Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's almost to quiet without Patrick............

6.98 @ 199mph
4.53 @ 164mph
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wreckmastr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm421 View Post
The fact is Mr. Leech is right about 90% of the time. The funny part is he kills you with your own ammo!!!
I try...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dda72 View Post
90% is understatement!
the wife might disagree...LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
LOL

JOHNTA1 JUST WENT THERMONUCLEAR!

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First question -- when you east coast biach'ssss going to form a wagon train and come out west to race????

Second question -- this is the racing section, what are you doing here Stan ?????

and dont pick on deer hunters -- theres nothing better, except maybe elk hunting.

And

BBTTFMF

( BIG BOOBIES TO THE FRONT MOTHER *******)

The Following User Says Thank You to cgeise For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
First question -- when you east coast biach'ssss going to form a wagon train and come out west to race????
I think someone told them they'd fall off of a cliff or something just west of Norwalk or something like that..........

I can't think of a reason NOT to take a old Pontiac to Vegas and run it out there......That's my kinda gambling if you ask me!................ So what if it's a .05 track. It's NICE!

Are you going to the spring fling out there Curt?

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
One things for sure, she's not getting any duct tape.
Silence is Golden.
Duct tape is Silver.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 AM
Senior Chief

Mike,

The thrill of going racing just to go racing has long lost it's luster for me. I was bracket racing back in the 70's when there were still five amber lights on the tree. LOL. Now, since we have gone heads-up racing, the only reason to take the car out to the track is to try to improve it's performance. Therefore, it was never my intention to bring the little motor with the CV-1 heads to Norwalk. There was some chatter about that possibility here on PY, but not from me. I made our plans clear that we would run our Gaby headed 511 at Norwalk, and if time permitted, we would try the little CV motor later in the fall. As events unfolded, none of the above happened.

My motivation for building the car was to do something that hadn't been done: Run 7's in a street legal Pontiac. We compete in a heads-up street legal class at BIR. Minimum weight is 3100 lbs. But there is NO limit on cubic inches. So we are most often up against cars with much larger engines. Even so, we are right in the thick of things. Our last race we attended in 2011, we were in the finals against a 632" nitrous Camaro. It was an awesome 7 second, side by side race ....... except for the fact that we lost by .04.

Like many here, I was drawn to Gaby by reputation. We met at Norwalk in 2011 and talked about stepping up our program (so I could beat that 632" Camaro). I sent him my junk in November 2011 and he came up with a plan that included additional head porting, new sheet metal intake, higher ratio rocker arms and Dale Cubic carburetors.

I told him I needed to have the motor on the dyno by March 2012 and in the car on the track by April 2012. He assured me that would be "no problem". I took him at his word - didn't call him, didn't email him, didn't bug him - shouldn't have to. However, March came and went without any word from Florida. So, first week in April I sent an email inquiring about my junk. That's when the dance began. There followed months of excuses, broken promises, apologies, "problem vendors", etc., etc. So I was sitting on my hands, expecting heads and intake to arrive "any day now", when in fact it was just a lie. The heads didn't arrive until late July. The intake didn't arrive until after Labor Day. So there went our 2012 season.

Now, I don't have a problem with sub-contracting work, provided there are adequate project management and quality controls in place, which there were NOT. Neither the heads or the intake were useable as delivered. The intake looked like a high school shop project gone wrong. I couldn't believe my eyes. I sent a detailed email with pictures of the multiple - and I do mean multiple - machining and fitment issues. I would be embarrassed to let a product out the door like that. Once again, he was very apologetic, took full responsibility and promised that if I sent them back, they would "drop everything" and turn them around for me. I believe he was embarrassed too, and I got the feeling that he had never actually laid eyes or hands on the heads or intake. Don't know - just speculating.

I sent them back in the beginning of October 2012. End of November, I got an email stating that the intake was fixed and they were starting on the heads. Fast forward to February 2013 - still no heads and intake. Apparently our definitions of "drop everything" are different. Somewhere in this time frame, I read on PY that wreckmastr had received his Gaby intake manifold and that it was a work of art, pretty enough to display on a coffee table. I about blew a gasket.

Sent an email inquiring about my junk. Was told everything was done (heard that one before) and they just had to cut the receiver grooves in the heads. I reminded him that those were o-ring grooves, not receiver grooves. He said they would need to get additional tooling to do o-ring grooves. I told him to just send them back as is. The heads came back in March 2013 with (you guessed it) receiver grooves cut in them. Then "they" took a hammer and center punch and pounded dimples around the insides and outsides of the receiver grooves, apparently trying to crush them tight enough to hold a stainless o-ring. I don't have to tell you how well that worked out. This is just one small example of the quality of work we received. I can't make this stuff up.

Without getting into more detail, there were still machine work issues, water issues and fitment issues. While tackling these one at a time, the weeks turned into months. Finally got it pieced together and to the dyno. This motor made 920 hp four years ago. The shortblock is unchanged - just freshened. With better heads, better intake, better carbs and higher ratio rockers, it should have picked up SOMETHING, but it was an absolute lazy pig. Our best pull was only 860 hp. In the end, we could only laugh, as it was a fitting finale to two years of frustration. I took it home, rolled it into a corner, threw a blanket over it and haven't touched it since.

So there went our 2013 season and why we didn't make Norwalk. Is it all Gaby's fault? No, but a certain percentage certainly falls his way. No one is infallible. We'll find the lost horsepower. What really pisses me off is that I can't get the last two years back. That is the worst part.

DF

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Badbird69 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Second question -- this is the racing section, what are you doing here Stan ?????

and dont pick on deer hunters -- theres nothing better, except maybe elk hunting.

And

BBTTFMF

ELKHUNTINGTTFMF!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird69 View Post
Mike,

The thrill of going racing just to go racing has long lost it's luster for me. I was bracket racing back in the 70's when there were still five amber lights on the tree. LOL. Now, since we have gone heads-up racing, the only reason to take the car out to the track is to try to improve it's performance. Therefore, it was never my intention to bring the little motor with the CV-1 heads to Norwalk. There was some chatter about that possibility here on PY, but not from me. I made our plans clear that we would run our Gaby headed 511 at Norwalk, and if time permitted, we would try the little CV motor later in the fall. As events unfolded, none of the above happened.

My motivation for building the car was to do something that hadn't been done: Run 7's in a street legal Pontiac. We compete in a heads-up street legal class at BIR. Minimum weight is 3100 lbs. But there is NO limit on cubic inches. So we are most often up against cars with much larger engines. Even so, we are right in the thick of things. Our last race we attended in 2011, we were in the finals against a 632" nitrous Camaro. It was an awesome 7 second, side by side race ....... except for the fact that we lost by .04.

Like many here, I was drawn to Gaby by reputation. We met at Norwalk in 2011 and talked about stepping up our program (so I could beat that 632" Camaro). I sent him my junk in November 2011 and he came up with a plan that included additional head porting, new sheet metal intake, higher ratio rocker arms and Dale Cubic carburetors.

I told him I needed to have the motor on the dyno by March 2012 and in the car on the track by April 2012. He assured me that would be "no problem". I took him at his word - didn't call him, didn't email him, didn't bug him - shouldn't have to. However, March came and went without any word from Florida. So, first week in April I sent an email inquiring about my junk. That's when the dance began. There followed months of excuses, broken promises, apologies, "problem vendors", etc., etc. So I was sitting on my hands, expecting heads and intake to arrive "any day now", when in fact it was just a lie. The heads didn't arrive until late July. The intake didn't arrive until after Labor Day. So there went our 2012 season.

Now, I don't have a problem with sub-contracting work, provided there are adequate project management and quality controls in place, which there were NOT. Neither the heads or the intake were useable as delivered. The intake looked like a high school shop project gone wrong. I couldn't believe my eyes. I sent a detailed email with pictures of the multiple - and I do mean multiple - machining and fitment issues. I would be embarrassed to let a product out the door like that. Once again, he was very apologetic, took full responsibility and promised that if I sent them back, they would "drop everything" and turn them around for me. I believe he was embarrassed too, and I got the feeling that he had never actually laid eyes or hands on the heads or intake. Don't know - just speculating.

I sent them back in the beginning of October 2012. End of November, I got an email stating that the intake was fixed and they were starting on the heads. Fast forward to February 2013 - still no heads and intake. Apparently our definitions of "drop everything" are different. Somewhere in this time frame, I read on PY that wreckmastr had received his Gaby intake manifold and that it was a work of art, pretty enough to display on a coffee table. I about blew a gasket.

Sent an email inquiring about my junk. Was told everything was done (heard that one before) and they just had to cut the receiver grooves in the heads. I reminded him that those were o-ring grooves, not receiver grooves. He said they would need to get additional tooling to do o-ring grooves. I told him to just send them back as is. The heads came back in March 2013 with (you guessed it) receiver grooves cut in them. Then "they" took a hammer and center punch and pounded dimples around the insides and outsides of the receiver grooves, apparently trying to crush them tight enough to hold a stainless o-ring. I don't have to tell you how well that worked out. This is just one small example of the quality of work we received. I can't make this stuff up.

Without getting into more detail, there were still machine work issues, water issues and fitment issues. While tackling these one at a time, the weeks turned into months. Finally got it pieced together and to the dyno. This motor made 920 hp four years ago. The shortblock is unchanged - just freshened. With better heads, better intake, better carbs and higher ratio rockers, it should have picked up SOMETHING, but it was an absolute lazy pig. Our best pull was only 860 hp. In the end, we could only laugh, as it was a fitting finale to two years of frustration. I took it home, rolled it into a corner, threw a blanket over it and haven't touched it since.

So there went our 2013 season and why we didn't make Norwalk. Is it all Gaby's fault? No, but a certain percentage certainly falls his way. No one is infallible. We'll find the lost horsepower. What really pisses me off is that I can't get the last two years back. That is the worst part.

DF
Wow... Hope to see your car back out soon ..Awesome car

Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mike,

DF
Man That really blows!! Sorry Dick
Just to add my Opinion ,people stick alot of MONEY into their cars these days and for anyone to bash another on their cars or what their building is just down right rude period!
Hope to see your car out this year, It truly is a work of art!

2017, 74 firebird -3600 lbs (all bests) 1.33 60 ft, 6.314@108.39 9.950@134.32
M/T 275/60 ET SS Drag Radial

2023,(Pontiac 505) 1.27 60 ft, 5.97@112.86, 9.48@139.31.... 275/60 Radial Pro's
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to grandville455 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick -

It is difficult to go through something like this and many times just as hard to write about it. I appreciate your candor and willingness to share this in an objective manner and simply stating the facts.

There are always two sides to any situation, but you have made your side clear. Short of the loss of time I hope, to some degree, this was or will be addressed to some level of satisfaction.

No person, business or industry is perfect, so things like this can happen even to the best customers and businesses, but it is still difficult to read and certainly endure.

Good luck and I sincerely wish you smoother sailing this year.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

DICK,
WELL...whewww...dam it.

I hope you get your program back on track soon. We are very similar in that this game for me is not about writing numbers on the windshield and letting off the throttle to win. Its a horsepower generation and in car application game for me.

I was the happiest guy to breakout in the Norwalk q16 last year, promise thats true.

Hopefully you can put this behind you and move on. All bitter divorces are difficult to process....just this one is unmet expectations on car parts instead of life partners. Don't know the other side or really want to hear it. Gabys been a good guy to me although not a customer of his, I'd sure think something very out of the ordinary happened here.

The sooner you let go of the bitterness the sooner YOU will be enjoying your hobby again.

So what are your predictions? What heads you gonna run? If and I say IF you run CVs and bust some azz....that'd be good for you and "COOL and the GANG"

Lets meet up at norwalk and have a cigar....I don't drink so you can have my beer for me

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.

Last edited by mike leech; 01-30-2014 at 10:01 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation sheite... predictions turn into predicaments

as we say here...the crawfish went into its hole.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

And

BBTTFMF

big boobies works. was thinking more like big bucks.....2013 was a good year!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

And

BBTTFMF

Excellent question.

This is the Race Section Under Pontiac Tech

When I first started posting here there was a good number of technical threads. But for the past few month there has been much less technical discussions and much more **** threads.

So I am in the process of reevaluating what if any value this section (Race) has.

Clearly the Street and Boost section still have a great variety in topics and discussion.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Excellent question.

When I first started posting here there was a good number of technical threads. But for the past few month there has been much less technical discussions and much more **** threads.

So I am in the process of reevaluating what if any value this section (Race) has.

Clearly the Street and Boost section still have a great variety in topics and discussion.
I agree fully.

This used to be a great section, but now it's the 'Clubhouse' worse than the 'Lobby' where most of these posts belong.

Where's the 'technical' or 'race' stuff is, I don't know.
And no EHTTFMF is not race or technical.

Also thought the name calling, back stabbing, etc was not allowed.

But I guess if your an ECM fan it is OK.

I really thought when you came on this board it would really help the racers out.
Along with some of the other people that have came along also like Chad S. and others it was starting to get good.

But if we wanted a 'YB' type board we could always go there.

That is the main reason I don't go there is too much blowing and posturing and no real substance.

Guess it's time to find something else also.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Excellent question.

Stan
Stan,

Relax I'm not about to slam you. By technical discussions do you mean theoretical discussions of hypothesis and Ideas?

Or more like discussions on various parts,methods, and procedures to advance a particular racer in need of help or possibly us all.

Or does it look more like a couple guys discussing their Ideas and theories completely unchecked. Those theories and hypothesis are the GOLDEN rule and whomever has the best IDEA wins regardless of facts or some racers experience IN THAT VERY AREA.

THERES A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE HERE IN THE RACE SECTION.

lots of us help each other out of problems and improve each others combos. Some are only here to gain or share knowledge....thats cool too. The problems start when there is no separation between IDEAS and EXPERIENCE. THEN BACK AND FORTH. 9 times out of 10 that back and forth is someone with actual experience and more usable data asking for the IDEA to be verified with some facts.......THE SHEIT HITS THE FAN WHEN THE DANCE STARTS. Somewhere in here we need to insert the cheerleaders of products and vendors because of philosophy or emotional attachment, or detachment. Saying the IA2 sucks and the MR1 is the BEST while owning neither is just RIDICULOUS! If you examined the 2 and have an opinion fine....state it as such and move on. Same for heads.....and before either side gets all excited.....BOTH sides are evaluating each others performance. Failing to recognize the performance or lack of on either side makes you an emotional weiner. LOVE your favorite football team...hate the other guys if you want. This math and physics not an allegiance sport.

Would make for more useful and enjoyable forum if the IDEA guys would just say " why no I don't have any proof to back that up......Do you have some particular experience or useful data that you can share?" Both sides can potentially learn something here. The Idea guys can contribute as well as I'm always interested in ways to make hp or go faster with what I have...and so are others.

I won't sit idle while theories are discussed as facts. If you even have a reasonable argument for you theory OK cool I'll listen. But If guys want to feel like a big shot and say things that may cause just one person to waste their hard earned money......there are going to be folks to set the record strait. Just how it is

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
I agree fully.

This used to be a great section, but now it's the 'Clubhouse' worse than the 'Lobby' where most of these posts belong.

Where's the 'technical' or 'race' stuff is, I don't know.
And no EHTTFMF is not race or technical.

Also thought the name calling, back stabbing, etc was not allowed.

But I guess if your an ECM fan it is OK.

I really thought when you came on this board it would really help the racers out.
Along with some of the other people that have came along also like Chad S. and others it was starting to get good.

But if we wanted a 'YB' type board we could always go there.

That is the main reason I don't go there is too much blowing and posturing and no real substance.

Guess it's time to find something else also.

JOHN,

Relax I'm not about to slam you. By technical discussions do you mean theoretical discussions of hypothesis and Ideas?

Or more like discussions on various parts,methods, and procedures to advance a particular racer in need of help or possibly us all.

Or does it look more like a couple guys discussing their Ideas and theories completely unchecked. Those theories and hypothesis are the GOLDEN rule and whomever has the best IDEA wins regardless of facts or some racers experience IN THAT VERY AREA.

THERES A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE HERE IN THE RACE SECTION.

lots of us help each other out of problems and improve each others combos. Some are only here to gain or share knowledge....thats cool too. The problems start when there is no separation between IDEAS and EXPERIENCE. THEN BACK AND FORTH. 9 times out of 10 that back and forth is someone with actual experience and more usable data asking for the IDEA to be verified with some facts.......THE SHEIT HITS THE FAN WHEN THE DANCE STARTS. Somewhere in here we need to insert the cheerleaders of products and vendors because of philosophy or emotional attachment, or detachment. Saying the IA2 sucks and the MR1 is the BEST while owning neither is just RIDICULOUS! If you examined the 2 and have an opinion fine....state it as such and move on. Same for heads.....and before either side gets all excited.....BOTH sides are evaluating each others performance. Failing to recognize the performance or lack of on either side makes you an emotional weiner. LOVE your favorite football team...hate the other guys if you want. This math and physics not an allegiance sport.

Would make for more useful and enjoyable forum if the IDEA guys would just say " why no I don't have any proof to back that up......Do you have some particular experience or useful data that you can share?" Both sides can potentially learn something here. The Idea guys can contribute as well as I'm always interested in ways to make hp or go faster with what I have...and so are others.

I won't sit idle while theories are discussed as facts. If you even have a reasonable argument for you theory OK cool I'll listen. But If guys want to feel like a big shot and say things that may cause just one person to waste their hard earned money......there are going to be folks to set the record strait. Just how it is

Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ECMTTFMF

6.98 @ 199mph
4.53 @ 164mph
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wreckmastr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Stan, its called "Cabin fever" and has happened every winter since PY went online. (And isn't limited to PY by any means)

As we get closer to spring people start to reveal what their winter projects were and improvements that were made.

This is a member driven board, if the members want more tech then ask more questions. There are tech questions being posted, but most members are snowed out of their garage.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

This motor made 920 hp four years ago. The shortblock is unchanged - just freshened. With better heads, better intake, better carbs and higher ratio rockers, it should have picked up SOMETHING, but it was an absolute lazy pig. Our best pull was only 860 hp. In the end, we could only laugh, as it was a fitting finale to two years of frustration. I took it home, rolled it into a corner, threw a blanket over it and haven't touched it since.

DF
Was the 920 with eheads and 860 w cv heads or both w cv heads. Not starting **** just asking for clarification.