a 4L80E to full manual operation, without electronics. It operates the same as a manual transmission, and each gear change is made by the operator moving the shifter.

I have two, one ton dually trucks with 4L80E transmissions, both are over 250,000 miles behind turbo diesel engines, both contractor trucks. They obviously have not had an easy life.

You can probably guess what my recommendation is. I have 2 Pontiac projects that will have 4l80E conversions in them. I'll let my choice stand on it's own merits. I won't resort to denigrating the other transmissions.

Educate yourself, read about all the good and bad of each, and be an informed consumer, then make your choice, I spent months comparing OD units, and all the other options before I made a decision on what option was best for myself, good luck with your research.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Oh, I forgot to mention...…

Pay no mind to the PM's you might get.

Those people are just trying to push you into making the same mistake they made to make them feel better. LOL!

Old 03-12-2021, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate the info guys. I have done reading and I will say it gets tough when it’s a subject you don’t know about. This one loves this , hates that and vise versa...

The ones that like the 200 say it’s has better gearing 1&2...

In the end just would like the OD without major mods to the car and tons of money put into the effort. Car will never see the strip or anything like that. Just a cruiser that can have some fun. I will keep reading into this.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Curious....why don't you want a TH400 if it's numbers matching?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-12-2021, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Car will never see the strip or anything like that. Just a cruiser that can have some fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Curious....why don't you want a TH400
^^^Winner.

The only reasons to install an overdrive automatic are 1) Long distance driving at highway speed, and 2) Bragging rights.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Less engine wear & tear with an O.D.

Remember when there was Bardahl Top Oil and their catch phrase was, "When your car reaches 60.... 60,000 miles that is".

That's because cars were past their prime at 60 and no one wanted them once it clicked 100.

You don't see people worrying about 100 or even 200 anymore and you have O.D. trannys to thank for that.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. Yes car will run the highways

2. Don’t need bragging rights, I don’t spend my hard earned money to please or keep up with others.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My DIY 4L80 was certaintly below $1000 installed. And I bought & rebuilt two to use 1. .spare is for Spare Engine.

CAUTION; DIY approach takes time, planning, and a wee bit ingenuity. Vacuum Modulator kit makes the 4L80 happen without a 'puter.

Manual shifted 4L80 about 70% the thrill of a clutched Muncie or ST-10. About 99% the thrill of a dearborn 3-speed. About 200% thrill to have OVERDRIVE with a 455.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just my opinion. As has been posted, a TH400 is a very strong transmission when built up. Having said that I'm willing to bet you could have one done for less that 1000 U.S. And you don't need all the upgrades. Just a stock build for what your doing will be plenty. The O.D. Tyrannies are great, but costly. Also, if you choose your tire size and rear gear properly, you can have a nice street and highway cruiser. You haven't told us anything about your engine, rear gear, tire size. A standard is alot of fun to drive also, but that get expensive also. If you upgrade your engine in the future the TH400 will handle the power no problem with a few upgrades. Easy to service and less costly to maintain.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You're going to have to research what's best for you and your combination.

My thought process is, if you have a classic car you like driving, and it needs a transmission, I'd be looking strictly at overdrive options. No way would I put a non overdrive trans in a car build these days. Since you're putting in the effort and money, may as well make the car more pleasurable to drive, less wear and tear, less noise, better mpg, the ability to put a little more rear gear in it for pep and still have the ability to cruise highway speeds and loaf along. An all around better car for a multitude of reasons.

Question will be which one is best suited for your needs and fits your budget.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 11:14 AM
Senior Chief

I put an Extreme Automatics Stage 2 2004R in my 462 (north of 550 hp tq engine dyno) about a year ago. No problems so far, and judging from the way it feels (subjective) I doubt I will have any concerns. I have pushed it as we all do (why build an engine and not push it), but I do not track it. Goal was an OD for the highway driving, to replace a tired TH400 I put in the mid-eighties, and a ready to go install. And reliability. I changed the spline and used the same driveshaft and cross member, and only had to use a different cross member bushing. I did tons of research and speaking to people that successfully used the 2004R. My only nervousness (and it was significant) was from the fact many people have not had good outcomes. So, the solution (for me) was a well built good reputation unit. Not cheap, but that is the buy off. And, the car shifts way better, is more reactive, revs lower on the highway and adds to my smile every time I drive it. To each their own.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Trans is need now for car to be able to move under its own power, and be the unit that lives there. Lot of the final specs of tires, rear and such are all subjects to change in the future. May seem backwards to some that get down to every detail.