Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM

Default headers next to brake lines

I guess this is a header / brake line / cooling question......... i have installed doug headers , on the left frame rail i have the brass brake line distibution block . this block is very close to the header and looks like i might have a heat problem with the brake line fluid . i am using dot 5 fluid , what do most people do ? or i should ask what is the best thing to do ? or maybe i do not have a problem at all ... please help
thanks Jim

Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I went through the same thing, and on mine it actually made contact with the combo valve. I ended up buying all new brake lines and relocating the combo valve to a bracket below the booster. Kind of a bummer to have to do that to use a set of headers, but, I figured down the road it's probably better off I moved it. I also had some clearance issues with the rear frame bracket for the lower a arm as well, and had to dent the header some, which wasn't fun. The safety tab on the driver engine mount had to be removed as well...

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM

yeah i hear ya on the motor mount , i have alraedy crossed that bridge , i am lucky though , i do not have a body on the frame , just the drive train .
i did a search on the brake line issue and found several other guys with the same issues.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM

I moved my distribution block up and back 2". I put protective sleeves on two of the individual lines and put a protective heat deflector on the part of the header that was close to the distribution block.