Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 AM

Default Summit Headers

HAs anyone ever used these? At 95 bucks can you really go wrong?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Chief

I'm a little skeptical that these are going to be a header you'll be happy with.
I bought the Hedman 1-3/4 headers for my 74 last year, paid twice as much as the Summit brand headers and while they fit the car fine, the flanges that bolt to the heads needed some massaging. (Some of the welds looked like crap).
I had to get the copper header gaskets to finally get them to seal.

If you've never put headers on a 2nd Gen F-Body, believe me, you don't want to have to keep taking them off and on to get them to seal.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The key to getting headers like those with only a 5/16" flange to seal well is to (1) make sure all the bolts go in like butter by hand, re-taping any holes that may need it to make that happen.
(2) get each header hanging by all the bolts.
(3) tighten them up starting with either center port bolt and then work your way out to each end, sugging them all at first and then go for the final crank down.
Use antiseeze on all the bolts.
Also it would be a good thing to add a pipe hanger at each floorboard location where the pipe meets the reducers, as the weight of the exh system hanging off each header with just a 5/16" flange will strain the flange to port seal and you will be changing out gaskets every 2 months without the hangers!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an "A" body and run a set of those on my 350 for years and have no troubles at all.I even cut out the flange portion between the ports. That might help them seal better. Last set of gaskets I put on were Mr. Gaskets brand and only reason they were replaced was due to changing heads and engines. Haven't had any fail. I do have the 2 extra holes on the outer ports for mtg.
I was concerned about fit as originaly I had them with column shifted auto then changed over to 4 speed manual, but never had any linkage fitment problems with either one. You can even remove starter with them on and oil fiter. Of course this is with stock oil pan and filter mtg.
About the only bad thing I can say is thier paint job doesnt hold up well as mine are rusted after 4-5 yrs. But some strip thier paint off with sandblasting and repaint with Por15 exhaust or Eastwood paint and say it holds up better.
To me there are a great deal! I would hesitate to buy another pair.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have those on mine, and while they fit ok, they hang way low. Im dragging mine all the time. I am only running a set of 205/70/14 tires though so the whole car is pretty low.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one side hangs a little low but the ones I installed 10 years ago on my 63 are still good never a leak problem. any header will warp the flange if you overtighten. They are only 1 5/8" primaries but that should be good for 450hp at least. A really big motor will need much larger headers.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Believe it or not,i have a friend that used them on a 66 gto,they actually fit.
I am looking for headers as well,and noticed the hedmans for $185 are the same 18 gauge steel as the $95 summits, however,the hookers for $199 are made from 16 ga steel. So the summits and hedmans are made from a thinner gauge steel.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Will this fit my 1970 lemans with a 350 and power brakes, a/c and power steering. I heard that they would possible have some issues fitting properly or possible rubbing. Thanks for any input/

Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM

Default Summit Pontiac Headers

john31s,
I installed a set on my 1970 Pontiac LeMans. It has the original 350 that has been upgraded with Summit 2800 cam/lifters, 1969 factory 4bbl intake with quadrajet, and 1968 big valve 16 heads. Ditto what BVR421 said. Oddly, the one side hangs lower than the other. I would recommend a mini starter, this will simplify installation immensely. I have had no leaks, and not had to replace the gaskets, just retighten the bolts once. Also highly recommended is stripping these headers and painting them with some sort of high quality heat paint. A little trick I learned while working for a Harley Davidson dealer years ago was to spray the inside of the pipes as well as the outside and then pre cure them with a propane torch by heating them several times before install. This may prevent the exterior paint from burning off as quickly or at all. Definitely replace your motor mounts while doing this install if they are not new. You will have to jack the motor up to put the headers in place anyway if you are not starting with an empty engine compartment. For the money, Summit's headers are hard to beat if you are doing a budget hop up. Good luck.
Shiftydr

Old 06-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just installed a set on a newly built engine. I don't know how they'll seal as I haven't run them yet...and yes, they had surface rust in a few spots just from sitting in my garage for a few years. I started trying to clean them up but gave up and just painted with hi temp. I'll just run them until they're shot and put the RA manifolds on (which I already have).
Main point I want though is what I found that helped me install them easily. I spent about an hour wresting with them just trying to get the bolts started...until I stopped to think about why they wouldn't go.
That one slotted hole behind the third runner must allow the header to slide back far enough for the other holes to line up.
I solved the problem when I elongated that slotted hole about 1/16"...also very slightly cleaned/opened up the other holes just for good measure and once I hung the header from that one slotted bolt hole, every other bolt turned in by hand.
That's my advice...

Old 06-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0300youmadeit View Post
HAs anyone ever used these? At 95 bucks can you really go wrong?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Yes, you can....

Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a set for my 65 GTO.They LOOKED like they would fit but i just couldn't get them on.I sent them back,ordered Hooker comps for a few dollars more and they just about put themself on.Really the Hookers are really easy to get on and not much more price-wise.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM

Had a set on my 72 Lemans for a while. They really were a quality set of headers for the money. I thermal wrapped them and they worked out just fine. Only issue with them was that the one (think it was passenger side) header sat a little lower that the other (just like hooker headers do) and had a little bit of a undercarrage clearance issue, but for the money they sure worked! Just my 2 cents