Old 08-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 71 parking brake cable routing

Still trying to sort out the previous owner/ mechanic/ hack artist who worked on my car. The parking brake cable is cinched up as far as it will go( and still loose at the parking brake assembly) and is missing the drivers side wire clip that tensions the cable. The passengers side is hooked thru the passenger side rail (not the underbody reinforcement) and , again is missing the drivers side clip. Also missing was the 6.58 " clip that attaches thru the trans crossmember (that I bought from our host).

So, if I get the drivers side clip and move the passengers side clip to the underbody reinforcement location, should I then be able to adjust the parking brake?
Anyone have any photos showing the exact placement?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

I just figured out how the Ebrake cables were run last weekend. You need the hangers in the right spots to make it all work right. I started by loosening the cable as far as it would go, then hung the cables on all the wire hangers and finally made the adjustments to the cable. I don't have a lift so taking pics would be hard and probably won't come out good.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 08-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you both Scarebird and Hunter 98TA!

The diagram help alot and I see that, once all the correct components are installed, the adjustments should go easily.
During the last 40+ years the trans crossmember has obviously been changes out because there is no slot for the front cable to pass thru and I do have the M40 trans.
Thanks again.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

O.K., really frustrated now.

I have the diagram that Scarebird provided and even with all the side clips and the 6.58" long center clip installed, there is just too much cable. The adjuster is cinched down as short as it can be and there is approximately 3" too much cable in the rear cable loop.
I have the M40 auto trans but there is no slot in the trans support/ crossmember to run the front cable thru. Even if there was a slot, there would still be too much cable.
Does ANYONE have a photo of the cables installed?
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TH400 and TH350 use different cable set-ups...sounds like your intermediate cable is from a TH350 car.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, thank you for this thread. I had given up in frustration a couple weeks back when my cable stuff wouldn't hook up. I saw this, and revisited the hook locations while gutting the exhaust system. I had the crossmember hook stuck in the wrong hole. Thumbs up.

OP, I wish you luck. Have you considered moving your 2 side hooks farther forward to a different set of holes to take up slack?

Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I actually measured the cable based on GStageI's comment and it does appear to be the TH350 cable. The TH400 cable is about 7" shorter than the TH350 cable( 95,38" as compared to 103.75") . I went to Napa online and then to the Napa store to confirm and then buy the shorter cable. It will arrive in a few days and I will immediately install.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Senior Chief

Sounds like you'll have it worked out. That's why I love this site. So many talented people willing to help others.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Absolutely! From my previous 70 GTO 455 to the survivor 73 TA and now this car, members have been exceptionally helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
Sounds like you'll have it worked out. That's why I love this site. So many talented people willing to help others.