67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:57 AM

Default '69 center drag link

I need a center link for a 69 bird, I saw a couple of old 3+ yr posts, any updates on the best place to purchase from? Is there an issue with the 6 cyl units from Ames or on ebay? Car will be an LS car (I have two other poncho birds so don't judge.... )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	390028  

Old 02-12-2015, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why is this part so hard to find? I don't get it. I have an nos one and everybody tells me don't ever sell it. Why hasn't anyone reproduced it yet. Why is it different than a camaro. Just try to educate myself.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 AM

I understand it is a one year only item, and the 6 cyl one is a bit smaller in diameter and slightly different in shape. I never realized until this car this was such a pricey / hard to find item, after buying my first 69 bird 30 years ago....

Old 02-12-2015, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the problem is this, bird draglink has a stud end at the pitman arm end, and the pitman arm has a matching hole, a camaro uses a pitman arm w a stud in it and a draglink w a hole, i dont know how a 69 6cyl bird is set up, but i would bet its camaro, because, pontiac uses a curved pitman arm on v8 69s, to clear the drivers exhaust, now knowing that, you can put all camaro pitman and draglink and idler arm on your bird, when turning to the left you will loose a small bit of turning radius, is that as big a deal to you as not being able to finish your car and drive it all? to me no biggie

Old 02-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can one send the original '69 Firebird V8 centerlink to Rare Parts and have it rebuilt? Know I did that on a '68 Bird curved pitman arm.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:26 PM

I talked to Ames, they tell me they have the 6 cylinder units, they sell a lot of them, mostly to guys with V8s, and have no reported issue / they know of no interference issues. Price is 150, any further comments / insights before I pull the trigger?

Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 AM

I'm in the same boat.

What about converting the whole steering setup to a 67-68 firebird? I haven't heard if that might work.

I did find a new centerlink for 1969 V8 firebirds... it was about $350. If you want I can try to track it down again.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have one that I would part with....it looks new! It came on a 69 firebird project car with a 455 and 4 spd that I am converting to an LS. What is it worth?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 conv goat View Post
I talked to Ames, they tell me they have the 6 cylinder units, they sell a lot of them, mostly to guys with V8s, and have no reported issue / they know of no interference issues. Price is 150, any further comments / insights before I pull the trigger?
I have one in my 69 Bird with manual steering and a Canton oil pan. Fits fine with plenty of clearance. It would take a sharp eye for someone to tell the difference between the 6 cyl and the v8 piece once installed.