Old 06-24-2023, 08:46 AM

Default Dash Repair

Found a really nice dash on Facebook Market Place but the radio area has been cutout for a modern stereo. Just wondering if anyone has fixed something like that or has seen some kind of repair kit?

Thanks,
Todd

Old 06-24-2023, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i repaired my 78 t/a radio opening that was cut, i used some donor pieces that were cut from a cracked up dash, made a template out of thin sheet metal & jb welded the original pieces & template in place... worked great & is very solid still after 12+ years.

i did a tutorial of how to do it & posted on 78ta.com & TAC at the time... might still be out there if you search for it. if you decide to do it that way i have some more original pieces i cut from dashes. havent seen any kits to repair this but havent looked in many years.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

There's a company called, Just Dashes. Jay Leno devoted one of his shows to a tour of their company. They are in Van Nuys, California.
IF they can fix it, I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, BUT their work is worth every penny. There is nothing cut rate about their work!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-24-2023, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just Dashes renovates dash pads, but I think the OP is talking about the dash bezel.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Senior Chief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-25-2023, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

shipping a dash to/from just dashes to just repair the radio opening (if they do that single service) would be rather expensive, $300+ just to ship both ways without the cost of the box or packing materials.

sure would be a lot cheaper/easier to just repair the radio opening how i did it, works great & only costs a few bucks for the jb weld & a little time/effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Just Dashes renovates dash pads, but I think the OP is talking about the dash bezel.
Radio area in the dash bezel?

Old 06-27-2023, 06:48 AM

Default Dash Repair

Thanks, for the feed back,

I found a really nice early dash on Facebook Market Place for $500. The only damage was someone cut out the radio area for a pullout stereo, a pretty common thing and I would like to use the original radio.
The only reason I considered buying it is because of the high cost of a restoration, shipping and how long it takes. I was hoping that someone made a repair kit.
I was thinking of the same repair that member 78w72 made. JB weld metal from the backside and glue in new plastic.
My son is going to 3D print the new plastic and the radio bezel should hide any repair.

Todd

The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Mullin For This Useful Post: