Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Suspended

And a good tuner that is willing to share. What the valve sizes on the Warp6 head George?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
I would be willing to bet if we didnt have siamese exhaust ports that we wouldnt have nearly as many head gasket problems. Everyone I have talked to that has had issues always seem to have issue between numbers 4 and 6 and 3 and 5 cylinders. Those siamese exhaust ports create a LOT of heat there. Look at what the SBC guys are doing to keep that area cool. They are pumping in more water there and they are also removing more water there to keep that area as cool as they can.
There are 2 Pontiac guys that I know of are doing the same thing on Tigers. Most likely some H.P.'s too.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Default Heads

Scott Quote: "What the valve sizes on the Warp6 head George?

I have no idea.

GTO George

Old 01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Off the subject, well not really... Has anyone ever cut a tiger, e, kre or cast iron in half???

Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the difference between a Pro Stock Chassis and a Pro Mod Chassis ?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupergasDil View Post
What is the difference between a Pro Stock Chassis and a Pro Mod Chassis ?
Bars. One example is the double frame rail, they stop on a pro stock car around the rear of the driver's seat. On a pro-mod they extend all the way to the firewall area.

The new first gen bodies will take the same tire as a fuel car, pro stockers normally will not fit this tire. I believe in NHRA/IHRA a nostalgia body is mandatory in pro-mod now as well.

There are builders offering Titanium options for ADRL pro mods. Basically any bar that isn't necessary for the sfi spec is being replaced with lighter titanium bars. ADRL had no weights minimums up to last year. That may have changed, I do not keep up with their rules.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Langer View Post
Off the subject, well not really... Has anyone ever cut a tiger, e, kre or cast iron in half???
We sliced up one of our old E-heads. I'll take some pictures and post them

Eric

Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Now that we've explained how the Ford gets away with 4 per cyl, and ignored the fact that the 97 and up LSx GM motors do have problems, can we look at that?

They don't have side by side exhaust ports, but they do lift the heads when given enough boost or nitrous. The LSX motor was built almost right away by GM as they knew there was a problem. And it didn't matter if you used a iron block and aluminum head or both were aluminum.

Just trying to add more info into the mix to find a reason. Maybe it's just a GM thing.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ive been out of serious drag racing for a while, with all these big inch Chevy based motors & hemis i find it hard to believe a pontiac even competing

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura7211 View Post
Bars. One example is the double frame rail, they stop on a pro stock car around the rear of the driver's seat. On a pro-mod they extend all the way to the firewall area.

The new first gen bodies will take the same tire as a fuel car, pro stockers normally will not fit this tire. I believe in NHRA/IHRA a nostalgia body is mandatory in pro-mod now as well.

There are builders offering Titanium options for ADRL pro mods. Basically any bar that isn't necessary for the sfi spec is being replaced with lighter titanium bars. ADRL had no weights minimums up to last year. That may have changed, I do not keep up with their rules.
Have you seen a recent pro-stock car? Back in '95 they were running a double frame rail to the mid plate (1.5 frame rail). There is no real difference in the "chassis" of a pro stock compared to a pro mod with the exception of the engine placement with respect to the center line of the #1 hole and the strut. When my buddy had his RJ Pro Mod, the second frame rail ran all the way up to the front of the car, that is a double frame rail car. It was a pain to put the engine diaper on that thing.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post

Eric
I have heads in my possession that I cut up, no need to post pictures for me.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Have you seen a recent pro-stock car? Back in '95 they were running a double frame rail to the mid plate (1.5 frame rail). There is no real difference in the "chassis" of a pro stock compared to a pro mod with the exception of the engine placement with respect to the center line of the #1 hole and the strut. When my buddy had his RJ Pro Mod, the second frame rail ran all the way up to the front of the car, that is a double frame rail car. It was a pain to put the engine diaper on that thing.
Just basing of a 2000 f-body a friend had. Was built by Bickel and said to be a pro-stock car, but it never competed in either series, instead Top Sportsman down in Texas. Probably just racing junk b.s. in the advertisement. The chassis was very different then the pro-mod he has sitting in his shop now.

To be honest, I do not pay real close attention to big tire cars. They are not as interesting as small tire cars, IMO.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
John could you post pictures so everyone could see... if possible.

Thanks Mark.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar-Pontiac View Post
John could you post pictures so everyone could see... if possible.

Thanks Mark.
I dont have a camera here at work to take an pictures.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post

Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Langer
Eric/John,

I would be interested in any pics, especially center area of heads

herbhagan@yahoo.com

74 Ventura 462/#13 heads/3350#
10.38 @ 128.89 MPH, N/A, Stock suspension, 275/60 Radial, Street legal, Tagged & Insured
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just basing of a 2000 f-body a friend had. Was built by Bickel and said to be a pro-stock car, but it never competed in either series, instead Top Sportsman down in Texas. Probably just racing junk b.s. in the advertisement. The chassis was very different then the pro-mod he has sitting in his shop now.

To be honest, I do not pay real close attention to big tire cars. They are not as interesting as small tire cars, IMO.
Pro Stock cars are built for pro stock. Not saying that it couldnt have been a pro stock style chassis used for sportsman racing. There are alot of comp eliminator cars out there that look like pro stockers but have alot less bars because of the small engines typically used.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not that it is set in stone - but most current Pro Mods are a double frame rail affair and most pro stock are not - some flex in the right place is not really a bad thing

Old 01-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Serious question, instead of building 500+" motors, would it work better to take the sbf approach, keep the cylinder walls thick, stroke short, go between 420-450" and add some large turbos?
This is precisely the approach I took with my funny car...4.181" bore with a 4.00" stroke...the thinnest bore thickness on my IA-2 is .394", with the 7 other bores in excess of .420". Although I am not setting out to rotate the Earth on its axis, I did have the shortblock built with consistent and repeatable passes in mind.

Scott Roberts took a similar approach but with a larger bore.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Suspended

Default Going Pro Mod

If I had it to do all over again, I would shrink my bore down to 4.21" and up my stroke to 4 5/8"

GTO George

Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!