THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default Truck oil filters, what’s going on?

I bought a new 1/2 ton pickup last spring and it’s now due for an oil change. I already have the oil so I went online and bought a Wix XP filter. When it arrived today I had to laugh, I was expecting a large, manly “truck sized” canister but this thing is rather dinky! I guess the new filter media technology doesn’t require a huge paper filter. Wix suggests that the filter is good for as many as 10,000 miles, but I think 5000 is more like it. Here’s a picture of it next to a Pontiac V8 filter. Filter fits a Nissan Titan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-20-2022, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the pf48e for my 6.0 2500hd is tiny, even smaller than that. but no problems using the olm.

Old 08-20-2022, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep... felt the same way the first time I bought a filter for my 5.3 GMC.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:14 AM

The newer engines have much higher quality and closer tolerance machining, better piston ring seal and fuel management. They don’t contaminate the oil like older engines so they don’t need a big oil filter.

I was shocked to see that the LS1 in my WS6 had a filter the size of a tea cup when I did that first oil change.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, cleaner burning engines, better machining, better sealed induction systems, better engine oils all contribute to longer engine life. Having a smaller oil filter, even with better filter media is still not as good as all the items mentioned above and a larger oil filter. So "not needing the large filter", becomes rather subjective. If you change your oil frequently and plan to keep the vehicle 130-150K miles I agree. If you keep your vehicles until the termites quit holding hands and the thing just falls into a pile of rust dust, then a better filtration system would be beneficial. Sirotica, has been explaining the advantages and benefits of a secondary, bypass type of oil filter for years on the message board. The only 2 down sides are initial cost and fitment on some vehicles. Other than that, your stuck with the tiny oil filters the factory provides. A primary reason for the tiny filters and the canister style filters that are popular again was to reduce the amount of used engine oil in land fills across the country.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My GMC doesn't seem to mind the smaller filter. Currently at 240k miles on the original engine, trans and rear axle.

Just keep up with basic maintenance and they'll keep running.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The LS1 in my 04 GTO has a tiny one, but LS trucks used a bigger one. The 6.2 gas LS in my 2015 Chevy truck is still smaller than the 97 350 Vortec truck I have. It is clicking on 350K mileage but has a 383 I'm finishing up for it.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-21-2022, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my 05 GTO, I have a bypass filter in addition to the factory one, as Mike says it's subjective whether you need more filter area. I know the oil has been in there for over 4 years, 35,000 miles, and is still clean. It is at 144,000 on the odometer, and runs the same as it did when I picked it up with 180 miles on it from the dealer. The engine will likely still be running perfectly, when I'm dust.

I just hauled the trailer with the mini sprint replica Go Kart, to, and from Norwalk last weekend with it. That was the first time I drove it since I mothballed it last fall. With the price on premium fuel as high as it's been this year, I usually drive the 3.1 Ex Mary Kay Grand Prix as a daily. It runs on 87, and fuel mileage is usually just under 30 MPG. I need to get a bypass filter on the GP too, because it's been getting the bulk of the miles on it with fuel as high priced as it is now. Still only driving Pontiacs as my only cars.

One of the reasons I prefer to run my oil so long is because the GTO has a skid plate under the oil sump, and lying on your back on a creeper it's a PITA to get to the filter, and drain the oil having to remove that skid plate first.......

On the GP I've been using the Purolator Boss filters until I get around to installing a by pass filter. The 3.1/3.4 engine family from 99 also have a tiny oil filter, the wife's Vibe with way over 300,000 miles (odometer on Vibes cannot exceed 299,999 miles) has stopped working about 5 years ago. The Vibe engine has an even smaller filter than the GP has, also use a Purolator Boss filter on it.

When I get time, I'll probably change the Vibe, and the GP over to by pass filters also. I need to buy a pancake oil filter adapter for each of them to simplify the plumbing for the filters.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated