Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Help Identify

Does anyone recognize these? They came with a drag car purchase. The carb is an HP series Holley with no numbers on it what so ever. It's older stuff from around the late 90's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jets.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	466023   Click image for larger version

Name:	meteringblocks.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	466024  

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm pretty sure the red one is a HP Ultra block.
I'm not sure about the black one.

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 10-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After a more thorough inspection I did find where it had been stamped "QFT" on the baseplate which I'm pretty sure means it was done by Quickflow. It's an older unit that started as an 850 HP series likely back from the later 90's when the car was built. For whatever reason they machine all the numbers from the main body. Sucks trying to decipher parts like that.

Sandy, UT
Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, do you mean Quick Fuel Technology? I've been a dealer for QF since the beginning. I'm confident the silver block is not from QF, however the red one could be one of their's. The Carb Shop made a block similar to your silver one, but your's is slightly different than the blocks I've seen that came from the C.S.. It might be an earlier design.

The Carb Shop would notch the main body so the jets could be changed without removing the bowls... has your main body been notched?

Last edited by PAUL K; 10-24-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul-Yes Quick Fuel. I do not see any machining on the main body. The silver block's purpose seems to be the fast jet changing option. The red block holds a power valve and has a place to put jets. I'm guessing the silver block was an add on deal. Because I don't really care about the ability to change jest quickly, I'm going to remove the silver blocks and just use the red one.
To me, and I may be way out on this, but its seems like the fuel would have to do a lot of traveling before reaching the boosters with the fast change blocks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	850.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	466154  

Sandy, UT
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, the silver block is not a Carb Shop item. Their block replaced the original metering block but pulled the jets out the top. That's why you'd have notch the top of the main body so the jet tube could slide by the air cleaner base lip. I agree with your thoughts on not using the silver block. It reminds me of the first "quick change" jet kit I saw in the early 80's. It came with four 90° fittings that would point the jet straight up. You drilled two holes in the top of each float bowl and you could remove the jet through those holes using a special jet tool. They supplied you with plastic plugs for the drilled holes in the float bowls. They worked great until you went to the track with slicks and the fuel uncovered the rear jets. Lol

Btw...from the picture, those carb venturi's look smaller than a standard Holley 850. An 850 venturi is approximately 1-9/16, a 950 HP is 1-7/16. The throttle plate should be 1-3/4.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The venturi measures right at 1.500 at the top. The throttle plate is 1.75 with 1.80 blades.

Sandy, UT
Old 10-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Silver Carb Metering block was designed to use WEBER Race carb Emulsion Tube Hardware and High Speed Jets. Tuning could be done without taking the fuel bowl off just like a Weber IDA and DCOE 2-BBL carb have.

The red block is a race metering billet block. The other silver block is at least 20 years old.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Motor was built 1997 ish when it was put in bracket trim. Previously a Super Stocker. Certainly fits the timeline.

Sandy, UT