Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 PM

Default Turbo 400 Tech Question

Loaned out my 70 Pontiac service manual just a couple weeks ago, and it has been nearly 10 yrs since I turned wrenches, let alone work over a turbo 400. Need some advice.

Finished my 70 GTO last year and it runs good but it is lacking. 350hp 400 built to factory spec but .030 over. Factory turbo 400, 323 gear.

Pulls hard but doesn't downshift where it needs to.

My factory "kickdown switch" was loose so I picked up a new GM unit to start fresh with. Installed it and it worked well. 2-1 downshift at WOT 28 mph max, 3-2 downshift at 50mph. I wanted to bump it up so I did the ol 3/8 fuel line on the post and it up'd the max MPH to 35 and 58mph. I can live with that as it makes a lot of difference. Wish it was 40 and 65 but it is not a street racer, just damn nice car that I like to cruise in.

It wants to bog down but with the 3/8 fuel line on the post, it is fairly impressive. I rigged up a push button switch tonight and all seems well.

Is there anything between the switch and the trans like temp sender, distributor switch etc? My manual switch told me there wasn't, but then again it is 105F here.

Car does seem to take forever to warm up.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Could you explain the "ol 3/8 Fuel line on the post" thing? I've never herd of this.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 AM