Old 12-09-2023, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Source for Vented Gas Cap?

I just installed a new tank in my '68 Lemans; it's the Spectra Premium style for a '69. I put a rubber cap on the vent tube so I need to run a vented cap, but I'm having difficulty finding one that will fit.

Apparently, there are two different types of cap, one shallow (pictured on the right) and one deep (on the left).

I have a deep non-vented cap, but the vented cap that I ordered from Inline Tube is shallow, and it won't work, even with the gasket removed.

Anyone know where I can find a deep style vented cap?

Thanks,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	624713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	624714  

Old 12-09-2023, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott,remember a vented cap allows air in,NOT out!I had a issue in a non vented tank when the air expanded in the tank and push gas past the needle and seat in my holley and filled a couple cyclinders.Was lucky that the engine locked up and did not fire.Pulled the plugs and it shot gas everywhere.I run that vented cap when driving the car but replace it with one I drilled a small hole in when garaged.My garage faces west and gets very hot in the summer.Someday I will brake down and get a new tank and put a vent in the filler neck.Its a 69 Bird.FWIW,Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2023, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Scott,remember a vented cap allows air in,NOT out!I had a issue in a non vented tank when the air expanded in the tank and push gas past the needle and seat in my holley and filled a couple cyclinders.Was lucky that the engine locked up and did not fire.Pulled the plugs and it shot gas everywhere.I run that vented cap when driving the car but replace it with one I drilled a small hole in when garaged.My garage faces west and gets very hot in the summer.Someday I will brake down and get a new tank and put a vent in the filler neck.Its a 69 Bird.FWIW,Tom
Thanks for the info, Tom.

What would be the problem with me just drilling a small hole in my non-vented cap and calling it good?

Scott

Old 12-09-2023, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a bodies have a vented tank.Tom

Old 12-09-2023, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ended up finding/buying a couple of NOS vented caps. I found the repop stuff to not work well at all. I can't help but wonder if EPA regulations now keep them from making a new cap properly. Just speculation, but on cars I have a non vented tank on, like my 69Z for example, repop vented caps would not work. Bought an NOS cap and it's been perfect for years. Most likely exact same setup as Tom's 69 Firebird.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

Stant and Moto-Rad Part#10646 will fit and it's vented. Just went through this on my '69. OEM replacements won't fit the Spectra neck.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
Stant and Moto-Rad Part#10646 will fit and it's vented. Just went through this on my '69. OEM replacements won't fit the Spectra neck.
Excellent! Thanks for that info!

EDIT - doesn’t look like it will work; I need the deep locking tabs and this one apparently has the shallow ones.

Thank

Last edited by bulletpruf; 12-11-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Thanks for the info, Tom.

What would be the problem with me just drilling a small hole in my non-vented cap and calling it good?

Scott
My original 1970 Esprit had a rear clip put on it after I took down a telephone pole in Flint, MI from a 1971 model. The fuel tank in the 71 had the expansion tower that rose up behind the rear seat. I had trouble with fuel delivery all the time with it until I drilled a 1/16" hole in the gas cap. Never had any problems after that. Drove it that way for 25 years.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Excellent! Thanks for that info!

EDIT - doesn’t look like it will work; I need the deep locking tabs and this one apparently has the shallow ones.

Thank
I bought 5 different caps last summer including the deep one you describe. None fit the Spectra tank. The deep one wouldn't fit in the hole. I contacted Spectra and they gave me that number for their 1969 GM tanks.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The factory put a separate vent on those A-body tanks for a reason: the filler is so low that under hard acceleration, fuel will come out if the cap were vented. Firebird/Camaros get away with a vented cap as they're mounted higher up.

What was your reason for plugging the factory vent provision?

The Following User Says Thank You to hgerhardt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 69 bird repo tank leaks gas with the vented cap and gush’s out with the one with the hole in it.Tom

Old 12-12-2023, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
The factory put a separate vent on those A-body tanks for a reason: the filler is so low that under hard acceleration, fuel will come out if the cap were vented. Firebird/Camaros get away with a vented cap as they're mounted higher up.

What was your reason for plugging the factory vent provision?
I was looking for a simple solution - no vent and just running a vented cap instead. I just didn't realize that finding the correct vented cap would be somewhat involved.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2023, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
I bought 5 different caps last summer including the deep one you describe. None fit the Spectra tank. The deep one wouldn't fit in the hole. I contacted Spectra and they gave me that number for their 1969 GM tanks.
Ok, I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I don't mind having another spare.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2023, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
My 69 bird repo tank leaks gas with the vented cap and gush’s out with the one with the hole in it.Tom
Yup even the NOS vented cap I run on the Z will leak a little gas if I fill it completely up and then park on an incline. It'll slowly dribble. But I mean I have to fill it up to the neck. When the car is level it's fine. Pop the clutch it might dribble some, but drive 20 miles and the level is already down enough it doesn't matter. Not a big deal and common fair, based off how all the other classic cars here act similar.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 12-13-2023, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

drilled the tiny hole. done.