Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM

..gotta let it break in good and baffle on the pan deal is a must. Might take a couple hundred miles to break in REALLY good....depending on ring material, bore prep and tolerances....

Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
Compression test dry/wet,then a leakdown test,SOP diagnostic testing in a situation like this,even on a fresh build.

Funny how some never seem to have these sorta problems,and other's always seem to have these kinda problems.

HTH

Bret P.
Yeah, that would be me--4 cars and all have problems like this. I went to a pro engine builder to avoid it this time. "yes" I do have an x pipe, the part number from butler is BFA-AVP1 which can be seen here. http://butlerperformance.com/product...valleyPans.htm. While they claim double baffle design, the builder says there really wasn't much of a baffle. And the only smoking problem I have is on De Cell--not Accel. I gotta think that the PCV valve issue is what's causing smoke, and the oil coming out the valve covers is a different, but possibly related problem. I just didn't want to have to purchase a new valley cover, but it looks like an Air/Oil separator is about the same price. Easier to put on, but then I'd have to empty it--fairly often by the looks of it

Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Senior Chief

Any chance the PCV valve is in backwards? This could make your crankcase pressure high, which would put pressure on all the places oil could go, resulting in the condition you describe. Sometimes I ask dumb questions...

If you have oil sucking into the combustion chamber, and coming out of the breathers/valve covers, then something is not right. Are you using a stock type PCV system i.e. passenger side breather vented to air cleaner base and pcv to manifold vacuum? Did you do a leak down test and see if the rings have excessive blow-by?

Without seeing the engine in operation, I'm not sure which of these is your problem, but do a leak down test first and eliminate one variable, then look at the others.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post

Everyone is trying to make out like he has a bad engine when I'm not hearing any symptoms of a bad engine. Bad rings would smoke under hard acceleration, not on de-accell.
Nobody would want to wish he has a bad engine! Nobody said anything about bad rings! Now if you read the name of the thread it says, " crankcase pressure up the yang yang!!!". Now what would cause that? And although I'd love to see the problem as simple as a PCV issue, I'm going by the initial info given. If you want to rule out the PCV just put a vacuum cap on PCV port and take it for a test drive, see if it still smokes on decel (throttle shut down).

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

According to the OP, the crankcase pressure came when he disconnected the PCV.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles