Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default TH400 with transbrake problem

Anybody ever have any issues with a Coan transbrake rolling forward when applied? It has been in the car for four years with no issues but last night in the third round once I pressed the transbrake button it rolled forward? I unloaded the car tonight and it does it every time now! Going to call my trans guy tomorrow just interested if somebody has seen the problem before.

Thanks Vince

Old 10-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had that problem with mine it was due to the ground connection for the TB solenoid deteriorating. I improved the grounding, and no more problems.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
When I had that problem with mine it was due to the ground connection for the TB solenoid deteriorating. I improved the grounding, and no more problems.
Thanks for the advice I will check that tomorrow!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There can be a couple of other things.

The band adjustment can be off a little bit.
The pump pressure can be too low.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Coan could definitely point you in the right direction.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 10-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post

ditto, move your ground wire to one of the bell housing to block bolts if you have it on any trans case bolts.

Last edited by WARPed; 10-18-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if memory serves there is no bad adj on a th400 -- is the valve body one that needs the t/b button pushed to engage reverse ???

Old 10-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
if memory serves there is no bad adj on a th400 -- is the valve body one that needs the t/b button pushed to engage reverse ???

No the button does not need to be engaged for reverse.

Changed the ground installed a new wire right to the back of the head where the main ground is connected no change.

I talked to Coan today they had a few suggestions but the main issue seems to be low line pressure. I measured it tonight at 170psi. Coan suggested raising the rpm before engaging the brake that did not help my situation pressure stayed at 170psi. They also asked what my staging routine was and suggest after going to neutral to clean out the engine to press the transbrake button a few times to ensure the pressure has built up after going into neutral and before I pre-stage also no help for me. Thinking the pump needs rebuild?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The pump is where I would start. I'm not familiar with Coan brakes but I'm assuming they supply you with a stiffer pump spring? Check that as well.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 10-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Possibly the reverse clutch pack is worn and has too much clearance.
I don't know about a th400 but when the pump is weak in a glide it rocks backwards.
Sounds like a pump pressure problem though. If there isn't enough pull out of the converter from the transmission when you bolt it to the flexplate it will eventually eat out the back half of the pump and cause a pressure drop.
I'm assuming it just rolls a little bit forward? Or is the transbrake just not holding at all?

Old 10-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

t400 reverse works when direct clutches are applied AND low/reverse band is applied. If a direct clutch problem 3rd gear could be at fault.

An issue with the reverse band,the pins that hold it or its servo perhaps?

Worn clutches/seals or cracks in drum(s) or case can bleed pressure as can servo issues.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probird View Post
I'm assuming it just rolls a little bit forward? Or is the transbrake just not holding at all?
Yes, it moves forward about an inch.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After 4 years of use it's probably time it was looked at anyway,just as a maintenance item. It's better to catch the fault before it does any real damage. Pull the oilpan to see how much clutch material etc is in the bottom,if it's clean,try a new solenoid first.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
After 4 years of use it's probably time it was looked at anyway,just as a maintenance item. It's better to catch the fault before it does any real damage. Pull the oilpan to see how much clutch material etc is in the bottom,if it's clean,try a new solenoid first.

That's what I did tonight except the new solenoid(took it apart and cleaned it). No change fluid looked good a little metal on the magnetic plug but figure after two seasons on the fluid I would think that is normal. I may just footbrake it the rest of the year it's only two more races what the heck!

Old 10-25-2016, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure the spool valve under the solenoid is moving freely - they can chew into the case over time.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The th400 is slower to engage the t/brake than a P/G -- if your routine is to get off the foot brake to fast then it may roll forward just a tad - I experienced this when going from my p/g supergas car to my th400 turbo car -- the fix was to wire the line lock to the delay box so the front brakes stay engaged when the t/b button is depressed, it releases apon release of the t/brake - that car went from rocking back and forth to dead solid

Old 10-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
The th400 is slower to engage the t/brake than a P/G -- if your routine is to get off the foot brake to fast then it may roll forward just a tad - I experienced this when going from my p/g supergas car to my th400 turbo car -- the fix was to wire the line lock to the delay box so the front brakes stay engaged when the t/b button is depressed, it releases apon release of the t/brake - that car went from rocking back and forth to dead solid
Sounds like a good idea but I have a question? You would not be able to use the line lock in the burn out box without engaging the trans brake if wired together. Did you add multiple switches or use a diode to isolate the line lock?

Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vince (take delay box out of picture)if you have 2 switches...

power in to line lock switch 1st...turn on line lock... power out of line lock wire also wired to transbrake power in side of transbrake switch...

the trans brake wont turn on until its switch is turned on.

When you turn off line lock switch you simultaneously drop power to both line lock and transbrake switch.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

when used thru a delay box-- mine is, Dedenbear - it is diode protected and only goes one way