Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Car thief stoppers

What works better? The Club? or Custom installed Combination locks?
Who has the best locks?
Any other SOLUTIONS?

Thanks
CD175

=====================
There are 10 types of people in this world"
those who know binary and those who don't
========================
Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM

A large Dog.

Any pro with a rollback will get your car if they want it bad enough.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i think the only real protection from theft is good insurance.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:04 PM

My shop truck has no door locks and a shrunken head hanging from the mirror.

Nobody has touched it in the 4 years I've owned it.

Shawn

Old 08-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A club only stops a determined, professional thief for as long as it takes to cut up the steering wheel.

One solution I've heard of is using a headlamp delay switch hidden somwhere in the ignition system circuit. If a thief does get the car started, the delay switch will allow him to get a few hundred yards away when the whole electrical system shuts down. Almost all times, the thief will abandon the car as opposed to trying to diagnose the problem on the, most times, very public spot.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Powerlock.
http://www.powerlock.com/

Solenoid module that permanently mounts to your starter. A key fob talks to the interface to allow vehicle start. Supposedly 100% hotwire proof.

I'm not sure if this type of system would prevent a pop-clutch start on a MT car though.

But as stated, nothing stops a determined thief with a rollback and time.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Okay, being from the Bronx originally I can honestly tell you that if they want it bad enough, they will get it, period.
I have seen them stolen first hand by way of Flatbed, tow truck, garages broken into, cars broken into and moved to get to a desired vehicle, wing men to snub the cops if they get in the way, cars being driven away with a vice grips. Your best bet is to keep a few visual deterrants in the hopes that they might go for an easier target, have great insurance and a hook in a body shop (to avoid paying anything out of pocket/deductible) if they clip it and you get it back.
Another thing, when you go for an oil change, buy parts especially from junkyards, bring the car to get audio components, wheels etc.. Do not give them your address ever. Most hits I remembered in my area were not from some "Chop Shop" that's TV. In reality most of it is directly linked to shops, especially body shops & junk yards putting an order in for used parts.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 08-09-2009, 02:25 PM

Was reading this morning etching your vin number into every peice of glass in the car.It would be very expensive to replace all the glass in a car,but trackable.But on the other hand it would'nt stop a good old joy ride.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1, Large garage
2, Large dog(s) who lives in garage.
You can't beat a security system that works for dog food.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Stopping Thieves:

A nice 12 gauge pump works well too! The sound of the gun racking is feared by many across the land!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM

there are removable steering wheels with locks that lock the column when the wheel is removed. I have also put the "siren" that people usually mount outside to sound when the alarm is triggered, INSIDE. 120db is a wonderful deterrent, especially when it is attached to an auxillary battery located in the trunk ( to avoid being disconnected )

Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Powerlock: Haul car away on flatbed, remove Powerlock at Chop Shop. Probably need to pull starter to remove.
Quote:
I'm not sure if this type of system would prevent a pop-clutch start on a MT car though.
I doubt it, because with carbureted cars you can simply jumper from battery+ to ignition+, and push start. Column and shifter locks (if equipped) are easy to defeat.

I think a cell phone based tracking/disabling system would work well, unless of course they load your car into a steel shipping container right away.

Another way to prevent theft is to have a car very few people want. Like 73-77 A-bodies

With all the posts about thefts at car shows this summer, it looks like participants need to help keep an eye out for (and video) unusual activities.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exclamation If you LOVE what you drive, don't take this thread lightly

I read this thread back when it was started, and took it half heartedly.
Do I ever wish I would have gave it serious thought now.
Just didn't believe someone would be brazen enough to steal my car from a semi-gated well lit apartment parking area. That, and I didn't really believe my car was the hot ticket for theives.

Please, Please, people, don't discourage others from putting some form of theft protection on their beloved vehicle by saying how easily determined theives will still get your car. In a lot of cases, the so-called 'beatable' theft guards are still effective as a deterant.
If I had invested in a CLUB or a brake pedal lock, I'm quite sure my car would still be in my posession right now. A slim chance maybe they would have been prepared to cut that stuff off, but probably not. And a hidden battery quick-disconnect would have stopped them in their tracks. These walking peices of feces skipped over a very nice '99 Monte Carlo right next to my car, because it had the chip-in-the-key ignition.

A flatbed would have been useless where my car was parked: sandwiched between my winter beater and the neighbor lady's Monte. And a fence less than 20 feet behind.
Not to mention all the commotion it would cause.

I sit here heartbroken because I had a car that was going to last me 10-15 years of dependible service. And it's gone, mostly because I thought it would "Never happen to me, at least not at my own residence".
So all the "you can't stop a determined theif" talk is not very productive is it?

Save that for the mint GTOs and Trans Ams.

I'll get off my box now.

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)
Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Club and a McGard steering column lock for my GTO. Club can be easily removed if you cut the wheel, but even cutting the wheel doesn't remove the steering column lock.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I defeated a steering column lock with pliers and a screw driver in 5 minutes. the car was in the McCormick Place underground parking garage with plenty of people and security around. Everybody ignored me as I hammered on the column, started the car and drove away.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
I defeated a steering column lock with pliers and a screw driver in 5 minutes. the car was in the McCormick Place underground parking garage with plenty of people and security around. Everybody ignored me as I hammered on the column, started the car and drove away.
is this an admission of a crime?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I stole my own car when the ignition key broke off in the lock. It was a $300 winter beater Dodge Omni, so no crime.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an old '89 Ranger for a daily driver. When I go to the store, or barber shop, or NAPA, I don't take the keys out of the car. I was told that I could be charged with inviting car theft, but I say that, if someone stole it, they were inviting a severe beating, or probably worse! I don't get mad, I get even!

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Say hello to my little friends!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoonsGTO 001.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	182726   Click image for larger version

Name:	CoonsGTO 003.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	182727  

Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember back in the late 80's early 90's a company that made a starter solenoid that had a remote and could only work when activated. I still cannot find out who made it, I think I saw an ad for it in carlisle.

My brother in law always uses geese for securtity, they never sleep, ( enough to miss anything) and oh so loud when theres intruders.

I know my ex brother in law saved his 240Z with a proximity alarm tied to his celll. it calls the home phone instantly. I guess one guy got his club across the back before he crawled away. He later tried to sue but there was great lit up video.
Another friend in Calif. uses a motion sensor in his wheel wells to triger a alarm and a remote which turns on lights ( not in the car)
just some stuff I happen to hear.