Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 AM

Default Memories PMD / Chevy Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Seeing this pic reminded me of the time when I was young and foolish (last year?) and working second shift in the Engineering photo lab. I was invited to visit the Dyno Lab and take pictures of the exhaust manifold turning cherry red when the engine on the dyno stand is redlined. I got about a dozen Polaroids showing various shades of red. This was accomplished by about 3 or 4 cycles of accelerating then cooling the engine down so I can work my magic with the Polaroid back in the 4x5 view camera that I am using in the Dyno Cell very near the ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!

The Dyno Lab operator then and only then told me that Those engines sometimes blew up and scattered debris (shrapnel????) all over the cell. He also pointed at the 1 inch thick plexiglass shield that protected him while he ran the cell.

I thanked him for his belated "Safety Message" I gathered up my stuff and split.

I wish I had one of the polaroids but I have never seen one here. I may have had one in my desk but I may have donated it to the GM Heritage Center. If I track the picture I could have given my life for, I will post it.
---------------------------------------------------

A friend drove from Pontiac, then after being transferred from warren every Friday to Traverse City to be with his wife and kids for the weekend.

The Fleet Supervisor, found out he was putting all those miles on his personal car and offered him selected fleet cars that absolutely needed miles put on them. He drove these carsfor several months and enjoyed the comfort that can only be derived from haveing someone else oay your way. One night, his engine siezed near West Branch and he knew one thing for sure "Good bye job!"

He worked up the courage to call up the fleet supervisor..............

Continued next post

Citydesk175

=====================
There are 10 types of people in this world"
those who know binary and those who don't
========================
Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 AM

And the Fleet Supervisor was excited to get one of his cars to seize. (legalistic stuff and so on) He told my friend to "sit tight" (as if he had other options) After a few hours, the flatbed with his replacement ride showed up and he was on his way go Traverse.

================================================== =============

Another friend's folks were in accident while vacationing in the South. They left the car at the local dealership and were told that replacement parts were slow in arriving in that area. More to come as I am falling asleep into the keyboard

Regards for now

=====================
========================
Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Default How well are you connected to GM?

They began their wait for the parts to dribble in to this dealer shop. The dribble was slow or non existant and bills for rental car, motel, and restaurant mounted,
Finally, my friend's dad called him at his job at the Milford Proving Grounds and asked him to expedite some parts by any means necessary. My friend called the MPG Fleet guy and magically a major replacement part arrived at the dealership the very next day. Senior got a call within minutes of the part delivery:"How well are you connected to GM?" Senior admitted to being a retired Tech Center executive and stated that his son worked at Milford.

The caller invited him to visit the new car sales dept immediately but otherwise dropped no hints. Later after a quick tour of the lot, senior was offered an excellent deal on a new car and an amazing tradein on his wrecked car.

Obviously, the dealer was shy about inconveniencing someone who had so much influence that a part would get next day delivery.

================================================== ==

In 1967 while I was in basic training at FT Leonard Wood, MO. a Major visited the Supply SGT and made comments about his inability to get dental appointments at the post clinic. Our Sgt called the SGT Major at the post hospital and passed the Major's comments along. "Thanks, Sgt Major..... I will pass your info along to the Major.......and by the way.. I have that 25 pound can of coffee I promised you last week sitting on my desk ready for pick up."

In about half an hour, a Dentist showed up to pick up the can.

and every body was happy

=============================================

=====================
========================
Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 AM

Default Your call will be monitored for quality purposes.

"Yeah right!" (BTW the previous 2 word phrase is the only one that employs two positives to make a negative)

A friend was making absolutely no headway with Cadillac in getting his late mothers Cadillac repaired under the warrantee recall campaign that had been conducted on a different model but 99% the same as the car in question. After many calls to the person whose number was given to him by the Warranty group, My friend finally got through and tried to press home his case for warrenty to pay for the repairs. He got the standard Stonewall NO to his request and the Clerk /Warranty program Vice President was not going to give Yes for an answer. "Can I talk to your boss?" "I am my boss," "How about some one Above you?" "I am fully empowered to make a final disposition on your request, and my answer is NO !....... Have a nice day!" "Click"

A few weeks later, a very nice Cadillac executive called and said "I monitored you call and was personally appalled at our former employe's treatmen of customers and you."
We will honor the warrantee and would like take care of you in someother way too. We want you to be happy"

Any one else ever get rescued by the fairy tape monitor?

more to come
CD175

=====================
========================