Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-14-2020, 02:21 PM
Senior Chief

Default # 7109 pilot bearing" what if" ?

Hypothetical question only: If the metal dirt shield were to come off the bearing during operation would it cause any damage? Would it need to be taken out?
Lol question

Old 04-14-2020, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First of all how would you even know if it came off?Did it come off when you installed it?LOL!Tom

Old 04-15-2020, 11:39 AM

The original AC Delco 7109s did not have a metal shield on one side. The bearing packed with grease and press in no shield side towards crank.
Gary

Old 04-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it gone or floating there??
If there but floating on input shaft.
I'd postulate it's not as hard as the input shaft so it would spin there and possibly make some noise,BUT it would wear itself (possibly) not the input shaft.
If it is or isn't in there:
Bearing life could be shortened and grease may contaminate clutch lining and leave the bearing over time.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:40 PM
Senior Chief

I put a dent in the dirt shield trying to install the tranny a while back . So I popped out the shield and swapped it out from the old bearing. .Problem was the swap just lightly snapped into place . I didn't like the not so snug fit so I put a very light coat of Loctite bearing retainer around it and reinstalled.. Engine is installed in car but not fired up yet. Just afraid it may come off but don't want to pull the tranny just because I'm getting paranoid.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you got loctite in the bearing....it might loctite up. If it was packed with grease and you didn’t get carried away with amount, forgettaboutit!
Did you stake the crank to retain bearing in crank??
Or is that what you used loctite on( OD of bearing)?
😐

Old 04-15-2020, 04:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITYFIREBIRD View Post
If you got loctite in the bearing....it might loctite up. If it was packed with grease and you didn’t get carried away with amount, forgettaboutit!
Did you stake the crank to retain bearing in crank??
Or is that what you used loctite on( OD of bearing)?
😐
Because the bearing was a easy slip fit in the crank I put the sleeve retainer around the bearing and staked it in about 3 places. . I then packed the hollow ( through the center of the bearing hole) with red hi temp grease. This is in addition to putting a very small amount of the sleeve retainer on dirt shield to hold it in place.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FORGETABOWIT,
if you hear noise('s) later, likely most prominent... when clutch engaged (pedal up) out of gear ... low RPM...you know where to LISTEN.
You can positively stop the input shaft by engaging 4th gear with shifter, clutch pedal to floor, to see if sound varies.

Really no way to SEE without a flexible lighted camera wand.
IDK about packing the crankcavity with grease, never did that myself, just the bearing.If shield dislodges, the grease is going to move outward with RPM and heat, hopefully the flywheel cavity catches it... and it comes out the hole, if there is one, should be visible on engine side of flywheel if grease moving and it has a hole.
Hope I got that right, hope it all works out for ya!!

At work and strange goings on here now, a lot on my mind!

LUKE

Old 04-16-2020, 05:09 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Luke for responding to my post!!! I really appreciate it!
I think that because this National ( Fed. Mogul) is not a truly sealed bearing it's not meant so much to keep the grease inside but to keep debris from getting in. I'm thinking on drilling a 1/2" hole on the bottom of the Lakewood scattershield in the vicinity of the clutch disc so I can properly set the air gap(Centerforce D/F clutch)
Regards to you! Mike

Old 04-16-2020, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The shield should contain the grease so centrifugal force doesn't creep it outward while spinning.
Been a while, but a F/M/ National 7109 has a single steel shield?
IIRC no shield on that #.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:12 PM
Senior Chief

Got it. Yes the National has a single shield with the open side towards the crank. Thx for the education! Mike

Old 04-16-2020, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The shield also keeps clutch dust from getting on your balls bearings it wouldn't take long to mix in with any grease and crap things up once the balls exit the race next time you operate the clutch the input shaft drops a little and then the whole disc rotates off center creating a whole lot of negative vibes

Was a passenger during this one time