Old 08-19-2016, 12:58 PM

Default What is it worth ? 1970 GTO 400-4, 4 Speed Red/Black Project??

I have just found this car , and you GTO Gurus tell me what its worth , Im going to make an offer and need some insight..

The car is sold missing hood, and nose. fenders need some patches, driver door needs a skin, has new floor pans and driver side quarter welded in, need the passenger side quarter welded...

No motor or transmission, and wrong diff ( 10 bolt open , 3.08 now )

interior needs restoration, seat skins, dash cracked etc etc...you know , the usual...

I have a pic of the build sheet and pics attached...

I would like to make a safe offer, I have just sold my 68 firebirdyesterday , and not sure if I want to make a move right now, but if the price is right I might... I always liked the GTO.

tell me what you think...

Peter

Old 08-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something doesn't look right in the rear seat divider? Vent tube and cutouts looks like 71-72? Not 70...

Old 08-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$500 max....theres nothing there...

figure out what what it cost to replace the stuff missing and youd would be better with a different car..

let me say something...i am all about project cars..the more they are apart the more i like them..i buy all i can find and ive made good money doing it..but even i would pass if it was more than 500...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a 71 - 72 shell w/the fuel evap system behind the rear seat back.
May want to look close at the vin rivets also.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Senior Chief

Is there a data tag on the cowl?

1971 T-37 Laurentian Green/Sandalwood buckets
455/1971 #96 heads/TH400/3.31 12-bolt posi/4-wheel discs
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think it comes down to how much money you are willing to put in to it and how much you work and time you want to sink in to it. I would also say that you'll want to keep it because you won't back out financially what you would have to put in to it.

Its an Oshowa built car like mine. cool.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:22 AM

Well ,I havent seen the car , the guy is hours away from me and haven't found the time yet . The fact that it would be a 71-72 car is not a good start. The guy says his dad owned the car originally but the car changed hands during the last 30 years.

Maybe at the Oshawa plant they did things differently regarding the rear seat divider. ...

I own a couple classic and fun cars already, I have just sold a 68 Firebird project I had bought a year ago because I realized that I had no time to fix it for now.

So maybe I should pass this car and focus on the stuff I have already ( 73 bird, couple Porsches, 1968 L30, 12 bolt 4 speed black/gold Camaro (project), and a ton of race bikes.

To be honest I just found that guy selling that GTO and looking at the order sheet it seemed interesting: Oshawa built car, Red on black interior with red vinyl top, 4 speed , etc ...

But I know nothing about GTO values, I dont build cars to make money , but I collect cars that hold their value so its like money in my matress but , at least I can enjoy it.

I Always liked the 70 GTO ( I was a big fan of Reggie Dunlop's GTO in Slap Shot)

I would hate to buy this car and it turns out its a 71 shell with 70s tags.

Or maybe GTO isn't rare or desirable and I should move on and focus on the stuff I have already...The 68 Camaro I have is a basket case at the moment.

Peter

Last edited by besserspat; 08-20-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are looking at probably over $2K just in parts for a decent nose, grilles, hood, valance, and then you still need glass, trim, interior, etc. When you factor in an engine, trans, LSD, driveshaft, and all the other parts you don't have, I bet you are looking at over $15K just in parts.

Building a car that starts out like this will be $$$$$, even if you got it for free. Ask me how I know....

That not even taking into how the value would be affected if something isn't right with the body vs. VIN.

Or, if you've always wanted a 70-72 A body, say screw it, buy it and build it the way you want!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 08-21-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

An extremely solid straight 99.9% rust free '70 GTO convert project sold down the road from me earlier this year for 15K. Atoll blue/sandalwood/auto, original drivetrain, went to NY. Agree with mrennie, the above hardtop is a money pit!! It def looks neat on the Canadian doc sheet, but the car has def been completely rebodied with a '71-72 body. Some folks like to play that game, others understand the consequences.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Some cars your gonna hate by the time their done. This is probably gonna be one of those. Do yourself a favor and just say no thanks.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 AM

thanks guys I passed, the seller was very evasive and just wanted the thing gone... without giving much info .

Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v View Post
Looks like a 71 - 72 shell w/the fuel evap system behind the rear seat back.
May want to look close at the vin rivets also.
Didn't the 70 California sold cars have the evap system? This one sold in Canada but not sure I'd rule this out as a true 70 based on The evap system just yet.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

M21 is rare for standard-engine GTOs, but not sure if you'd be able to recoup that value once it's fixed up. I think most people would rather move up to a RA or 455 car.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:08 PM

Food for thought...

I've spent over $25k on my A-body, and it still needs quarters/paint. Keep in mind, that 25k was spent doing things on a budget and doing the work myself. If you're into restorations or simply love the car, go for it. Otherwise, you'd be better off buying one that is already done.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That car appears to be a clip job all the way through. quarters added on, doors from another car, possibly the roof and inner wheel well bulkhead from another car. Run as fast as you can...