Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default wiper question on a '67

i remember like 15 years ago in order to get my wipers to work i had to remove one of the wires from my washer and hook t to my wipers to get them to work.
doing this tho,whenever i turned my wipers off they would stop right off and not park themselves.
i would have to turn them off at the lowest position every time.
this worked me as i rarely drove it in the rain anyways.
my question is ,,,while watching tv one night it hit me upon re-installing my dash after doing the interior that there was a ground wire that grounded the instrument panel to the dash itself.
since the wipers work useing a ground,,,could this be where my problem was at all this time?
if anyone has a wiring diagram id sure appreciate it also
please only the wiper circuit not a full engine diagram as im color blind and i find it hard to read colors as such
yeah,,,go ahead and make a funny
surely wont be one i havent heard already

Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wiring description and wiper function same as other post.

Park is an automatic function built in the wiper motor itself. When a wiper 'run' ground to dash is opened (or wipers cut off), contacts inside the wiper motor return the blades to the park position. So wiper park doesn't have anything to do with wiper switch or dash ground. For park the wiper motor grounds to the firewall usually with a brass strip that bolts down with one of the wiper motor mounting screws. When the blades get to park position, a cam and/or solenoid type mechanism in the wiper motor opens the park contacts cutting the wiper motor off.

That's not the best description on how it works but it should give you some idea what you're up against fixing it. Got to get your wires back right, then see what's going on with the wiper motor or look for a replacement. Could be wiper motor ground strap not making connection or something wrong inside of it.

A service manual might have an exploded view of the wiper motor internal parts.

That's the best I can do for now.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wytnyt,

Here are 4 pages from the 67 manual that should help you find your trouble.
If you need more help, give me a shot. Good grounds at wiper and switch are a must.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg 12-54.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	196148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg 12-55.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	196149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg 12-56.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	196150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg 12-57.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	196151  

Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thx guys
i bookmarked this page so when time and weather permits ill check it out
just something tells me it was the dash grounding strap all along.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:11 PM

Default Ground

I had the same issue with mine, worked but wouldn't park correctly. Fixing the ground fixed it. Pull the metal sleeve out of the lower right (looking at it) bushing, wire brush the crap out of it, gently clean the brass ring, put it back together and it should work.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually when the wipers run and will turn off when you turn the key off but don't automatically "park" themselves it is a poor or missing ground. It is often that brass riveted ground strap from the motor plate thru one of the rubber mounting bushings via a screw/bolt to the firewall.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM

Default New Wiper Question: Park Position

I just installed my second wiper motor in my '67 GTO. 1st was a new Cardone Select, 2nd was a rebuilt from Ames. The park position on both motors is wrong, about 20 degrees too high. The sweep during normal operation is fine - that is, at the bottom of travel, they're parallel to the windshield bottom. But when I turn them off, they park high. I have both speeds and washer operation. Ground is good. I got a second (used) crank arm, and it is exactly the same as the first arm. The original motor parked correctly until it crapped out during a road trip in the rain.

The common suggestion I've gotten is "pull the arms off when parked and move them to the correct position." Right. Do that and the wipers will sweep down onto the cowl during operation.

Two motors doing the exact same thing. Any ideas?

Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about the "key" of the arm when bolted to the motor? Or else one of the wiper crank pivots flipped around 180 degrees when you had things unbolted and put them back? Either that or the most likely issue is the new rebuilt motors are put back together to fit so many different years and models of GM cars that they are simply a generic replacement and not the exact one for your car.

I would investigate repairing your old motor since you know that one is phased properly or getting an older GM NOS motor exact to your car (going by the GM part #).

Old 11-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen this before but it's been so long it's hard to remember. I swapped wiper motors and transmissions on a first gen bird and the travel on them was too low running and parked too high. Seems like it ended up being the transmission arms 180 degrees off. That was 40 years ago so can't say for sure.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Not sure if this is pertinent to your 67. I recently replaced the wiper transmission in my sons Saab. The transmission had to be installed in the park position. First try was not successful. 2nd time all work perfectly.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought about this some more and it makes sense that if the transmission arms are turned the wrong way the wipers would park up instead of down.
The wiper motor would be pushing instead of pulling (or vice versa) when it goes to park.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:56 PM

Exactly, Quick-Silver. I appreciate everyone's replies, but the problem is not the orientation of the crank arm (they would park up) or ground (they wouldn't park at all). Two motors in a row did not park in the correct position, and both parked in the same wrong position. Ames offered a replacement, which I'm going to get, but I don't expect it to be any different. I cannot have my old one rebuilt because the core has already been sent back. After I try a new switch (the only variable left in the equation), I'm reasonably certain I'll be machining my own crank arm.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not talking about the crank arm, the two on the transmissions/wiper posts.

I'm pretty sure them being upside down is what caused my problem. It was someones old drag car that I was putting back on the street. So I didn't have a reference for putting it back together. Just a box full of parts.

If yours has been apart, I feel it would be worth double checking.

Also think you can rule the switch out because off is off, no path to ground through it. Park ground is built inside the motor.

Keep us updated and I'll keep thinking.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:59 PM

Yeah, I've never had that part of the system disassembled, so... That does sort of remind me though of when I bought the car, which was quite a derelict at the time... The shift levers on the transmission were installed upside down, resulting in the 4-speed shift pattern being upside down as well. It was very weird for a while...

Old 12-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Back stroking here

If it was the transmission arms out 180, the wipers would be trying to park at the top of travel instead of somewhere near bottom. So definitely forget all about that. 40 year old memories just not that accurate anymore.

For just getting by, might want to dis-able the built in park and just try to stop the wipers as low as you can with the switch.

I'ld hate to have to do it that way BUT if you don't have better luck finding a correct motor....

I'm still thinking

Old 12-23-2015, 09:31 PM

Default Close enough...

Third time's a charm, almost. The third wiper motor (fourth, if you count the original that quit on me) parks nearly correctly, not exactly horizontal, but close enough that I can live with it.