EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 01-21-2003, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question 1. What would be the specs on a hyd roller cam for a strong EFI motor?
I have decided to go with a 73 455, Stock 87cc E-heads, probably some forged aftermarket rods, forged/hyper pistons, Victor intake, 1000cfm TB. 5spd Tremec, 3.32 or 3.08 rear end.

How far should the injectors protrude into the ports? I am going to drill the intake for the bungs and how far should the bungs go into the intake?

Question 2. What cam specs would work good for mid range torque and cruising. Also, the car will have AC. Should I design a custom cam or go with one of off the shelf Comp Cams?
http://compcams.com/catalog/204_205.html

Sorry for being ignorant about these issues and I figured you would be the one to ask.

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2003, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question 1. What would be the specs on a hyd roller cam for a strong EFI motor?
I have decided to go with a 73 455, Stock 87cc E-heads, probably some forged aftermarket rods, forged/hyper pistons, Victor intake, 1000cfm TB. 5spd Tremec, 3.32 or 3.08 rear end.

How far should the injectors protrude into the ports? I am going to drill the intake for the bungs and how far should the bungs go into the intake?

Question 2. What cam specs would work good for mid range torque and cruising. Also, the car will have AC. Should I design a custom cam or go with one of off the shelf Comp Cams?
http://compcams.com/catalog/204_205.html

Sorry for being ignorant about these issues and I figured you would be the one to ask.

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2003, 06:53 PM

If you are going to use a carb intake then use one for the application you are intending to use it for. A torquer II would probably be a better fit for cruising and midrange power.
Bye using carb based intake with EFI you are basically just making your combination more refined so just figure your combination like you would with a carb.
If you make up a ram tuned EFI intake then you probably need to look at some different combination of cam and CYL head.
Just my opinion but it's common sense.
Bartman

Old 01-22-2003, 05:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I want to do. The Victor will be fine. There will be so much torque that the intake really won't matter since it is a dry intake manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	efi455.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	4280  

Old 01-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Very Nice Photo! Do you know whos intake that is by chance?

Quote:

"Question 1. What would be the specs on a hyd roller cam for a strong EFI motor?

I would suggest Hydrallic roller cam specs in the 455 SD camshaft range for duration (224/235 @.050)
but more lift than the stock cam (hopefully around .550) The 455 SD was a strong street performer with a plain hydrallic cam of those specs and a roller will be even better. This will also work with your 3.32 gear. With the od trans a 3.08 may be too low of a ratio even with a 455.

Quote:

Bungs should not extend into the roof of the ports
and the "o" rings on the injectors should not be exposed when viewing the injector from inside the runner. Emissions engines point the injector at the valve but you can mount the bungs almost vertical without issues.

Quote:

See above.

Nothing ignorant about it as there are no ignorant
people, just people who have not asked for help
from other people who have made more mistakes than they have. LOL! Good luck Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whose engine in the photo?

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
I Misus Rash'!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom. I greatly appreciate it. So it looks like a custom grind is in order since Comp doesn't stock anything that comes close to those specs. That motor is from this article. You might recogonize the 455 they built up in their big motor comparo they did last year.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/77778/index.html

The manifold is from Wilson and the TB is the same one I believe Goatman is going to sell me.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw an article on I think the Holley BBC single plane EFI setup. They used special shorter injectors to keep the angle down and pointed at the valve better.
Also a recent Car Craft I believe mentioned different spray pattern injectors ebing better for converted wet flow intakes.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs