THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem is more widespread and you know. Everybody nowadays thinks they are entitled to give you their opinion I don't know when this started but it really needs to stop.. people deliberately just want to trash what they don't own or think they're an expert on prices of cars maybe they're watching too much gas monkey or whatever but they really need to keep their opinions to their self and have a little more common courtesy I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a price should be mandatory!Tom

Old 09-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Suspended

I am on the fence about prices. Yes, there are those with a Taiwan Teddy built car looking for Barrett-Jackson money. However, there are those that really want to sell but do not have a good handle on the market, so they have reservations about throwing a number out there and gauge the number they have in mind with a caller's response and reaction. Most of the time a person is not going to call just to find out what you are asking. Those that do call are calling because they are interested. That starts a dialogue, a dialogue you would not have if you advertised a price that may be too high. A dialogue can end up being a sale.

Yes, I like seeing prices, but if I am very interested and there is no listed price I will call. If I do not call, well I guess I really wasn't that interested.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Senior Chief

I never list anything without the price. That’s just me, everyone has their own beliefs.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I never respond to an ad that doesn’t have a price listed. If you really want to sell something give as much detailed info as possible, including pictures and price. Then as a buyer I have a very good grasp of what you have and I’m far more motivated to make contact.
Basically if you don’t care, why should I?

Old 09-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm on many facebook for sale pages, that's basically why I'm on facebook. I'm amazed at how stupid people are these days. I've seen ads that don't say what it is, where it is, and how much they want. My favorite line is "must sell need money" then the next line says will trade for_______.!

Old 09-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
I've seen ads that don't say what it is, where it is, and how much they want.
I always get, "What parts do you have for a Pontiac?"

The other is, "I'll take whatever you have". When I start telling them I get the, "Don't need that" or "mine are good".

But the best ones are, "I'm looking for perfect NOS chrome".

Old 09-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I am on the fence about prices. Yes, there are those with a Taiwan Teddy built car looking for Barrett-Jackson money. However, there are those that really want to sell but do not have a good handle on the market, so they have reservations about throwing a number out there and gauge the number they have in mind with a caller's response and reaction. Most of the time a person is not going to call just to find out what you are asking. Those that do call are calling because they are interested. That starts a dialogue, a dialogue you would not have if you advertised a price that may be too high. A dialogue can end up being a sale.

Yes, I like seeing prices, but if I am very interested and there is no listed price I will call. If I do not call, well I guess I really wasn't that interested.
The majority of people who don't post prices are fishing for an unrealistically high number. A portion of the remainder think it's some kind of secret, that only they and the buyer need to know. A very very small portion of the minority is legitimately unaware of the market value for their car and doesn't know how to price it, but A) that's a very small minority and B) that's a GREAT way to set yourself up for getting lowballed. If you don't know how much your car is worth, how are you going to gauge whether or not someone's offer is fair? This is nonsensical. Do your research first and come up with a good price, and if in doubt ask on the slightly higher side. When lower offers start coming in around a certain price range, you'll start to get an idea of its real value.

I almost never waste my time contacting anyone without a price posted, as it is indeed almost always a waste of time. Most no-pricers are just fishing.

People should learn to ignore trolls who trash talk people about prices and such when they post something for sale. Maybe outright trolling posts should be removed, but I'm not at all convinced that price trolls have any effect on what something actually sells for. If something is priced fairly and someone wants it, they're going to contact you regardless of what anyone else says. However, if it is in fact priced unrealistically high, you need to understand that it's not the price trolls hurting your sale, it's your own unrealistically high price. And yes, lots and lots of people post things for unrealistically high prices. I don't think they should he immune from commentary about their price, though I do think it should be tactful, not just outright trolling. Sometimes people are somehow convinced that their car is worth significantly more than it actually is, and some input from the community at large helps them come back down to reality. In the end, you can ask whatever you want for whatever you've got, but if you're unealistic about it I don't think it's fair to expect everyone to just keep quiet about it. If you want to call it a community and encourage participation in it, I'd consider price education a part of participating in the community. Keeping the price a secret is a great way to alienate the rest of the people in the community who may have a similar car and want to use your own sale as a guide as what their own car may be worth.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Suspended

Like I said, I'm on the fence about prices. But bashing someone over a price is only proving what an idiot the person is and someone that wouldn't buy or couldn't afford even if the price was right.

I have seen some pretty stupid prices in my days, some of them sell, some don't. Remember, there's an ass for every seat and the person that sells is the one laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Like I said, I'm on the fence about prices. But bashing someone over a price is only proving what an idiot the person is and someone that wouldn't buy or couldn't afford even if the price was right.

I have seen some pretty stupid prices in my days, some of them sell, some don't. Remember, there's an ass for every seat and the person that sells is the one laughing all the way to the bank.
Indeed, and I've been on both sides of the fences when it comes to selling stuff.. sometimes I laughed while holding a bigger pile of cash than someone thought I'd get for something, and then I've stubbornly hung onto something much longer than I should have because I thought it was worth more. My point is mostly that hiding prices doesn't seem like something that is in any way good for a so-called community of enthusiasts.

Lots of people have this mentality that, just because we're fellow Pontiac enthusiasts or members of the same group/club/etc. that we should all give each other good deals and take care of each other and look out for each other, yet hiding prices and fishing for unrealistic numbers is quite the opposite of that kind of stick together mentality. If you're going to advocate for something being a community with higher standards, those standards should include having enough respect for your fellow members to ask realistic prices and don't pretend it's all a big secret. I don't see how the price games and secrecy fit into the mentality of a community of enthusiasts whatsoever. Hence why I think everyone should be required to post a price for all things.

Now, make no mistake, when I sell something, my priority is to get a top price for it. A realistic price mind you, but as much as I can get. I have long since stopped posting things for sale on specific enthusiast forums and such because I've found that the more knowledgable someone is about something, the less they're generally willing to pay. I'm absolutely that way. I generally don't even peruse forums when looking for stuff to buy because I find better deals elsewhere typically. That's not disparaging forums like this or anything like it at all, it's just reality. More knowledgable folks who are more deeply involved in a given community know how to find the better deals out there. They're in better touch with the market, and thus have more perspective than a typical craigslist goober when judging whether or not something is a good deal. That just makes it all the more pointless for someone to post something without a price, hoping they can reel in a sucker for 30% more than their car is really worth. Because lets also be real, most of the cars for sale on forums like this are not one-off cars where the value is legitimately difficult to determine. Most of the cars you'll find for sale here are pretty easy to establish a value for, so there's just no reason to play price games, we all know what they're worth. Either post it for a realistic price and say what that price is or you're just wasting your and everyone else's time.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Like I said, I'm on the fence about prices.
Let me add to this.... If the classified's rules state that there must be a price in the listing, then there better be a price. This is what is pissing me off about how the Smoke Signals is currently being run. If you are someone special to the editor, you do not have to put a price in your ad. There are numorous ads with no price and it only gets worse with every issue. Per the advertising rules in the Smoke Signals, all ads must have a price or it will not run. When the previous editor ran the Smokes, every ad had a price.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Let me add to this.... If the classified's rules state that there must be a price in the listing, then there better be a price. This is what is pissing me off about how the Smoke Signals is currently being run. If you are someone special to the editor, you do not have to put a price in your ad. There are numorous ads with no price and it only gets worse with every issue. Per the advertising rules in the Smoke Signals, all ads must have a price or it will not run. When the previous editor ran the Smokes, every ad had a price.
I recently have read that Tim is changing the rules for advertising in Smoke Signals and the price is NOT required anymore. The best part about the new Smoke Signals is the classified. Now that part too is going downhill with the rest of it, but thats a whole other topic.

I believe a price should be listed in every ad, no exceptions. And Yes stick with the rules set by the owner of the site/page you are using to advertise your item.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird View Post
I recently have read that Tim is changing the rules for advertising in Smoke Signals and the price is NOT required anymore. The best part about the new Smoke Signals is the classified. Now that part too is going downhill with the rest of it, but thats a whole other topic.

I believe a price should be listed in every ad, no exceptions. And Yes stick with the rules set by the owner of the site/page you are using to advertise your item.
I have been a member since 1983. If there isn't a shake up soon, I am done.

Poncho Perfection is so much better reading, too bad no classifides.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
Of course price should always be listed. What is it, a secret? Post your price so you don't waste people'e time. If you want to auction it, use eBay.
Absolutely!!. Not much gets me really aggravated. But some long, over blown description of a car for sale and all the incredible details and then you look and NO PRICE! If you can't list the price than why is it for sale? Why don't you just give it to a friend? I don't want to have to go to the effort to inquire further just to find out you are asking 4 times what the car is worth. Put a price on it and let the chips fall where they will.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If someone post's something for an outrageous price, no need to bad mouth them, or start the name calling, which happens a lot. When the item doesn't sell, or the seller gets no calls, maybe they will get a clue.
Used to work with a guy, whatever you were selling, he would always say "Oh, I can get that cheaper", BUT HE NEVER WOULD.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
If someone post's something for an outrageous price, no need to bad mouth them, or start the name calling, which happens a lot. When the item doesn't sell, or the seller gets no calls, maybe they will get a clue.
Used to work with a guy, whatever you were selling, he would always say "Oh, I can get that cheaper", BUT HE NEVER WOULD.
Yeah, I'm certainly not advocating for people trash talking someone's post or thread based on their price, but people are gonna do that, so the best thing to do is just ignore it and move on. Or, if you're asking a ludicrous price for something, maybe take the hint and be more realistic. It's a free country and I love capitalism, so that means you get to ask whatever you want, but I don't see why so many people think that everyone should be immune to and protected from criticism just because they get offended by it.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCamaro View Post
I’m a member of that group. I visit it probably daily, always lots of Pontiac’s posted from Craigslist nationally. I wonder was it Robert Miles who defeated your post. Sounds unfortunate. I generally enjoy that group.

robert made the initial negative comment. he probably deleted it

Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I have been a member since 1983. If there isn't a shake up soon, I am done.

Poncho Perfection is so much better reading, too bad no classifides.
I was a member since 87 and I am already done. I agree, PP is a better read, Don and his crew keep the Excitement in Pontiac!! Classifieds would be great!!

Old 09-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It's a free country and I love capitalism, so that means you get to ask whatever you want, but I don't see why so many people think that everyone should be immune to and protected from criticism just because they get offended by it.

Nothing wrong with criticism, but usually you get 200 posts saying it's too much or no it isn't back and forth.

If one wants to criticize it, there is PM's or email.
But they don't do it because most just want to see their name posted.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
Yeah, I'm certainly not advocating for people trash talking someone's post or thread based on their price, but people are gonna do that, so the best thing to do is just ignore it and move on. Or, if you're asking a ludicrous price for something, maybe take the hint and be more realistic. It's a free country and I love capitalism, so that means you get to ask whatever you want, but I don't see why so many people think that everyone should be immune to and protected from criticism just because they get offended by it.
I agree with you and Simple Man except for who is the real judge on price? I have seen what I thought was a ludicrous price for a car and it sold for that ludicrous price. So as Chief says there's an ass for every seat. With Barrett Jackson on TV (fake or real) most people feel they could cash in and they try. Then there's the buyers, some people want what they want and money is no object and will just pay it. So more power to them. An old friend of mine says a fair price is what two fools agree too, whatever that may be. Another friend says put up a high price because you can always go down, can't go up.

If you dont want to deal with criticism because you offend easy dont post on Facebook.