Old 07-07-2004, 11:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LisaJ

Does anyone know if the convertibles *only* came with front speakers?

A previous owner replaced my car's original AM-FM radio with a AM radio. I'm looking to replace it with a refurbished Delco AM-FM, but the seller says that the radio is front-speaker only. I'm not sure the convertible even has rear speakers...there obviously aren't any where rear speakers would be in a coupe.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:11 AM

Does anyone know if the convertibles *only* came with front speakers?

A previous owner replaced my car's original AM-FM radio with a AM radio. I'm looking to replace it with a refurbished Delco AM-FM, but the seller says that the radio is front-speaker only. I'm not sure the convertible even has rear speakers...there obviously aren't any where rear speakers would be in a coupe.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:01 PM

Well, I thought I had it in my assembly manual and Fisher body manual, but could not find it exactly. Several references to it, but... I found the wiring harness diagram for the rear speaker in “A” bodies. All I know for sure is what my 71 LeMans Convertible had. One speaker mounted behind the back cushion of the rear seat. The speaker had been replaced at sometime, but the housing/enclosure was still there. It did only have one rear speaker, now I have added two new ones, same location. Mounted on the back of the rear cushion metal support.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My build sheet for my 72 convertible lists a rear speaker as an option. So I know what satman is saying is correct. They were placed behind the rear seat. Unusual...you would have a hard time hearing it I would think with the convert boot covering it up. Mine is long gone though.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:51 AM

I took a look behind the back seat and all I could see was the canvas covering; I just realized I should have looked from the trunk instead. PB inspired me to look at the build sheet this morning and I see it reads "SPEAKER-R/ST"...does that mean rear stereo speaker?

Thanks to you both for the info!

Old 07-08-2004, 05:47 AM

Forgot to look at by build sheet last night, I’ll try to remember when I get home this afternoon.

As far as the audio quality, I don’t think the auto manufactures had superior sound quality in mind when they came up with any of their products.

I did not want to cut any holes into anything, so the two rear speakers behind the rear seat and two front speakers under the front seats are hidden and supply me with enough clean audio to get me down the road. A boom box it is Not!

Besides, most of the time I have my foot into the gas, and all I like to here is that 400 coming to life!!

Old 07-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear ya on that audio quality...lol. Lisa, The R/st is code 411 on your build sheet. 411 sales code number lists it as Rear Seat Speaker. That is what is stands for, not stereo. I mounted a stereo in the glove box and have front speakers that are mounted in the kick panels. It is those after market panels with the holes already there for speakers. I also built a box and put 6X9 speakers in them that is mounted on the drive shaft hump. It just looks like a continuation of the center console. I had it upholstered to match. So at a quick glance, everything looks stock. Plus, it would be very easy to replace kick panels, glove box liner and remove the speaker box for a bone stock car. I hate seeing butchered cars with aftermarket radio items installed. Pat

Old 07-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have been wanting to add one to my car. Can anyone post a phot of an original setup?

Old 07-08-2004, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I know what you guys mean about the sound quality in the older cars, especially sports cars - not really a priority for GM back then, lol. I enjoy listening to the engine roar through the dual glasspacks, but sometimes it's nice to listen to some music or catch a ball game.

It sounds like you made quite a nice setup for yourself, Pat. I want to keep everything original because I cringe when I see cut dashboards and panels, too. Your plan is something to keep in mind.

I guess I'll hold out and keep looking for an original radio with the fader then, since that's what it must have come with to make that rear speaker option useful. Not sure why someone put an AM radio in, unless they decided to use the AM/FM in a similar car that they drove more (?).

Thanks again, guys.

-Lisa

p.s. I don't have a digital camera right now, but when I get one I'll try to take a pic behind the seat, BN.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lisa,
my build sheet says it was ordered with an AM radio also. I don't think you need a fader, but it is nice replace the am with an am/fm. I think it was a blue wire that went to the second speaker if I'm not mistaken. If you would like to see pics of my setup, let me know. Later, Pat

Old 07-10-2004, 06:17 AM

Hi Pat - I'd love to see pics of your speaker setup if you have some handy.

Also, where did you find the full descriptions for the sales code...is there a book or something that details what all the codes include?

Old 07-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Lisa,

My '70 GTO conv. had two rear speakers behind the rear seat. As you mentioned, you can see the speaker holes from the trunk. My PHS document lists it as Option 411 Speaker R/ST.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a couple of pics of the stereo mounting. I cut a hole in the back of the insert big enough to fit the back of the stereo through. I had a face plate and mounted it to the top of the box. That way I can still fit items underneath the stereo. The other pic is harder to see, I may get a better pic for you, but look on the hump in the back seat that is where the 6X9's are mounted.

Old 07-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stereo mounted in glove box and yes a correct GTO dash bezel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo_mounted_in_glovebox_11.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	17203  

Old 07-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

6X9 Mounted in a box on the drive shaft hump. The front speakers on in the kick panels on the above pic. Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stereo_mounted_on_hump.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	10549  

Old 07-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a pic of my beast...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	good_pic1.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	12761  

Old 07-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PB. That is one nice ride great looking 72 vert.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, Thanks Cuz

Lisa, I forgot to answer your question on where I got that information on the sales codes. Somewhere over the years I got photo copies of an article somewhere. Has Eric White as the author. But it has all the info on 1972's from production #'s to listing of all the options and accessories. I can't remember where I got it, but maybe I can scan them in here for you or if you want a copy, email your address and I will send off copies of it for you. 72goatman@earthlink.net
Pat

Old 07-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a shot of the trunk of my 71, runs a pair of 10" Woofers and a SoundStream amp; can't hear a damn thing with the top down...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0009.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	15656  

Old 09-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Have been wanting to add one to my car. Can anyone post a phot of an original setup? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found one...it's of one in a convertible too...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear_seat_speaker_convertible.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	19479