Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pypes SPG10 1965 Bonneville Grand Prix Catalina

Hi,
i have some trouble with my DGA10 downpipes.. please take a look @ the pics.. RH side is perfect.. no problem..but the LH driver side makes trouble with the pitman arm if i turn the steering wheel at RH side .. Have i i exchange LH and RH?? DGA 10 1 is on RH side... have somone pics of this downpipes under his car for me how it should looking??
Thanks, Bjoern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060015.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	170763   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060016.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	170764   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060018.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	170765   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060019.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	170766  

Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same trouble with my '69 Bonnie. I don't remember what part number I have, but for a while Pypes had a different pipe for the big cars and maybe Firebird? Anyhow it has a different shape to the bend but still I had contact with the pitman arm on tight turns. I recently installed a mini starter on the car which gave me more room to move the head pipe in a little tighter to the motor. It made big improvement but there is still some contact when the wheel is cut all of the way.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 PM

IIRC, [I've not been under mine lately] The OE pipe was flattened in the area that's giving you problems. It extended back past the starter also.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Administrator

DGA10 is not correct for a 65 Big Pontiac. It looks like you are using the standard log manifolds. The big Pontiac appears to have the starter on the LH side. Pypes has not designed a Big Pontiac LH manifold. The 1st gen Firebird LH downpipes DGF13S may fit better but still will require modification for a good fit.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default PYPES 1965 Pontiac B Body Downpipes SGP10 System

Yes, correct, i use the stock manifolds. Pypes list the DAG10 for 65-70- B Body Pontiacs...
The Rh side looks nice and fits well..the Lh side makes trouble with the frame (I hot bended the downpipe and now it s okay) the pitman arm will be touch if you turn the steering wheel extrem to Rh side (have to fix that problem.. and the shift lever into the TH 400 will be get in touch.
Perhpas i try the Firebird Lh downpipe ....
Is there anyone who has pics of his pypes under a 65 66 Big Car ? Catalina Grand Prix or Bonneville with stock Manifolds?

Thanks, Bjoern