Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-31-2003, 12:30 PM

Well the problem with the TA turns out not to be girlfriend related but brake related.
After swapping in ANOTHER tranny thursday night, we timed and tuned the car a little Friday morning and headed for the track.
Windy but PERFECT weather for good ets.
Off the trailer the car went fine better than ever!
Next pass car started slowing down and smoke came from rear-end - looked under the car and the rear rotors were GLOWING red!
Tried the car twice more after cleaning brakes, adding fluid, bleeding brakes and adjusting proportioning valve - NO LUCK still dragging!
Steve Coombes and Darrin tried to help but must not have been a trackside fixable!
Anyone ever seen the brakes stick like this and any fixes?
I am guessing the rear right caliper was sticking but I would have thought the car would have pulled to one side but with a spool maybe not?
I know the rear brakes must get GOD AWFUL hot during a burnout - but then I have always done burnouts and this problem is new. So I can't imagine it is boiling the brake fluid now and not before unless brake fluid boils easier when old??
And if it boils the fluid does it create pressure on the entire system?
The front brakes were dragging a little - nothing compared to the rear but were slightly applied??
Anyway if anyone has a thought please let me know.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:30 PM

Well the problem with the TA turns out not to be girlfriend related but brake related.
After swapping in ANOTHER tranny thursday night, we timed and tuned the car a little Friday morning and headed for the track.
Windy but PERFECT weather for good ets.
Off the trailer the car went fine better than ever!
Next pass car started slowing down and smoke came from rear-end - looked under the car and the rear rotors were GLOWING red!
Tried the car twice more after cleaning brakes, adding fluid, bleeding brakes and adjusting proportioning valve - NO LUCK still dragging!
Steve Coombes and Darrin tried to help but must not have been a trackside fixable!
Anyone ever seen the brakes stick like this and any fixes?
I am guessing the rear right caliper was sticking but I would have thought the car would have pulled to one side but with a spool maybe not?
I know the rear brakes must get GOD AWFUL hot during a burnout - but then I have always done burnouts and this problem is new. So I can't imagine it is boiling the brake fluid now and not before unless brake fluid boils easier when old??
And if it boils the fluid does it create pressure on the entire system?
The front brakes were dragging a little - nothing compared to the rear but were slightly applied??
Anyway if anyone has a thought please let me know.

Old 03-31-2003, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would it be possible that the plunger rod for the brakes is a wee bit too long. This would prevent the brakes from releasing all the way. Adjusting the porportion valve in this circumstance would just move the problem from front to back. Just a thought. Still messing with my brakes. Alan

Old 03-31-2003, 01:15 PM

From your description can we assume that you have front AND rear discs? Steve Coombes post says your front brakes locked up, your post says rears.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. The front left caliper locked up with little or no warning. Bled the system, checked the proportioning valve, everything was fine. But it locked up again after driving it for a few blocks. Turns out that the inner wall of the flexible brake line to the caliper had detached and was acting like a check valve to keep pressure on the caliper. The line looked fine from the outside. A new flexible line solved the problem completely.

-Phil
'70 Firebird 400

Old 03-31-2003, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What Phil said. I had a similar problem with my Chevy truck. Right front brake kept dragging. I replaced everything but the line. Same problem. I replaced the line and it was fine.

Old 03-31-2003, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for any confusion, I was not aware Dave had rear brake problems as well. I left his pit right after learning about the front brake problem.

'Damn right it's a street car'

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 03-31-2003, 02:19 PM

isolated the rear brakes so they don't work and see if the problem still occurs. i'll bet the rubber line is bad.
mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old fluid can cause a problem like this. Brake fluid draws water, the older it is the more water can be in it. When the fluid heats up the water expands more than the fluid would and this applies the brakes. I have had this happen to me on the fronts before and they would really drag the car down. All of the other items mentioned above could also do it. I would check all lines and change all the fluid. Good Luck!

Later, Murf

Old 03-31-2003, 04:12 PM
Senior Chief

More times than not it is either the rubber line, playing check valve, or a caliper sticking due to being over heated! Usually ends up being the rubber hose!!! Can cause a serious pull in the front but would not see it as much in the rear!

Old 03-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yea, I've seen those rubber lines colapse inside and cause weird problems.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 03-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always wondered how water gets into the system. It's a closed system. There's no air so condensation is out. What gives? ... Eric.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brake fluid absords moisture. That's 1 of the advantages of going to DOT 5. Silicon brake fluid does not absorb water. and if u happen to get some on your paint it does take it off

Old 04-01-2003, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the help! I am going to replace the lines first. But I have another question I have posted under 80 Brake Parts Where?
Thanks Again