Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Chief

Mine was in the mail box when I got home. Nomadic Goat six pages great pics. Congrats Andre

Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine was also.
Nice writeup Andre, beautiful car.
Congatulations.
Carles

Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, read it last night. It was nice seeing the whole story here before in the pages. Great looking car.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Latest update- Ram Air pan foam has disintegrated badly, and needs to be replaced. Battery gave up the ghost after 4 years and 6 months and was replaced immediately. Manual steering box has developed a leak.
The driver side front fender liner worked its way loose from the wheel well molding, and I had to rr the molding and tuck it back into place.
Upgraded the original console to a new die cast piece.
Otherwise still fun to drive, and still shows well.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was able to pick up a Ram Air Pan foam from PY at the Turkey Rod Run on Friday. Spent about an hour removing old foam and adhesive from pan. Luckily I had powder coated the pan so there were no nicks when I was scraping adhesive off of it. I purchased a 10 foot roll of magnetic tape, and stuck pieces along the bottom of the foam and that is what is now holding the foam in place instead of glue.
I know this foam will disintegrate also, so at that time, it will be easy to remove and replace with a new one.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good idea. Where did you find that magnetic tape Andre?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to the local Ace hardware store. Very service oriented place. As soon as you walk in the door, the cashier alerts the workers that a customer has arrived and needs help. 10' roll was $5.97

I have also used this for holding the HURST emblem to my deck lid, and for other dealer emblems on my other cars. This avoids having to drill holes.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre, it was great to see you at the Turkey Run.

We did well at our swap spots. Sold quite a bit of parts. I also scored an NOS 4-seed shifter boot from a friend, as well as a working 67 GTO AM radio (chrome push buttons).

Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah-It was good to see you guys. My friend Tom picked up a tailpanel and tail lights for his '66 GTO clone. I think he should have purchased those grills that you guys had, and he would have been set.
Apart from the seal, I got a couple of repo remote mirrors for '64-68 from my friend Tom.
After we left you, I stumbled onto a set of '66-7 vinyl top molding that are straight, but cloudy. I didn't see too much else of interst to me.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't usually go thru long threads, but I went thru all of this one. Andre, great work on the car, man.

From the perspective of a DarkSider, it must be both a blessing and a curse to have suck a wide variety of repro parts available! Fore example, the DarkSider buys a complete, rust free Catalina from New Mexico, has it shipped up to the frozen tundra only to be cut to pieces to save his Grand Prix.

In any event, I am encouraged about the future of some of my clunkers after seeing the results you achieved...I also liked the images of kitty posing with your done GTO.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the kind words. I am still a closet darksider. I have owned a loaded but rusty '66 GP, a 66 Catalina, a one owner '66 Bonneville convertible, and a '66 Catalina SW.
The lack of repo parts for a fullsize car is a disadvantage, but I think the availability and cost of original fullsize parts is relatively low. Now fullsize interiors will eat you up, that is for sure.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre,

My friend still has both sets of OEM GTO grills 66 & 67. I beleive he is going to post them on this site as he has several 66/67 parts for sale. If your friend is still interested PM me. I know once he posts the stuff on here it will go quickly as his stuff is by among the nicest I've ever seen.

Did you buy the vinyl top trim? I also found a guy who had 3 of the 4 pieces. He was selling a 67 GTO shell. I picked through the massive pile of trim that he had for the car and found 3 of 4 pieces. They were bent, scratched and toast he sold them to me for $5, I gave him $15 as that was all I had because I felt they were worth more. As it turns out, I have spent the past two days, trying to straighten and polish etc. I had to remove the annodizing from them and then polish the alluminum. Not sure how that will hold up but we will see. I did also buy some pieces from a couple of the guys here so all in all I should end up with a decent set. I'll have more time and money into these ones than if I just bought a repop set but I have more time than money. LOL

Last edited by 67 LeMans 326; 11-30-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My friend Tom would have bought the grills on the spot, but his income is being spent elsewhere. He got a bachelors degree at the age of 48, and will have his masters by next year this time when he turns 50. All the while working a full time job, and having shared custody of his kids.
I did buy the vinyl top trim, and will have to spend some time with it and see what happens.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
My friend Tom would have bought the grills on the spot, but his income is being spent elsewhere. He got a bachelors degree at the age of 48, and will have his masters by next year this time when he turns 50. All the while working a full time job, and having shared custody of his kids.
I did buy the vinyl top trim, and will have to spend some time with it and see what happens.
Ah ok sounds good. Congrats to your friend!

The vinyl top pieces I bought looked REALLY rough, but after hours upon hours of working on them my friends can not beleive I saved them. Once I get the other pieces from the guys on here I should have one complete set. Then our painter frined is going to remove the front & rear glass for me. Then he is going to lead the window channels as the front & rear both have a small leak on the passenger's side. Then he is going to paint the rear filler panel from the glass to the trunk area.

Then we can install the parchment top and he will reset both glass and reinstall the trim. I can't wait to see it completed. Then if I can round up a posi carrier and install my 3.55 ring & pinion, then in goes the 461 and the car will be complete. Trying to hurry as my driving days are numbered litterally as my vision is not holding up.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre,

Just went through the entire thread. Looked at all the pics as reading is tough for me but I will have my son go back through and read the posts to me.

All I can say is what an awesome car! You have something to be very proud of that's for sure! Will you be coming up for the Wide Track Warrior show in Feb? If so, I look forward to seeing the car in person!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be more than happy to drive you around. Sorry to hear about your vision. I guess you have done all you can to slow it down? That just does not sound good at all.

After dragging my car around for 25 years, it had to be done. I have not gotten a flyer for the show, so I don't know the date, but I will most likely be attending.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I really wish I had found this site before I did my undercarriage. Looking at your pics I can see all the areas where the judges subtracted points from my car the other day. I may be sending you emails asking about the finishes you used in a few places.

Looking at these pics are enough to make me want to go out to the garage and start "phase two" on my car!

Great job,
Harry

Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I'll be more than happy to drive you around. Sorry to hear about your vision. I guess you have done all you can to slow it down? That just does not sound good at all.

After dragging my car around for 25 years, it had to be done. I have not gotten a flyer for the show, so I don't know the date, but I will most likely be attending.
It's been a long past two years. In Aug 08 I began having trouble with my only good eye as I was born blind in one eye. To make a very long story short, my "good" eye has now lost the ability to focus and has also lost it's peripheral vision. I am down to an 18-20* vision field in my good eye. As they found out my optic nerves were less than 50% developed at birth. Bottom line by all accounts, I should never have had vision in either eye and there is no explanation as to why I did for my first 40 years. I am no fool and do know why, it was a gift from God and therefore I am thankful

Now, back to cars. The Wide Track Warrior show is at a new location this year. Rt. 46 entertainment complex on Feb. 19th 8am - 3pm. Here is a pic I took at Rt. 46 Entertainment complex earlier this year.

I hope you can make it. So far it looks as though all 12 of our little tribe will be there. The only one missing will be the 62 Catalina as it is being stripped this week for a frame off.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I really wish I had found this site before I did my undercarriage. Looking at your pics I can see all the areas where the judges subtracted points from my car the other day. I may be sending you emails asking about the finishes you used in a few places.

Looking at these pics are enough to make me want to go out to the garage and start "phase two" on my car!

Great job,
Harry
Theres a phase two? I thought phase one was a job well done.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would probably get a bunch of points deducted because instead of painting, I powdercoated in varying degrees of gloss to match the factory finish. The rear end an is the only piece that was painted. My plan was to drive the car so I figured this would minimize the chips etc.