Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-31-2024, 10:17 PM

I would never use my home oven or barbecue to heat up parts to cure paint.

An old junk oven or barbecue sure but nothing I planned to cook my food with.

I have never baked my painted manifolds just ran them. Might be a good practice to just run the engine a couple minutes and let them cool a few times.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Lemans View Post
So, for curing these paints, what are you guys using to "bake" them (other than running them on the engine)? Old BBQ grills, your home oven, other? I bought a spray can of the POR-15 silver to paint my manifolds for a fresh engine build, but now I don't know what to use to bake. Will they leave my oven or BBQ permanently toxic?
The high temp por paints are relatively new, says it replaced all the prior products like manifold grey or por-20 silver header paint. The old stuff used to have instructions for a 2 or 3 step curing process on the car, like starting the engine for 1 minute then let cool then run for 3 minutes & let cool or something similar to that.

Now the new "high temp" stuff just says after 24 hour cure to heat to 300 for brush on & 400 for spray on, can probably do that on the car the easiest and run engine for 2 minutes then cool. Can use a infrared heat gun to check the temps if you want to be more accurate, exhaust manifolds & headers heat up very fast on the engine, 2 minutes would be more than enough to reach 300-400 degrees.
Also, exhaust manifolds should be cast iron grey, not silver if that matters to you. https://por15.com/collections/high-t...39607014424743

Could also check around your city for a shop that does powder coating, they will probably let you put them in their oven when they cure a batch of parts for free. But on the engine is the easiest way to hit 400°.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the Eastwood brush on manifold paint and three years later with 2500 miles they still look new.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
POR-15 manifold paint is the least expensive and I’ve used it with success.

I used the brush on version several times and it came out looking very nice.
This is what I used on my factory driver side log manifold while I had it off to replace the shim gasket. I first coated it with hi-heat Rustoleum primer and let it sit for a few days to cure before coating it with the POR-15 Manifold Gray. It's a good, natural cast iron shade and hasn't even shown a remote sign of flaking off or peeling.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been really happy with the Eastwood manifold coating in spray cans. It lasted longer than the powder coating I had done and is easy to touch up if you need to.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post: