Old 09-21-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Core Support Mounting Holes

I have just finished repairing my core support which on my 71 GTO involved replaceing the sheet metal where both mounting holes were. I know the distance between the 1" holes form the frame position. My question is, are they centered in the center of the channelof the core support, or moved some distance forward or back of the center of the channel.

Thanks,

Randy

Old 09-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you talking about the body mount holes? I looked at my '70 and they are centered.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On my 71 they look centered. Did you replace the whole lower channel or just weld in patches?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:23 PM

Thanks guys,

After looking closley, I assumed they were centered and cut them that way and every thing seems to fit.

Rusted, I patched the passengers side which had the holes rusted out to about the size of the bushings by cutting out the top brace about 2 1/2 X 3 inches and welding a piece of 16 guage in place. Turned it over and cut out the piece in the channel longer in order to not match up the welds.

The drivers side was completely gone from the bushing hole over to the end of the core. I made about four different pieces to reconstruct it. i was surprised that it turned out as well as it did, and the inner fender lined up.

All this took me longer than I expected as it was my first welding job

Old 10-21-2005, 10:33 PM

Rusted,

Here are some pic of the repair.

Before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	core_02.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	30563  

Old 10-21-2005, 10:34 PM

Patches
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	core_03.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	30564  

Old 10-21-2005, 10:36 PM

Still needs some finishing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	core_01.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	30566  

Old 11-01-2005, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideone
I have just finished repairing my core support which on my 71 GTO involved replaceing the sheet metal where both mounting holes were. I know the distance between the 1" holes form the frame position. My question is, are they centered in the center of the channelof the core support, or moved some distance forward or back of the center of the channel.

Thanks,

Randy
This may be too little too late, but here goes:

I've got some pix of my '70 core support repairs (no comments about the crappy welds, it's my first welding job too):

http://www.curryosity.com/family/all...restification/

Also, I have some '70 assembly manual scans here:

http://www.curryosity.com/family/all.../front-end.asp

Mine was nowhere near as bad as your, though - minor battery acid rot by comparison. I'm impressed by your efforts...

Bought: 1970 Le Mans Sport Convertible (second owner,) Palladium silver, 350/2bbl (sigh) with Comp Cams 268H grind (installed by previous owner), TH350 Trans. Mods: Front suspension: Global West negative roll tubular upper arms, Del-a-lum bushings, Koni shocks, 12" disc brake conversion, 1.1" front sway bar, Rear suspension: Global West tubular control arms, springs, sway bar. Exhaust: Flowmaster 2.5" American Thunder system. Mostly complete: Firewall-forward engine compartment restoration

Last edited by DIYGuy; 11-01-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:38 PM

Diy,
Nice ride. My 71 is a convert too. Good job on the repair.

I am satisfied with how it ended up for a first shot.

Saw the other day where some one makes "repairr" kits for Buick core supports. Pretty neat deal. Why not for Pontiacs? We know there is a market for them.

Randy