Old 08-20-2016, 07:08 PM

Default Radio confusion

Hey all, so finishing up our 70 gto and kind of confused about my radio situation. Originally we planned to take an old radio and get it upgraded with modern internal but we were able to get our hands on the original AM radio that came in our car so my plan is to put that back in untouched and go with an aftermarket unit in the glovebox. So I have already purchased and mounted two retrosound restomod 6x9 dual voice coil speakers (100 watt RMS, 200 watt max) and one new 4x10 speaker for the front (90 watt RMS, 160 watt max). Problem is I'm not really sure where to go from here. I assume all radios aren't the same but I don't know what specs to really look at to pick the right radio. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your original radio will need 10 ohm speakers and the repos you installed are out of spec for that. One option is to just have the original there for looks only and setup your new glove box head unit to run the 4x10 in the front and the two 6x9's.

In the same boat here with my 71 vert. Opted to use the original AM in the dash with the US made repo 10 ohm dash speaker. Planning on some under seat speakers and head unit in the glove box since AM only will start to suck quickly .

Old 08-20-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Your original radio will need 10 ohm speakers and the repos you installed are out of spec for that. One option is to just have the original there for looks only and setup your new glove box head unit to run the 4x10 in the front and the two 6x9's.
This is exactly what I was thinking about doing but I just don't know what to look for to find the correct unit to put in the glove box (watts, ohms, etc).