Old 07-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm replacing the lost air cleaner assembly on my 455HO w/o ram air. Been successfull at finding most everything needed. The replacement came with a chrome lid but input i've gotten from many says in 1971 they came black across the board, to tone down the car further. For coorectness do I need to sandblast and paint the lid black?

Also valve covers; the correct Pontiac blue for that year? no chrome?

OPH fill me in!

Greatly appreciate the input, this board has been a big saver when I need it!

Old 07-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm replacing the lost air cleaner assembly on my 455HO w/o ram air. Been successfull at finding most everything needed. The replacement came with a chrome lid but input i've gotten from many says in 1971 they came black across the board, to tone down the car further. For coorectness do I need to sandblast and paint the lid black?

Also valve covers; the correct Pontiac blue for that year? no chrome?

OPH fill me in!

Greatly appreciate the input, this board has been a big saver when I need it!

Old 07-15-2002, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All paint, no chrome. I think it is the light bright blue. I would go to a swap meet with the chrome lid and see if you can swap it for a painted lid. I got the entire (non RA) for mine for about $75.00 You should be able to do a swap. OPH may have someone who wants one.

Old 07-17-2002, 12:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the info. I read in books that the idea in 71 was to reduce the "flash" in the cars like this because of public and government scrutiny. I think the correct thing to do is go painted.

Tell me more about the valve covers for my application, no chrome..........

Old 07-17-2002, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In 1971 GM across the board lowered compression, hp, torque and in the case of Pontiac, painted everything. There was no chrome under the hood. I always have trouble with the correct color so I will defer to OPH or someone else. It was 1971 and I don't remember the color. 31 years do a lot to you but I thought it was light bright blue. I'm sure if I am wrong SOMEONE will correct me. I would try to get an assembly manual for your car if possible. However, not all the assembly manuals are correct or followed. My car was supposed to have the 455HO emblems up by the side marker lites. Dan Jensen's has his on the front fender behind the wheel well near the Pontiac & T-37 emblems. Mine came through with no stickers at all. Nothing. PS. It was great.