Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Supposed to be auctioned at/near 5:20 pm.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck with the sale, but I have to ask after watching all the effort and parts scrounging that went into this car if you will have even driven it prior to the sale? It seems that a labor of love has been reduced to a time slot and financial equation.

Again, good luck with the sale. I appreciate your service to the Country.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Good luck with the sale, but I have to ask after watching all the effort and parts scrounging that went into this car if you will have even driven it prior to the sale? It seems that a labor of love has been reduced to a time slot and financial equation.

Again, good luck with the sale. I appreciate your service to the Country.
BWB,

You are correct; I have not driven the car. Have not even seen it in person since it's been done. Does that bug me? Yep. Keep me awake at night? Nope.

I may be in tne minority here, but for me, the build is not a means to an end; it's an end in itself. In addition, I would be nervous about driving (and beating on) a car this nice. Last but not least, unlike my other cars, I didn't build much if anything -- engine, trans, rear diff etc, all outsourced. Not as much of an attachment for me if I don't have some blood, sweat and tears invested.

Having said all that, if it doesn't sell I will certainly put some miles on it.

Scott

Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like a lot of us, this quote may apply - "he loves the chase and is bored with the conquest".

The nice thing about a build like that - there are a lot more chases for small or rare parts, doing research on the car's history, prior owners, etc.. Once it's done, and more especially done to that level, what's left to do? When done that nicely, you can't drive them - if you do you end up spending 10 times the drive time re-detailing the car.

I'm sure there's another one out there with your name on it Scott - there always will be.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was lucky enough to see the car for a week parked side by side in July.

Fresh from Darrel's place, and off the trailer into arena. He did a fantastic job chasing those correct parts with Scott too.

The best part was getting to view all the high levels of restorations in one place.

Best restored or Best of show came down to the parts chased. High honors to win best restored at that show!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"he loves the chase and is bored with the conquest"

That's just about the story of my classic car interests in one sentence. Although I'm over building them, I've working hundred's of hours working on all the details of a car only to get bored with it and ready for the next project.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember the cheerleader I dated in High School who's make up I didn't want to muss and who's pleated skirt I was afraid to wrinkle...wait a minute, actually I don't remember that.

The chase is fun, but the conquest consumates the deal.

Regardless, I know how much time, effort and love you put into this chase and I really hope you do great with the sale and plow it back into a car on which you get a chance to muss it up, smear the makeup and wrinkle the seatcovers. JMO.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It reads to me, as though some of you guys have gotten to a point/phase in your hobby that you've come to miss what it's all about;
Enjoying a real detroit built car from the heyday of the horsepower wars...
Unrefined, unappoligetic, but not able to be duplicated with all the technology, bells and whistles of todays cars.

I will have a moment of silence for you.

lol
I definately get the chase bit, but hope that I don't ever get to the point where it reads as though some of you are.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I remember the cheerleader I dated in High School who's make up I didn't want to muss and who's pleated skirt I was afraid to wrinkle...wait a minute, actually I don't remember that.

Regardless, I know how much time, effort and love you put into this chase and I really hope you do great with the sale and plow it back into a car on which you get a chance to muss it up, smear the makeup and wrinkle the seatcovers. JMO.
Where's that 'like' button when you need it?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Like a lot of us, this quote may apply - "he loves the chase and is bored with the conquest".
Jackie Kennedy was quoted as having said that about JFK. Just saw it mentioned not long ago...funny to see it pop up again in this context.

BJ

Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Jackie Kennedy was quoted as having said that about JFK. Just saw it mentioned not long ago...funny to see it pop up again in this context. BJ
Heard recent released recording of Jackie saying that exactly on the news yesterday...

BTT: Will be interesting to see Comparo of bidding on the Black '70 RAIV Auto GTO FS @ same show.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Jackie Kennedy was quoted as having said that about JFK. Just saw it mentioned not long ago...funny to see it pop up again in this context.

BJ
That's the source & lets face it cars are like women - I once said to one of our members who was freshly served with divorce papers that women, like cars come & go, but you always remember the wild ones.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

The nice thing about a build like that - there are a lot more chases for small or rare parts, doing research on the car's history, prior owners, etc.. Once it's done, and more especially done to that level, what's left to do? When done that nicely, you can't drive them - if you do you end up spending 10 times the drive time re-detailing the car.

I'm sure there's another one out there with your name on it Scott - there always will be.
Agreed on the chase and conquest. Definitely applicable here.

Scott

Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
I was lucky enough to see the car for a week parked side by side in July.

Fresh from Darrel's place, and off the trailer into arena. He did a fantastic job chasing those correct parts with Scott too.

The best part was getting to view all the high levels of restorations in one place.

Best restored or Best of show came down to the parts chased. High honors to win best restored at that show!
Good points. If there's a labor of love here, it was more Darrell than me.

Agree on the parts chasing but the details also make the difference. Darrell is a perfectionist and it shows. What also blows me away is the body and paint - perfect gaps, laser straight and slick.

Scott

Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
"he loves the chase and is bored with the conquest"

That's just about the story of my classic car interests in one sentence. Although I'm over building them, I've working hundred's of hours working on all the details of a car only to get bored with it and ready for the next project.
I've got one car that's 95% done (66 Fairlane GT vert with 428/4sp) that is a keeper. At least I think it is. Hope I don't lose interest in it once it is finished and sorted out.

Scott

Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Yeah, this one got out of control. Don't think I'll do another "too nice to drive" car again.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
It reads to me, as though some of you guys have gotten to a point/phase in your hobby that you've come to miss what it's all about;
Enjoying a real detroit built car from the heyday of the horsepower wars...
Unrefined, unappoligetic, but not able to be duplicated with all the technology, bells and whistles of todays cars.

I will have a moment of silence for you.

lol
I definately get the chase bit, but hope that I don't ever get to the point where it reads as though some of you are.
New cars don't have a soul; that's what I love about the old ones.

I certainly enjoy driving my cars but its a lot more enjoyable to drive something that I built. Case in point - I bought a 68 Hemi Roadrunner (original 383 car with built pump gas 2x4 hemi) in 2009 or so. Done car, gorgeous. Very rarely left the garage; had a lot more fun driving my beater 69 Judge that I pulled out of a barn and got back on the road.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Heard recent released recording of Jackie saying that exactly on the news yesterday...

BTT: Will be interesting to see Comparo of bidding on the Black '70 RAIV Auto GTO FS @ same show.
Haven't seen the black car in person but don't believe it's of the same caliber as mine. Will be interesting to see what it brings; has a great color combo and its a numbers car.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Best of luck today Scott!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's the source & lets face it cars are like women - I once said to one of our members who was freshly served with divorce papers that women, like cars come & go, but you always remember the wild ones.
You speak the truth! However, it's a lot easier to keep a half dozen muscle cars in the garage. Try that with half a dozen lady friends!