Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Come on spring!
I hear you, Im in MN and we keep getting hit with more snow.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM

russ I went to a shop in Ravenna where a guy builds cars from scratch.. he will cut mikes mustang rear end shorter for him for $125 but mike will have to buy axles. he said to only use moser axles. but for mike to get wheels and tires and then measure the width to decide the amount to narrow, makes sense .. he has a 1964 dodge polara with a 427 max wedge he is building and a kit cobra on a lift that he fabbed the complete frame and control arms.. he also builds engines ...there is a lot of guys who meet there every 2 weeks to bs about there cars.. some time when iam going again you will have to come up to see his shop... mike and I got his body back off the frame today and on a cradle I built of wood.. that darn mike lifted the back by his self ..I wanted to get another engine hoist but he would not let me.. so I guess our next step is to start cutting the back off the frame to put new rails on moved in to be able to tub it... how have you been ???

Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

been ok. well, so-so anyway.
Keep hoping spring finally gets here.
Been playing my bass more than anything lately. hoping this weekend is decent enough to get out and do some stuff in the garage. I really need to start putting some parts back together just to get the garage cleaned up some.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default anybody want a project car?

Ok, just kidding. I just haven't been feeling like working on anything but my bass playing lately. I can do that sitting on my bed.
I am actually planning on buying a new to me bass this weekend. Not sure what yet, going shopping Saturday. My current Ibanez bass has a warped neck and that is messing me up, and I don't need extra help to mess up. Taking lessons again, decided that at 53 I need to either give it one last good effort or just give up. Wouldn't mind getting another Ibanez, I like how they feel in my hands. Just depends on what I find. Might be another brand that feels better.

Maybe this weekend I will get out to the garage. Depends on work, we've been on mandatory 6 days a week overtime lately and that is wearing me out. Then again breathing seems to be exhausting me lately.

Russ

Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 PM

russ any update. have not heard from you in a while?? mike and I have been busy fabbing his frame.roush racing screwed him with sending the wrong rear end, he ordered a 3.73 and they sent a 3.31

Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bummer about the rear end, are they going to make it right?

I haven't been doing anything except feeling guilty. I haven't even stepped foot in the garage in a couple of months. I have lost all the drive I had for working on this thing.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thats too bad Russ. I've been looking forward to seeing more progress on your build.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM

russ have you talked to mike lately?? rouse sent him a refund for about 1/2 the price of the rear end, he has bought a 4.10 along with a install kit so we will have to change it, they claim they cannot get a 3.73 or 4.10 ... sounds fishy to me..what have you been doing???

Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No, haven't talked to Mike. At least they did something.
I've been fighting depression for the most part. Not getting anything productive done at home. Waiting on word about a promotion that would get me back onto day shift. Odds are not good though. For some reason working nights has really gotten to me lately. I get home, eat a little, maybe play bass for half an hour on a good night, and go to bed.

The Following User Says Thank You to russosborne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, thought it was time for an update of sorts. Sort of a ramble, sorry.
Not that I have done anything.

I am on a new antidepressant as of today, supposed to give me more energy. Hoping it does. Was off the other two for the last month, doctor wanted to see if I felt better. Nope, gradually getting worse.

Didn't get that other job. Darn it.

Kind of wanting to go to Norwalk this Saturday thinking it might make me want to get back to work on the car. I have only been in the garage once the past couple of months, and that was to get a pair of pliers. Need to clean it out before I can really do anything with the car.
Speaking of which, I think I need to just scrap my Explorer that I started doing the suspension on. Having two project cars is a bit overwhelming any more. Worried about the engine also after reading here about how the gas with ethanol gums up everything after sitting a while, and this has not been started in almost a year. Need to charge up the battery and try to start it and see what happens I guess.

I have lost my self confidence when it comes to the car stuff it seems. I feel like a doctor who started surgery and somehow lost his knowledge in the middle of it. Maybe the new med will help that. Or else I will have a big garage sale later this year.

Russ

Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Senior Chief

Good to hear from you Russ. I hope you get back at it soon. As for your confidence, I feel lost all the time working on my Lemans. I dont even know how I got this far, but I'm having fun doing it .

Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 PM

russ , mike and I went to Norwalk today.. I did not realize that many Pontiacs was still on the road, its a pretty good drive but you should go. it will recharge your battery.. good luck

Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully you will be working on this car again soon. You were making some good progress on it.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi again all.
Been LONG time.
No, I haven't done anything with or to the car. Yet.
We are moving back to Phoenix, hopefully before this summer. So the car needs to go away. I will be posting it for sale soon here in the for sale forum.

Mike/Chuck, I still have your air compressor and the spring compressor. Need to see about getting them back to you asap. Problem is that the air compressor is a little buried at the moment. You guys more than anyone else have helped me alot, and if you are interested I will give you a killer deal on the car and all the parts. If I have to I will scrap it. No choice really anymore. If it rolled I might think about taking it with me, but I don't have it in me to work on it anymore. Physically I am close to a wreck.

Anyone else who has read these posts thanks. It has been a blast for the most part.

Russ

Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry to hear this, Russ. I liked reading your build thread. Maybe you can find yourself a new project down the road. Take it easy.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefan71 View Post
Sorry to hear this, Russ. I liked reading your build thread. Maybe you can find yourself a new project down the road. Take it easy.
Ditto that!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, I wish I could keep this car. Killing me to do this, but it would have to be a roller to get it to Phoenix on a trailer and I just don't have it in me to do that. My brother is actually paying for the move and he offered to bring the Lemans, but it just isn't going to happen. Maybe if I had gotten off of my ass last summer and put the rear end on and got the body back on the frame, but I didn't. I actually was thinking of asking for help to do it, but it isn't realistic. Middle of a lousy cold winter, I could barely offer pizza and soda, the garage door is off the stupid garage, etc. This will probably be the last project car I have, even though the job market is much better in Phoenix, our housing costs will double right off the bat, so will utilities. And I won't be getting that much more money there. But right now at least I am ok with this. But I know there will be times when I will want to go out and work on a car for fun. I have started building model kits again, I am hoping that fills the need. I even have a 70 GTO kit to do. :-) Thinking about making that kit into what the Lemans was going to be.

Other stuff.

I got laid off from Bird Technologies in Sep. Didn't get another job until 4 weeks ago, and the new job to me is like being a Ferrari mechanic who has to work on lawn mowers. Needs none of the skill set and experience I have. Boring as all hell. I haven't even been doing electronic tech work this whole week, due to lack of parts I have been assembling boards, not testing them. Yuck! The whole job thing is one of the reasons I am moving back to Phoenix. Much better jobs out there. I've also had a lot of stuff going on mentally, and it hit the all time bottom Tuesday. Hadn't had a drink in 24 years until then. Plus I tried mixing alcohol and pills. After thinking about things Wed. I realised I really needed to be back home with friends and family for support. My wife and I, (and the last year and a half her mom) have been living on an island here with no friends or family to call on for help, or even to just go hang out with. I finally realised that was the biggest issue for me. My brother had asked if there was anything he could do to help, and I asked him to get us back to Phoenix, and he said no problem. As soon as the house is out of my hair we will be heading home.

Russ

Old 02-14-2014, 12:47 AM

Hey Russ, eh I hear you.

I just bought a house and busy with it.

I can stop out and grab the compressor, I am near Youngstown a bit, and I need to make run to my storage unit.

I need to shut that down.

I wish I could take the car I don't have room right now... Put it on craigslist I guess?

Anyways PM your phone, unless it is still working.

Hey Phoenix is warm at least, this year has sucked

Old 02-14-2014, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up

Russ

Sounds like you're doing the right thing going back to 'home'. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Senior Chief

Russ, sorry to hear about your trials these past few months. I feel awful I was not closer, I would have been over to help! I sometimes think our expectations vs. the reality get out of whack. I know, I get discouraged too. You need your friends around to keep you motivated, and going. Glad you are heading back to AZ. Having your brother will hopefully, raise your spirits and give you someone to talk to.

We have had some drama too. I lost my job in October 2013. However, a door closing often means another one is opening. I got a new job, and a new city/country! Living in Michigan now, and working in automotive now! It has been difficult, and challenging - but things are turning around.

Keep your chin up, keep smiling -and where you can remember changes in mood and negative thoughts always pass.

Be well, my friend!
Brian.