THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default FB site, "Pontiacs found for Sale or Wanted-Pontiacs only"

I had an interesting experience on FB today. As some of you may have noticed, I am selling one of my Pontiacs. Actually I have listed three here on the PY Forums but only planned on selling one of them. ie; once someone agrees to buy one of them, I'll likely keep the other two.

Anyway, I listed the 2001 TA on the Facebook page called 'Pontiacs found for sale or Wanted'. I was curious to see what kind of activity could come from the site. The pages policies are much the same as ours. Make sure you include a price, and pics etc. So I listed the car, the price and a link to the PY Forums topic that has all the info. Within a few minutes of it being posted, a member replied basically to this affect. 'a $7,000 car with a $6000 supercharger doesn't add up to $22k. Pretty much making fun of my asking price. This is something the mods here on PY have worked very hard to educate members to avoid. I think we all agree that as tempting as it is to burst the owners bubble, it's pretty rude and annoying to readers.

So I'm thinking maybe the Admin will pull his post but upon a closer look, it's the Admin and the OWNER of the page that made the post!

Since starting the PY forums back in 1991, I probably have been called every derogatory name imaginable. I also think I've learned Pontiacs pretty well over the years. So it's going to take a lot more than making fun of my asking price for me to get offended. But, with my experience in this arena, I felt I could give him some advice on this topic. .I nicely suggested that making fun of members asking prices could send the wrong message to the group.

To which he replied, 'oh yeh, I noticed you didn't post pics of your car so now it's gone! Yep, he deleted my topic and the other members contributions to the topic.

Why mention this at all? Many of you have probably read my most recent analysis of the Pontiac hobby and how FB can help and can hurt our hobby.

The site he runs is basically a FB version of what PY members have been posting in the lobby for years. Members find cars and parts for sale on craigslist, fb, magazines, auctions etc and list them for all to see.

PY has had plenty of controversy over the last 27 years but you have to admit we have at least been pretty darn consistent. You pretty much always know what you are going to get and you are getting it from the same handful of experienced enthusiasts for all these years.

I am NOT sour grapes on FB. I like FB. I use it for a number of things. This is just a reminder to be careful how much time and energy you invest in all these rogue FB pages run by unknown Pontiac enthusiasts with unknown agendas and unknown credentials.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well said, Chris. I agree 100%.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 09-04-2018, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know the guy but at the very top of his page he posted on June 11

This is a reminder, in ALL sale ads. PICS, PRICE, LOCATION. This isnt ebay or an auction group, NO EXCEPTIONS. Thank you, enjoy!

So if you didn't post pictures you violated his requirements right from the start. However he does sound like a touchy jerk.

Thank you for starting PY way back when!!!!

Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Senior Chief

10 4 on all this,..I'll never use his site

Old 09-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Exactly why I don't do Facebook. More idiots than a barrel of monkeys.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the for sale policy on the HAMB board - you can only respond with a private message to the seller. That gets rid of all the derogatory posts from the popcorn gallery. On any forum there are going to be people who think they have to question every car for sale, and point out flaws that at least to me are invisible in the pictures. And of course no matter what the price is, it's way too high.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I like the for sale policy on the HAMB board - you can only respond with a private message to the seller. That gets rid of all the derogatory posts from the popcorn gallery. On any forum there are going to be people who think they have to question every car for sale, and point out flaws that at least to me are invisible in the pictures. And of course no matter what the price is, it's way too high.
I don't quite agree with that. Sometimes people incorrectly list an item whether by simple mistake or by misleading. Being able to post a correction helps everyone involved. It happened to me and was glad for it. Only being able to PM the seller might go ignored for one reason or another.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post

This is a reminder, in ALL sale ads. PICS, PRICE, LOCATION. This isnt ebay or an auction group, NO EXCEPTIONS. Thank you, enjoy!

So if you didn't post pictures you violated his requirements right from the start. However he does sound like a touchy jerk.

but he searches craigslist and puts up links to cars for sale without pics. I think the idea is for customers to be able to look at pics. Which I included a link to do so just like he did.

Also, he was fine with my post until a few others including myself questioned his initial derogatory comments about the price of my car.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do not go to face Book, there’s enough jackasses on these forums to go over there, lol.
Just Say no to face puke.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes pause pause

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 09-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Exactly why I don't do Facebook. More idiots than a barrel of monkeys.
HEY ...isn't that racist? lol

Old 09-04-2018, 03:21 PM

Sorry you had that experience Chris, crazy world we live in for sure. I’m finding most of the parts I need here, MOST of the members here are very open to deals and helping other members. There are a few who are all about the money! I bought a car sight un seen on FB, with the recommendations from members here of the seller. It was a great experience. Not all are on FB and other sites.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 09-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
LOL! I thought about that as soon as I posted it.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a shame it had to end that way and you didn't get a chance to showcase a car for sale. Sounds kinda counterintuitive to me. Personally, I have a fb account but can honestly say I have never made a post. I go on once a week at the most and once there I forget why I even did Im not too sure its appropriate for a third party to interject within a for sale add. I know if I was selling a car I wouldn't appreciate some yahoo telling everyone, everything that is wrong with my car real or imagined. I put the due diligence on the part of the buyer. As a buyer Im not sure I would listen to some yahoo telling whats wrong either!

Old 09-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
So Ames better change their logo then ?

Old 09-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post

this question will be for chris. I see several forums that they always require a price to be listed. why is this? location I get, but never really got the price required deal.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I belong to a FB Pontiac buy and sell group, that's run by a member here, and his wife. They put up with NO CR@P, when it comes to the group. Inappropriate post's, such as questioning prices, bickering, non Pontiac items, are deleted quickly. They have rules, and they are followed, or the offender gets the axe.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Similar FB experience with mentioning my 68 GTO could be up for grabs, and some hockey puck makes slanderoud comments on the condition, and bla bla. I addressed him, and he got worse ( not even smack talk). So...

i pointed out a few things, shut him up, and left that Pontiac FB hanging in wonder what a good deal someone could have had.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:40 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
this question will be for chris. I see several forums that they always require a price to be listed. why is this? location I get, but never really got the price required deal.
Of course price should always be listed. What is it, a secret? Post your price so you don't waste people'e time. If you want to auction it, use eBay.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 AM
Suspended

I’m a member of that group. I visit it probably daily, always lots of Pontiac’s posted from Craigslist nationally. I wonder was it Robert Miles who defeated your post. Sounds unfortunate. I generally enjoy that group.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCamaro View Post
I’m a member of that group. I visit it probably daily, always lots of Pontiac’s posted from Craigslist nationally. I wonder was it Robert Miles who defeated your post. Sounds unfortunate. I generally enjoy that group.
Could be. A re-visit to his FB page would confirm for me.