Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-23-2003, 01:25 PM

I just got my complete system with 18" Goerlich race mufflers. I am installing on to a 67 GTO. Wondering if anyone else is have as much trouble as I am?

First, the supplied clamps are 1/4 inch wider than the muffler hangers so the hangers need to be expanded by increasing the hole with a drill.

I bought the down turns for the tail pipe but the tail pipe is too long so it needs to be cut by about 6 - 8 Inches so the downturn comes out in the right spot.

My kit was purchased for headers but the X pipe and extentions are 5 inches narrower than my headers so I am having some custom pipes made. I have hooker super comps and a plain old 400 engine

The mufflers just about hit the floor pan so I'm not sure if the hangers are long enough, the entry point to the mufflers from the engine side are just behind and above the rear seat floor pan where you would put your feet, so I need to figure that out....

The rear pipe hangers have a single rivit into the rubber so the metal bracket that you clamp onto the pipe can slide down.....

So far it's not a snap to install and it doesn't fit right but I want to keep trying...does anyone else have any enswers that can help....

Thanks

Brad

Old 05-23-2003, 01:25 PM

I just got my complete system with 18" Goerlich race mufflers. I am installing on to a 67 GTO. Wondering if anyone else is have as much trouble as I am?

First, the supplied clamps are 1/4 inch wider than the muffler hangers so the hangers need to be expanded by increasing the hole with a drill.

I bought the down turns for the tail pipe but the tail pipe is too long so it needs to be cut by about 6 - 8 Inches so the downturn comes out in the right spot.

My kit was purchased for headers but the X pipe and extentions are 5 inches narrower than my headers so I am having some custom pipes made. I have hooker super comps and a plain old 400 engine

The mufflers just about hit the floor pan so I'm not sure if the hangers are long enough, the entry point to the mufflers from the engine side are just behind and above the rear seat floor pan where you would put your feet, so I need to figure that out....

The rear pipe hangers have a single rivit into the rubber so the metal bracket that you clamp onto the pipe can slide down.....

So far it's not a snap to install and it doesn't fit right but I want to keep trying...does anyone else have any enswers that can help....

Thanks

Brad

Old 05-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad,
I bought my 2.5" kit w/X-pipe and 20" Dynomax 17749's from PY to install w/my RA manifolds on my '66.
The truth is - all these things are made on a jig so there will be slight variations from stock. Plus, there are so many variations that unless you go with someone like Gardner Exhaust - you'll have to do some cutting and fitting. I took mine to an exhaust shop and gave him $80 to install it. Took him about an hour, saved myself about 2-3 days work, and it looks like it should.
Tim

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/TimSimpson66GTO.html

Old 05-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing that I have learned about working on cars, hanging exhaust is an art form. Leave it to the pros.

Foolproof and Sucka free since 1979.

Old 05-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All ya' need is a torch, BFH, welder, an extremely disgusting vocabulary, & beer.
Maybe a bandaid or two.
Did I mention the beer?

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
I Misus Rash'!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hahahahahahhahahhahahaa. and make sure there are no kids around. Don't want them picking up that sailor talk...

Old 05-23-2003, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I paid a pro on mine also. Had him weld all the joints. $100.00 well spent.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Here are some instruction sheets that may help. The only possible fit issue is the front of the X may need an extra piece of straight pipe to complete the installation.

http://performanceyears.com/exhaust/

Click on 'INSTALLATION'

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 05-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Installation is complete.....holly smokes what a job, here goes for those of you doing the same thing and are not drinking beer and who are serious about doing stuff right.... here is what needs to be done to get this system to fit as ordered w/18" Goerlich mufflers and headers.

1) Drill out exhaust hangers 1/4 inch on each side so the clamps will work.

2) Drill the rear hangers with another hole next to the rivit and install a stainless bolt/nut...it won't shift then

3) Cut rear tail pipe 4 inches and install downturns when ready

4) The mufflers will not be flat, rather they need to be angled down inbound about 3.5 inches. The rest of the system forward will now go under the floor pan with 1 inch between the pipe and the floor pan.

5) The X pipe provides only 19 1/4 inches width after the extensions are installed. You will need custom pipe made for each side to connect to the headers...it is NOT straight. Rather the width needs to be 24 1/4, a full 5 inches total additional required. Each side needs to move out 2.5 inches. I spent 2 hours at Merlins until we got it right...cost was $60.00. The pipe needs to be 12 inches in length and needs to be bent to provide the extra width.

6) Cut the passenger collector 1 inch and the passenger x pipe extension included with the kit 1 inch.

7) Install the collectors last and slide up to the headers. I'll send pictures as soon as I make them....

Holly cow!!! BUT it looks REAL cool!!! Can't wait to see what 503 hp sounds like thru them...

Brad

Hot Rod Cover Car -April '07
PHR Magazine Sept.'08
1244HP Pump Gas Dyno @ 11psi (32PSI MAX)
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...ipumpgas-2.flv
Old 05-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Brad thanks for the feedback.

We will now include modified muffler hangers in all future systems.

Also, we are changing the front portion of the X for cars with headers to eliminate the need for the extra pipe you needed to make.

The tilted muffler and tailpipe hanger are a unique situation in your case. We have installed several systems locally without these issues.

All other points are accurate as explained.

Old 05-26-2003, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds great!! I wasn't fun but I'm sure it will be worth trouble. I don't see anyway around the tilted muffler situation in my case....thanks and I hope I was able to help out a little with these great systems....

Hot Rod Cover Car -April '07
PHR Magazine Sept.'08
1244HP Pump Gas Dyno @ 11psi (32PSI MAX)
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...ipumpgas-2.flv
Old 05-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ccass:

Also, we are changing the front portion of the X for cars with headers to eliminate the need for the extra pipe you needed to make.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just ordered the 3" X-pipe w/ header system for my car around a week and a half ago. I noticed it's currently on B/O. Will my system have the changes you mentioned? In case it helps, the name on the order is Todd Emanuel. Thanks!

'72 LeMans 2Dr Hardtop
My first car, owned since 1980. Let the enhancements begin.
'96 Corvette Grand Sport (#470 out of 1000 produced)
LT4 w/ couple of breathing mods, 6spd

'96 Corvette Grand Sport (#470 of 1000 built)
Mildly modded LT4, 6spd
'07 Corvette Z06
Mildly modded LS7, 6spd
'67 Chevelle Convertible
LS6 (405HP Z06), 700R4
Old 05-28-2003, 08:41 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GS470:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ccass:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just ordered the 3" X-pipe w/ header system for my car around a week and a half ago. I noticed it's currently on B/O. Will my system have the changes you mentioned? In case it helps, the name on the order is Todd Emanuel. Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, The 3" X will be a little wider in the front to eliminate the need for an extra added section of pipe. Muffler hangers have always been the universal type on 3". A stock muffler hanger is not feasible for a 3" system.

Old 05-29-2003, 05:17 AM
Senior Chief

Yes, The 3" X will be a little wider in the front to eliminate the need for an extra added section of pipe. Muffler hangers have always been the universal type on 3". A stock muffler hanger is not feasible for a 3" system.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Chris. Do you know when my system will be shipping?

'72 LeMans 2Dr Hardtop
My first car, owned since 1980. Let the enhancements begin.
'96 Corvette Grand Sport (#470 out of 1000 produced)
LT4 w/ couple of breathing mods, 6spd

'96 Corvette Grand Sport (#470 of 1000 built)
Mildly modded LT4, 6spd
'07 Corvette Z06
Mildly modded LS7, 6spd
'67 Chevelle Convertible
LS6 (405HP Z06), 700R4
Old 05-29-2003, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Still don't have an exact day but 1/2 of our order will be shipping early next week and 1/2 will be shipping the following week.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about my tailpipes?