Old 11-23-2013, 02:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Speedometer cable replace

Hey guys, now that I am done my jobs I was wanting to replace my speedometer cable/clean my speedometer because the speedometer didn't function properly when I was driving it home. The speedometer was way too low at times and when i'd speed up it would jump by like 20mph when in fact I only creased by approximately 5mph. Anyway, it is a 69 temptest 400ci with an automatic transmission- I think 3 speed. Im not sure as I havent driven it much, and I was pretty angry when driving it. (PRNDSL).

Anyway, I see there are a bunch of different lengths. 61, 63, 84. Can anyone tell me which one I should order.

Also, any advice on doing this job? what screws/pieces do I take out of the dash first?

Old 11-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Menace View Post
Hey guys, now that I am done my jobs I was wanting to replace my speedometer cable/clean my speedometer because the speedometer didn't function properly when I was driving it home. The speedometer was way too low at times and when i'd speed up it would jump by like 20mph when in fact I only creased by approximately 5mph. Anyway, it is a 69 temptest 400ci with an automatic transmission- I think 3 speed. Im not sure as I havent driven it much, and I was pretty angry when driving it. (PRNDSL).

Anyway, I see there are a bunch of different lengths. 61, 63, 84. Can anyone tell me which one I should order.

Also, any advice on doing this job? what screws/pieces do I take out of the dash first?
Before you replace it, I'd recommend spraying some silicone lube/release-all oil inside the cable...to see if it may be binding from rust/dirt...cheap test/fix before you replace it....

Old 11-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz View Post
Before you replace it, I'd recommend spraying some silicone lube/release-all oil inside the cable...to see if it may be binding from rust/dirt...cheap test/fix before you replace it....
Okay, I can do that. I'm still going to have to do the same process other than buying a new one, correct? Still take the dash off, get to the cluster and then undo it from there? Is there some way to clean the back of the speedo too in case that's where it's messed up?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Okay, I can do that. I'm still going to have to do the same process other than buying a new one, correct? Still take the dash off, get to the cluster and then undo it from there? Is there some way to clean the back of the speedo too in case that's where it's messed up?
Easiest to try would be on the tranny side first...I am able to remove my speedo cable w/out removing the dash but I have no A/C and I am flexible enough to crawl under there...:-)

Old 11-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz View Post
Easiest to try would be on the tranny side first...I am able to remove my speedo cable w/out removing the dash but I have no A/C and I am flexible enough to crawl under there...:-)
Wow, okay I will try that. I dont think I would be able to with my T-rex arms. (PS-Go LEAFS Go!)

Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
(PS-Go LEAFS Go!)
Them's FIGHTIN' words....

Old 11-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You don't have to remove the dash to replace the speedometer cable. It has a clip in the back where it meets the speedometer itself. If you undo that you can pull out the whole cable from the car (after you unscrew it from the trans). I agree with robz you should try greasing it first. Sounds like its dry and binding.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by android 211 View Post
You don't have to remove the dash to replace the speedometer cable. It has a clip in the back where it meets the speedometer itself. If you undo that you can pull out the whole cable from the car (after you unscrew it from the trans). I agree with robz you should try greasing it first. Sounds like its dry and binding.
So if I lay under the car I can unclip it from the speedo? Interesting.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to a motorcycle shop and get a cable luber (attaches to one end of the cable to lube it) and the best cable lube you can get. Money well spent.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So if I lay under the car I can unclip it from the speedo? Interesting.
No...you have to reach under the DASH to unclip it from there...then under the car on tranny to unscrew it from that...Like I said above, do the easy part first and see the results (from Tranny)...

Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Alright, I unhooked the cable from the tranny, and it looks normal from what I would think. I saw the cable plugged into the cluster, but I'd prefer not to fiddle with the cluster if I don't have go..I dont want to break anything. So about greasing it up from below, would I spray a silicone lube up the tube, or put grease on the square end that plugs into the tranny or both? I was told by a co-worker to put grease on the end, but I wanted to clarify here first. Thanks

Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM

It's only a clip that holds the cable housing to the back of the speedo. If you have no AC it is a pretty easy thing to remove.
If it were me, and I were going through the trouble of disconnecting it, I would take the cable housing all the way out, pull the cable out of the housing, inspect it, replace if needed, or clean and lube it and put it back together.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

alright so I melted the speedo cable onto the exhaust (I let it hang there and didnt think about it) anyway, I am picking up a new one today. How do I go about lubing this up? I have wheel bearing/chasis grease...do I just rub this onto both ends? Or do I have to spray lube down the tube?

Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the inner cable completely out of the housing, smear white lubriplate engine
assy grease on the cable then put it back in.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

oh, i saw on one video a guy pulled it out, but I didnt think this one did.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey, i was wondering about this black grommet...makes it so it can't screw into the speedo part of the transmission. Does this even go there?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, Darth, there should be no rubber in there.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ya, I took it out and it went in there fine. I don't know where I got that grommet from and how I got it in my head it went in there, and it fit so nicely. Another piece to add to my mystery box

Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think you can remove the cable from the casing at the trans mission connection due to the cable end being bigger at the cluster end.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.