THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Suspended

Exclamation Super Bowl Saturday or Super Bowl Monday - What?!!!

News has been "suggesting" that next weeks Super Bowl Game could be "moved" to Saturday or Monday due to the weather. What?

How's that supposed to work for ticket holders, airlines, hotels, et al?

FWIW - I remember playing football w the neighborhood kids during blizzard snows, in the freezing sleeting ice storms, etc. because we were a bunch of kids crazy about the game of football.

What say you?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know WTF they were thinking having the Superbowl in NJ. Even if my team was in it, I have no desire to sit out there in crappy weather! Doesn't everyone want to to travel to New Jersey in early February?

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goatless For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to NJ. It's wintertime, bring a coat.

They should play at the scheduled time, come what may. If you pay the bucks for a ticket, you should have sense enough to understand what the weather possibilities could be.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Saw this:

Storm turns out to be practice drill for Super Bowl cleanup crew

Photos: Storm gives crews a chance to prepare for possible Super Bowl snow

TYSON TRISH/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
Crews work to remove snow from inside of MetLife Stadium Wednesday.
National Football League executive Eric Grubman said he didn’t wish for Tuesday’s snowstorm, and he sure isn’t rooting for one on Super Bowl Sunday, either.

But, he added at a news conference Wednesday at MetLife Stadium, that doesn’t mean that the foot or so of snow dumped on East Rutherford can’t serve as a training tool for the league, MetLife Stadium workers, and everyone who will be on call for the NFL championship game on Feb. 2.

“Everybody likes everything to be smooth — we’d love to have credible contingency plans that never get used,” Grubman said. “On the other hand, if you’re going to have a weather event, you have a dress rehearsal of this magnitude as something that really tests people. For that, yes there is a silver lining.

Full Coverage: Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium

“But I don’t wish this snowstorm on any business or any family or any part of this tri-state area,” Grubman said. “It’s difficult.”

Grubman said that a decision was made to treat Wednesday as a “dress rehearsal” for how to clean up after a major storm.

“We began at 7 a.m. this morning, and 18 hours was the allotted amount of time,” Grubman said. “We have people watching, evaluating, and grading. We’re treating this as if it’s pre-game, and we have to get the field cleared.”

That cleanup goal was for complete removal of all snow from the 82,000-seat bowl, all of the concourses, and the parking lots, Grubman said, adding that other scenarios would have the game played as scheduled — 6:25 p.m. kickoff — even with snow left in the stands or the lots.

Grubman said that if Tuesday’s weather occurred on the eve of the Super Bowl, he is “confident” that the game could have started on time. Asked if that sort of storm were to come on Super Bowl Sunday, Grubman said he “couldn’t go into hypotheticals,” adding league officials didn’t confer with public safety officers on whether this storm might have caused a postponement.

The press conference was called to publicize the league’s Warm Welcome Kits, a care package placed on each seat in the stadium along with items such as a hat and mittens.

“We’ve got about 80,000 people who are going to wear boots and a warm coat and they’re probably going to layer their clothes,” Grubman said. “But they might not think about a neck gaiter, hand warmers, lip balm — products like that.”

Asked if he had any advance knowledge of what the game-day weather conditions would be like on Super Bowl Sunday, Grubman replied, “Based on the long-range forecast, all that I would even hazard a guess is, it’s probably going to be cold. I doubt we’re going to have an unusual warm spell based on what we’re looking at.”

Grubman said there is a breed of fan that embraces the challenge.

“It’s a bragging right,” Grubman said. “I can’t tell you how many people over the years have told me that they were at the coldest game ever, or coldest playoff game ever, and at the greatest snowfall in a game.”

Under the stadium lease with the New York Giants and Jets, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority is only responsible for plowing the Izod Center parking lots across Route 120 from the stadium during the regular season, according to Authority President Wayne Hasenbalg. The NFL would be responsible for the cost of cleanup if it snows on Super Bowl weekend.

More than a dozen key personnel in Jersey City — site of Monday’s Super Bowl week kickoff fireworks show and host to the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks at city hotels all week — met on Tuesday to discuss a variety of potential weather-related issues including snowstorms on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Storm-related blackouts, high winds causing roofs to blow off, and potential evacuation of the team hotels were among the worst-case scenarios contemplated in the training exercise.

Email: brennan@northjersey.com Blog: northjersey.com/brennan Twitter: @BergenBrennan

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/Stor...anup_crew.html

Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Welcome to NJ. It's wintertime, bring a coat.

They should play at the scheduled time, come what may. If you pay the bucks for a ticket, you should have sense enough to understand what the weather possibilities could be.
Agree 100%. It's "Football Weather!"

Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 AM

RIGHT NOW 1237AM ITS 12 DEGREES IN NJ, IM ABOUT A MILE AWAY FROM THE STADIUM. THIS IS NOTHING NEW FOR JANUARY, THEY KNEW THIS WHEN THEY BOOKED THE PLACE. MOVING THE SUPER BOWL FROM SUNDAY IS LIKE CELEBRATING THE 4TH OF JULY IN JUNE BECAUSE ITS TOO HOT OUT! ITS JUST UNAMERICAN!
LIKE WE SAY IN JERSEY "FUG GET A BOUT IT"

Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Senior Chief

Unless there is a chance that the whole city will be immobilized 24- 48 hrs before the game there's not a chance that they will move it. They don't give a rats A-- about the fan watching the game in brutal weather. Happens all the time near the end of the season when they move games in the northeast from the afternoon to night for TV. The NFL is a prostitute for TV money.

The Following User Says Thank You to tigergto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm the first one to agree that they should never have given this venue a Super Bowl - because of the weather. Super Bowls should only be scheduled in warm weather cities or cities with climate controlled stadiums. The host city also needs to have proper hotel and dining facilities for the Super Bowl attendees.

I've played football in the snow. It sucks. It dumbs down the game. Fans may like watching guys slip and slide, but this is supposed to be a Championship game and it should be played on a Championship caliber surface.

That said, the game is going to be there. I give the NFL credit for at least looking into the possibilities of extreme weather.

But the current 10 day forecast is for temps in the mid 20's to the mid 30's with the possibility of some snow showers.

They won't change the date for that kind of weather.

But football games have been canceled or delayed by the weather in the past and will again in the future. The Green Bay Packers turned in their NFL franchise after canceling a pair of games due to rain back in the early days of the franchise. The team had rain insurance, but it didn't rain enough for the insurance to cover the claim.

Back in the day football seasons ended in November, not February.

More recently, the Eagle/Viking MNF game was postponed until Tuesday back in December of 2010 due to a blizzard. And just this past November the Bear/Raven game was suspended for about 2 hours because of severe weather.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It will be so much nicer watching it on tv!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
It will be so much nicer watching it on tv!
It will be even better watching it on the TV at the swim up bar at the hotel in Puerto Rico!

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Old 01-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
It will be even better watching it on the TV at the swim up bar at the hotel in Puerto Rico!
B****!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The only problem is you will be in Puerto Rico.

That's one island that I'm not going back to. Too many better options IMHO.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
B****!
Beat me to it! . Enjoy the fun and sun snow birds!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The only problem is you will be in Puerto Rico.
It's not a problem for me!

Quote:
That's one island that I'm not going back to. Too many better options IMHO
You mean like Minnesota?!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most anywhere in the Virgin Islands.
My coworkers father lives in PR. Says drugs and crimes have got'n really bad last 10 yrs.
Try'n to get him to move back to the States.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Doesn't everyone want to to travel to New Jersey in early February?
no No NO and again NO! I live about 4 miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridge and I don't want to go to anywhere up there around Giant Stadium.... no freekin way in hell do I want to go that far north in NJ. Well.... maybe across the bridge once in a while for cheaper gas. Now as for some car shows yes, but that's not traveling on the NJTP.

No offense to anyone living in NJ.... it's just that I hate the NJTP and that area around the stadium.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard on the news that to boost revenues they are funneling all of the surface traffic to one single exit and the toll will be $112 per axle.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm the first one to agree that they should never have given this venue a Super Bowl - because of the weather. Super Bowls should only be scheduled in warm weather cities or cities with climate controlled stadiums. The host city also needs to have proper hotel and dining facilities for the Super Bowl attendees.

I've played football in the snow. It sucks. It dumbs down the game. Fans may like watching guys slip and slide, but this is supposed to be a Championship game and it should be played on a Championship caliber surface.

That said, the game is going to be there. I give the NFL credit for at least looking into the possibilities of extreme weather.

But the current 10 day forecast is for temps in the mid 20's to the mid 30's with the possibility of some snow showers.

They won't change the date for that kind of weather.

But football games have been canceled or delayed by the weather in the past and will again in the future. The Green Bay Packers turned in their NFL franchise after canceling a pair of games due to rain back in the early days of the franchise. The team had rain insurance, but it didn't rain enough for the insurance to cover the claim.

Back in the day football seasons ended in November, not February.

More recently, the Eagle/Viking MNF game was postponed until Tuesday back in December of 2010 due to a blizzard. And just this past November the Bear/Raven game was suspended for about 2 hours because of severe weather.
i agree too! i have never understood why they will play football in the rain or the snow--its like having a nascar race in a thunderstorm--just doesnt work---like you said, i believe it should be played on a championship caliber playing atmosphere. in a southern state.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb Hey NFL - "Man Up Nancy!"

If kids can play the sport - Football - in the rain and snow so can the "Professionals" otherwise move the season to the summer to match baseballs schedule so no worries about "losing their balls" like would be the case w baseball's "white balls" in the snow.

As far as motor racing in a thunderstorm, well.. It can and is done by some, using "Rain Tires, etc." just like we drive on public roads

Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well id just like them to have the super bowl saturday night instead of sunday night, to give people time to recover and not have to get up monday for work..ugh...