Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-28-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
There another Firebird owner in your neck of the woods. I'm surprised you haven't run into each other.
What type of bird? I might have run into them at a car show?

Still looking for help here. I checked spark at the 1st plug looks good there.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pop the distributor cap and check to see if you have a bad rotor/cap..........It takes air,fuel and fire + compression to get a start.......Something aint there.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinch View Post
Went to the small starter connection where the purple connects on the mini
Starter connection just reseated it and it turns over. So back to my original issue it seems.

Spark at hei, multiple grounds, gas from carb is good. Next?
Gas is almost 6 months old.
Good news, did you double check rotor button to top dead center in relationship to cylinder#1 ? This can tell you if it's 180 degree off. You can be a tooth off and still rotate the distributor to get you close to run. Double check plug wires are in the correct place. These are just some more basic things to check. With the statement of it trying to run on starter fluid tells me you are close.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 PM

Ok distributor is slightly off number one
Pic attached. Not 180 but off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5762.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	443451  

Old 12-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ok distributor is slightly off number one
Pic attached. Not 180 but off.
It is pointing at #2..... Rotate to #1 and it may start.....

Old 12-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
Pop the distributor cap and check to see if you have a bad rotor/cap..........It takes air,fuel and fire @ the right time + compression to get a start.......Something aint there.
Fixed it for you!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITYFIREBIRD View Post
Fixed it for you!
Thanks for the help! I'll drink a Baker's Bourbon for you.....

Old 12-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The motor did fire up at the engine shop (CVMS) so i have not moved the dizzy just turned it some for timing purposes when trying to get it to fire.
Several years ago, I had a Cobra replica on my chassis dyno. The owner said it ran decently, but ran very hot. I checked the timing, and it appeared that his initial timing was over 40-degrees!

I asked him about the timing. He told me the distributor had not been touched since the engine builder (VERY reputable) had set it on their engine dyno. It was pulled off the dyno, crated, shipped to the owner, and directly installed.

Long story made short, I ended up pulling right at 30 degrees of timing out of the tune. SOMEWHERE between the builder's engine dyno and my chassis dyno, the distributor had been bumped hard enough to turn it 30 degrees.

ALWAYS double-check the timing after installing a new motor.

Overheating went away, and RWHP increased by 60, BTW.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust
Old 12-28-2016, 10:09 PM

Well after going over everything else went back down the list an noticed that there was no fuel or very little coming out of the front bowl. Seems like what was in there was drained. Float looked low also...check fuel directly from the main fuel line nothing came out when the engine cranked. Went down to the fuel pump and checked from there nothing coming out direct from the out outlet. Removed fuel pump then reset it back. Tried again nothing...well thats it for today. Never would have thought this would be an issue. Not sure why the pump is not pumping will try again tomorrow.

The pump was involved in the last motor explosion...but seemed fine. You know its just bizarre how something pop up when you think all good here.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to see your on to a problem.....and it's not electrical! That can of starting fuel was telling you something?

Thru many years of diagnosing, I firmly live by the rule of presume nothing.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Well after going over everything else went back down the list an noticed that there was no fuel or very little coming out of the front bowl. Seems like what was in there was drained. Float looked low also...check fuel directly from the main fuel line nothing came out when the engine cranked. Went down to the fuel pump and checked from there nothing coming out direct from the out outlet. Removed fuel pump then reset it back. Tried again nothing...well thats it for today. Never would have thought this would be an issue. Not sure why the pump is not pumping will try again tomorrow.

The pump was involved in the last motor explosion...but seemed fine. You know its just bizarre how something pop up when you think all good here.
Good to read you are close. A system can lose its prime after sitting some time. And getting fuel all the way from tank my take more cranking then you would want with a new engine on the startup. In most cases you can prime the fuel bowls and this will give you the run time needed to prime the fuel back into the lines. Simply take a small funnel and fill the bowls through the choke horn front and back until you see fuel in the sight window. Once this is done verified by pump the throttle a couple time te see fuel squirting. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure the fuel pump eccentric was installed to the camshaft. You can see if its in place looking thru the fuel pump hole in the timing cover. May need a mirror.
While the pump is off, carefully connect it to a fuel can and work the lever. You should be able to pump a good stream of gas.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you check the coil? Weak/shorted coil = weak spark. Assuming same carb as test run. Check plug gap if not checked. Check to see if distributor is loose and could have shifted.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Prime the motor fuel wise, it's easy!

Take a normal cap from a spray paint can and fill its smaller center round section up with gas, the open the Carbs choke and pour half the gas down into each primary side of the Carb.
If you have good enough spark and compression the motor will start and run for 3 to 4 seconds proving out a fuel supply issue!

Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you confirmed Marks question yet regarding accelerator pump shot?
How old is the gas?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:52 AM

The system is not getting gas... from the fuel pump. I am going to look at that again tonight and check the installation of the pump again. Gas is almost 6 months old.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in Manassas, can swing by this weekend if you want. PM me and will give you my phone number.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe there is no fuel pump eccentric on the cam?

Maybe someone assumed you were running an electric pump.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:28 PM

I called the shop this morning..with the exact same question, said it was installed. I am going to take it apart tonight and take a look then reset it again.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I called the shop this morning..with the exact same question, said it was installed. I am going to take it apart tonight and take a look then reset it again.
Pull the line off the carb, and put it in a can or jar, then crank it for a sec or two. That will tell you.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be