Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Build thread......target 2.2 hp w/ EHTTFMF

With all the tadoo in the last thread we decided to do a brief build thread witha few pics to highlight what it does and maybe does not require to make a bunch of power. The info provided will be general in nature and we of course will not entertain antagonistic questions nor intentionally distracting posts.

Some have implyed its all luck or whatever. The deal is theres some planning in execution, but as soon as we dyno/find it in the car we have an idea what the engine wants next. For the record we made 1205 @8500 rpm on the last go. We had an idea then what we needed to do to mke more. Rpm is a NA engines best friend when lookin for more. Our cuurent goal is 1240-50 hp. There is always the chance of goals not being met.....we are fairly confident we will meet them.

We will go through the components required/ sometimes not. More to follow as it will go together over the next few days and we will dyno shortly.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Carry on Mike.
Be following thread.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

EHTTFMF

Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Boost Engineer

1205 @8500 rpm is a nice number to start with, LOL! Good job, Mike and Team members.

Carry On!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for being willing to share data and ideas. Some will appreciate, some will not, open-minded folks will benefit.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 03-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Thanks for being willing to share data and ideas. Some will appreciate, some will not, open-minded folks will benefit.

Eric
We all already know who the guys are that will have nothing good to say. This thread is not for them.

Its to share a bit about what a guy is looking at if he wants to try and build something like this. We didn't intend on getting here in the beginning. It just sorta happened as we exploited obvious opportunities to improve what we currently had. we learned a few things along the way. Some of them the hard way.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Subscribed Thanks Mike

Old 03-25-2016, 11:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up for your willingness to share, and best of luck.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Suspended

Mike,

First congrats on great power achievement with your package, well done on cracking 1200 hp! And thanks for sharing any info you have sir.

Thanks,

Aaron

Old 03-26-2016, 12:43 AM

Mike, thanks greatly for starting this thread. This will help many people in the Pontiac Community/Hobby see the required 'Price of entry' to 1st just to get in the Ball Park, with the Parts and the Combination as a whole, then expanding on that foundation to then go to the next level 2.2hp per CI and beyond.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is really cool! Both that you already made over 1200 hp NA and the fact that you are willing to share some. Thanks and I look forward to hearing more.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:28 AM
Suspended

I'm in the building a new engine stage. I have a 469, 455 .60 over with the Ross/Butler pistons & Eagle H-beam rods. So far when they get the pistons the block will be matched to the pistons & decked so I have the pistons at 10ths in the hole. I have E-heads (round port) & there has nothing been done to them yet. The crank is a new Eagle cast 3.25 inch. I'm hoping now that with the info you will be posting I can make a little bit more HP then when I had the SRP .30 pistons in it with a Crane Blue Print RA IV cam. It made 523 HP at the crank with those pistons & cam with the Performance RPM intake & RA exhaust manifolds & a Pertronix ign. with a tricked Q-Jet. I hope watching this thread I'll get some great useful info to make even more.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I'm in the building a new engine stage. I have a 469, 455 .60 over with the Ross/Butler pistons & Eagle H-beam rods. So far when they get the pistons the block will be matched to the pistons & decked so I have the pistons at 10ths in the hole. I have E-heads (round port) & there has nothing been done to them yet. The crank is a new Eagle cast 3.25 inch. I'm hoping now that with the info you will be posting I can make a little bit more HP then when I had the SRP .30 pistons in it with a Crane Blue Print RA IV cam. It made 523 HP at the crank with those pistons & cam with the Performance RPM intake & RA exhaust manifolds & a Pertronix ign. with a tricked Q-Jet. I hope watching this thread I'll get some great useful info to make even more.
Thats a great combo and results so far. Great job!

Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tough to top the Cast crank pursuit like Vin63 did. huh

1200 HP NA will be an excellent pursuit. Can you cite the RPM for HP, and maximum RPM?

Old 03-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Tough to top the Cast crank pursuit like Vin63 did. huh

1200 HP NA will be an excellent pursuit. Can you cite the RPM for HP, and maximum RPM?
Not sure what your trying to compare a boosted aplication to a naturally aspirated one. When we dyno it will be the baddest naturally aspirated Pontiac engine out there. I know theres one coming that will make more. But we have a plan for that too. There will be another thread before the year is out

It made 1205 at 8500. And held on to power past peak we ran it to 8800 on dyno and it only lost a few.

To make our target we will need to increase torque slightly and make it at a slightly higher rpm. I expect to peak at 8600 for power And 7700 for torque. If we do that the 1250 should be no trouble. We NEED rpm. Especially With this little head. We anticipate a 9000 RPM shift point. The goal would be to keep this engine from dropping below 8000 RPM on shift recovery.

I know this makes most people turn inside out. But if you want to make big power you got to get over the RPM. It is an absolute must. Horsepower is calculated, torque times rpm divided by 5250. The farther away from 5250 you are with the same torque, the more horsepower you make.

Last edited by mike leech; 03-26-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
Horsepower is calculated, torque times rpm divided by 5250. The farther away from 5250 you are with the same torque, the more horsepower you make.
We have some "common core" math people here that might not get that Mike.

1205 is pretty dang stout and if your predicting more, it just shows what can be done with careful planning, trial, and reflecting on results good and bad. I look forward to the read and good luck with the next step in the game! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
With all the tadoo in the last thread we decided to do a brief build thread witha few pics to highlight what it does and maybe does not require to make a bunch of power. The info provided will be general in nature and we of course will not entertain antagonistic questions nor intentionally distracting posts.

Some have implyed its all luck or whatever. The deal is theres some planning in execution, but as soon as we dyno/find it in the car we have an idea what the engine wants next. For the record we made 1205 @8500 rpm on the last go. We had an idea then what we needed to do to mke more. Rpm is a NA engines best friend when lookin for more. Our cuurent goal is 1240-50 hp. There is always the chance of goals not being met.....we are fairly confident we will meet them.

We will go through the components required/ sometimes not. More to follow as it will go together over the next few days and we will dyno shortly.
Subscribing. I have a future build that will utilize an All Pontiac aftermarket block for my tube chassis car. I will be looking to make power that can stay together for at least a couple hundred passes without having to do scheduled maintenance, if possible? At some point reliability will override power output. My goal will be mid to low 5's half track. I want to be the fastest footbrake car when I roll through the gates. 800 HP should get me there because my chassis car will be light, in the 2200-2300 Lb. range.

I have a IA-IIA block, but I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for. It might end up in a street ride. I have a 4.5" forged scat crank from All Pontiac, but I'm not sure what I'll use it for. I don't even know what heads I'll be using. I am currently running a set of 340ish E heads on a stock block 468 making about 675 HP.

Your lessons learned and shared will help me make decisions on my build. It all trickles down to my level, which is bracket racing.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 03-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not sure what your trying to compare a boosted aplication to a naturally aspirated one. When we dyno it will be the baddest naturally aspirated Pontiac engine out there. I know theres one coming that will make more. But we have a plan for that too. There will be another thread before the year is out

It made 1205 at 8500. And held on to power past peak we ran it to 8800 on dyno and it only lost a few.

To make our target we will need to increase torque slightly and make it at a slightly higher rpm. I expect to peak at 8600 for power And 7700 for torque. If we do that the 1250 should be no trouble. We NEED rpm. Especially With this little head. We anticipate a 9000 RPM shift point. The goal would be to keep this engine from dropping below 8000 RPM on shift recovery.

I know this makes most people turn inside out. But if you want to make big power you got to get over the RPM. It is an absolute must. Horsepower is calculated, torque times rpm divided by 5250. The farther away from 5250 you are with the same torque, the more horsepower you make.
Hi Mike,
I know you have been waiting for me to post.

Very nice job. Great numbers.

Another advantage of moving the torque up in the RPM range is the ability to run more rear end gear which gives greater torque multiplication.

If you get your HP peak to 8600 and it holds on like you say, I think you will be leaving some et on the table if you only shift at 9000.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 03-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope it works out as your group plans it to.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Iva always heard that torque and horsepower cross at 5252rpm. How does that work, or does it, on an engine like this?

Baddass ride for sure Mike. Thanx for the 'behind the scenes' view.
Kevin