Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-14-2023, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am running a "Safe-T stat" in my 62 Catalina. They have a secondary spring in them which will open the thermostat if it fails. Supposed to not fail closed and overheat engine. They cost a little more. My car has a 160 degree version and will not run over 175 degrees no matter what the outside temps or how i drive it. I think that is a little cold for my liking and costing me some driveability and fuel mileage. I may try a 180 degree version next year. My point is those thermostats seem to have very good control of the coolant temp. Available from NAPA and many other sources.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My factory guage reads 220 but when I point my infra red temp instrument on the cross over it measures 160.
And, temps on each head differ about 10 degrees or so.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 12-14-2023, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I am running a "Safe-T stat" in my 62 Catalina. They have a secondary spring in them which will open the thermostat if it fails. Supposed to not fail closed and overheat engine. They cost a little more. My car has a 160 degree version and will not run over 175 degrees no matter what the outside temps or how i drive it. I think that is a little cold for my liking and costing me some driveability and fuel mileage. I may try a 180 degree version next year. My point is those thermostats seem to have very good control of the coolant temp. Available from NAPA and many other sources.
That's typically what I buy from Napa
And they work as advertised.
I've used the 160's for decades with no ill affects. All my stuff will generally top out about 175 on the really hot Arizona days when it's over 100. On the cooler days I'll see 160's typically and if it's below 75 degrees my stuff will run at the crack open temp and settle in the 155 range.
I actually get phenomenal gas mileage with the cars and don't have any hot start or ethanol fuel related issues either. But most importantly the stats have always worked like they should for me.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: