Old 04-02-2002, 05:40 PM

Ok, so I am in the process of redoing my front suspension (70 GTO). The engine is out of the car and so is the whole front suspension. I took the control arms down to the local shop and had new bushings and ball-joints installed and I am at the point where I am about to reinstall the control arms and new coil springs. When I removed the springs, I rented an internal coil-spring compressor, took the load off the springs and cracked the ball-joints off and the springs fell right out.

When I picked my control arms up at the shop, my man kind of scared me when he offered to come over and help me put the new springs back in. I told him how I took them out and that I planned on doing the same deal in reverse. He stated that he normally used some type of crazy setup involving a lot of chains and a jack. Yikes.

Anyway, my question is this....What would be the preferred method of reinstalling these springs that will not leave me with a coil spring lodged in my forehead.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2002, 05:40 PM

Ok, so I am in the process of redoing my front suspension (70 GTO). The engine is out of the car and so is the whole front suspension. I took the control arms down to the local shop and had new bushings and ball-joints installed and I am at the point where I am about to reinstall the control arms and new coil springs. When I removed the springs, I rented an internal coil-spring compressor, took the load off the springs and cracked the ball-joints off and the springs fell right out.

When I picked my control arms up at the shop, my man kind of scared me when he offered to come over and help me put the new springs back in. I told him how I took them out and that I planned on doing the same deal in reverse. He stated that he normally used some type of crazy setup involving a lot of chains and a jack. Yikes.

Anyway, my question is this....What would be the preferred method of reinstalling these springs that will not leave me with a coil spring lodged in my forehead.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2002, 12:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You will be fine using the same method as you did for removal. The internal spring compressors are safe and will shorten the spring enough to allow reassembly. Just be sure to align the top of the spring in the cup and the lower in the notch in the control arm. There is usually a fair amount of massaging with prybars to complete the install. No worries....

1971 Trans Am 455HO M22; Cameo White / Blue
1971 GTO Convertible 455 M40; Starlight Black / Black